Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Clean eatings dirty secrets

Options
2»

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    It's like the term "junk food" what I class as "junk food" others wouldn't and what some people class as "clean eating" others wouldn't.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    True.

I think of junk food as having a more consistent meaning, though -- high cal, low nutrient -- although what people put in the category differs. Also, we all understand it as slang without a consistent meaning.

"Clean" gets used as if it did have a consistent meaning when it does not, and increasingly the meaning is all over the place -- mostly "not processed" (although people seem not to understand that processed actually does have a meaning and, yes, protein powder and cheese are processed), but sometimes "in accordance with the diet I am following" and increasingly just "in a way I think is healthy." Plus, there's the inherent religious/Biblical connotations -- non kosher being unclean and all that.

That's why I find it more annoying. (And yeah, I know, call me Don Quixote.)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    These clean eating threads amuse me. People get so bent out of shape at the term when most terms on these forums have various meanings. I've even seen differing meanings for "vegetables" and 'fast food".
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    naijaman wrote: »
    I've always seen clean eating as eating a balanced diet while ensuring to not exceed my daily intake of sugar, carbs, fat and protein.

that is not clean eating..that is more IIFYM...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My idea of clean eating is: Wash the cow poop off the vegetables before chopping, weighing, and cooking them. If something does fall on the floor, pick it up, rinse off any visible floor stuff that stuck to the food, and put it in the pot because nothing survives cooking.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    I've given up trying to "label" my diet. I'm just eating what I want for a healthy lifestyle and counting calories to lose weight. I don't think anyone should tell anyone what they should or shouldn't eat (unless for medical reasons) as we're all different and all make our own choices and have to live by those choices.

This is precisely why I swapped Weight Watchers for MFP. The new smartpoints program really punishes you for any sugar intake. Sure, I don't think I ought to be double-fisting C&H Pure Cane Sugar all day long. But when I'm on the go and grab a protein bar, I take exception to it being a third of my "daily points allowance" versus less than a quarter of my calorie target for the day.

Some folks do great cutting out all sugar, and I bow to them. But if you told me it was the only option for weight loss, I would have to really think hard about whether it would be worth it. Same is true for other restrictive "clean" programs. Maybe I'll get there someday. Not there today. 80/20 rule is better for me.

I don't bow to them, I feel sorry for them. Being able to still eat things I enjoy just for the shear joy of their taste (in moderation) sounds way better than having to cut them out entirely.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I've given up trying to "label" my diet. I'm just eating what I want for a healthy lifestyle and counting calories to lose weight. I don't think anyone should tell anyone what they should or shouldn't eat (unless for medical reasons) as we're all different and all make our own choices and have to live by those choices.

This is precisely why I swapped Weight Watchers for MFP. The new smartpoints program really punishes you for any sugar intake. Sure, I don't think I ought to be double-fisting C&H Pure Cane Sugar all day long. But when I'm on the go and grab a protein bar, I take exception to it being a third of my "daily points allowance" versus less than a quarter of my calorie target for the day.

Some folks do great cutting out all sugar, and I bow to them. But if you told me it was the only option for weight loss, I would have to really think hard about whether it would be worth it. Same is true for other restrictive "clean" programs. Maybe I'll get there someday. Not there today. 80/20 rule is better for me.

I don't bow to them, I feel sorry for them. Being able to still eat things I enjoy just for the shear joy of their taste (in moderation) sounds way better than having to cut them out entirely.

I do that, and my daily sugar intake almost never exceeds 5g. It's almost like some of us don't like sweet things, or something. ;)
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Ask ten people what "clean eating" is and you'll get twelve different answers.
    Exactly. Most consider eliminating sugar as clean eating whereas I don't because I put it in healthy whole foods like oatmeal, juice and smoothies etc. In fact I use up nearly 3 lbs of sugar per month.

And of course, it has to be Turbinado/Raw cane sugar. I stopped using bleached white sugar because...ew..that's not clean eating (excessive processing) lol.

Also, my definition of clean eating for ice cream is it has to have less than 7 ingredients. Anything more than that is pure junk food. Can't have that! Gotta eat clean.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I do that, and my daily sugar intake almost never exceeds 5g. It's almost like some of us don't like sweet things, or something. ;)

Most people making threads about this topic on here do like them though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat sweet things because you don't really like them, that's not really cutting it out. I don't eat McD's or most fast food because I don't care for it -- it would be odd for me to claim I cut it out when I never ate it and don't think of doing so. Similarly, I never cut out cold cereal or canned tuna -- I simply don't eat them because they are terrible.