Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Half marthon training and weight training?

Options
2»

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    For those disputing the notion of training "opposing" goals, and I suppose for those agreeing and wanting more info, check out "The hybrid athlete" by Alex Viada.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    OP the simple answer is yes. But if you want to lean down for running dynamics such as being faster etc.. Then you should focus on that. Weight training requires recovery!

Do I gain tons of mass doing this, NO I DO NOT. I pretty much level off in weight training while training for HM's and then taper the running training way down after the race is over to re focus on weight training. Weight training actually helps my running. This is duel focused goals, but weight training is used as a tool not really for building mass, I focus on that after the race is over.

You have to figure out the math to do both to do plenty of protein, plenty of calories, a slight deficit, slower fat loss, but you are fueled to do both. It takes discipline, discipline and more of it. So you want to do both now?

Personally if I had 5 - 10 pounds to loose for training for a HM I would focus on that, use weight training to aid in my running and cross training, when the race is over, cut down on the running immensely and then start lifting the crap out weights.

• curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I tend to workout every day. I alternate days for running and strength training. I focus the strength training mostly upper body and core and very little leg work. The running I do 3-4 miles a day. I ocasionally have a day where I just skip something and hold it back to the next day or take just a 1 mile loop or cut to 3 sets instead of 5 of something. I'm also losing a significant amount of weight at the same time.

I have recently introduced a protein shake post workout and have found that it aids my recovery quite a bit.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the advise. I am planning on joining planet fitness on Friday with my boyfriend. I am not to concerned about speed. I did my first half marathon in 3 hours and 5 minutes. I would love it even if I cut 10 minutes off it but I wouldn't feel bad if I didn't. I don't plan on bulking up but just wanna get over my fear of the weight. I would love to drop what I gained but if I just maintain I can live with that.