Substitutes for rice

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

hmmm correct if I am wrong but rice is a grain, so white rice would be a complex carb which should "comprise the majority of your daily carb intake" your words not mine...

Ok let me correct you..White Rice has had the grain removed during the milling process. I explain the process in detail in a previous post. You know instead of just "trolling" the boards to instigate arguments and derail threads.

You are really pretty, but I think you need a drink so you stop getting so upset. :tongue:

Mimosa?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

hmmm correct if I am wrong but rice is a grain, so white rice would be a complex carb which should "comprise the majority of your daily carb intake" your words not mine...

Ok let me correct you..White Rice has had the grain removed during the milling process. I explain the process in detail in a previous post. You know instead of just "trolling" the boards to instigate arguments and derail threads.

You are really pretty, but I think you need a drink so you stop getting so upset. :tongue:

Mimosa?

cauliflower mimosa?

edited because ive had too many mimosas, and cant seem to spell it correctly.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Really I said the entire continent of Asia eats garbage?.
    You INSINUATE that people that eat it are "garbage eaters" if you call it "garbage" which you did. Are you denying that? Don't sugar coat your statement. Either that or be much "clearer" about what you're trying to convey.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I did NOT insinuate that people who eat white rice are "garbage eaters". I can say "white rice is garbage" without insinuating that everything you eat is garbage. I said the white rice itself is garbage and has no nutritional content. Stop attacking me, stop nitpicking everything I say, stop putting words into my mouth. Stick to answering the OP question and stop harrasing me about it because it's becoming extremely obnoxious by you and all the other men on this forum that get their tiny panties in a bunch whenever someone disagrees with them. Check your ego at the door.

Rice is PART of a lot of Asian culture..to the point it is even important to various ceremonies and festivals. So you calling it garbage is like calling them and their culture garbage.
  • sstillwell
    sstillwell Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Buckwheat groats / kasha? High in protein and pretty dang tasty (in my opinion) although you're not going to mistake it for rice...
  • whierd
    Options
    Honestly, I think extending the garbage comment to include Asian culture is a bit of a stretch. Like people who hate hot dogs, do they hate America?

Wait, the answer is yes.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Wow. A LOT of people obviously woke up on the wrong side today.

Beverly Hills, I completely get what you're saying. Choosing quality foods is important, and the OP has been bombarded with jerks ridiculing him for wanting a substitute for white rice. Really? Isn't this site supposed to be a place people can go for advice and suggestions? Why all the hate? Maybe the OP asked because of health issues (insulin resistance, whatever) or maybe the OP just doesn't like white rice. Does it matter the reason? Everyone take a freakin' chill pill and just answer the dang question posed! If you can't be nice, then just shut up!

That said....OP----I LOVE cauliflower rice and quinoa. You seriously couldn't go wrong with either. Best of luck in your search!

right, we are jerks for pointing out that it is OK to eat carbs - unless you have some sort of medical condition - as long as you keep said carb intake within your carb/calorie goal for the day ...

Are you saying that if you eat white rice and eat in deficit that you will GAIN weight?

Some of us were also pointing out that Cauliflower has CARBS in it as does rice...so please tell me why the cauliflower carb is better than the white rice carb, and how your body distinguishes between the two?

To answer your question 1. Cauliflower has less carbs and is much lower in calories. To answer your other question your body does react differently to simple carbs as opposed to complex carbs, here is a little explanation of the process.

Simple Carbs vs Complex Carbs

High carb foods are defined as simple or complex based on their chemical structure.

The “simpler” that structure is, the faster your body will digest and absorb that food (think sugar, candy, soda, etc.).

The more “complex” that structure is, the slower the digestion and absorption process will be (think vegetables, beans, grains, etc.).

And this digestion/absorption rate is important because, the faster this process takes place within your body, the more it spikes your blood insulin levels.

For this reason, diets high in simple carbs have been shown to increase our risk of diabetes and heart disease, while diets high in complex carbs have actually been shown to help do the opposite.

Simple carbs also tend to be highly processed junk that lacks any nutritional value of any kind, while complex carbs are typically unprocessed, high in fiber, and high in various other important nutrients, vitamins and minerals.

And overall health and nutrition aside, simple carbs are also less filling, which means you’ll be hungrier sooner after eating them. Not to mention, that large spike in blood sugar will result in a crash soon after, and that crash signals hunger and food cravings.

So, as you can clearly see here for many obvious reasons:

Simple carbs should typically be greatly limited/avoided.
    Complex carbs should comprise the majority of your daily carb intake.

Copy and pasted from previous post in this thread since you decided to ignore it:
    If anyone participating in the thread or lurking is really curious about carbs being as bad as someone is saying, then please feel free to join this group and ask an actual registered dietitan.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/13155-ask-the-dietitian

Tony has addressed this question before if you want to lurk through the threads to find it.

ETA links to a few threads where he has addressed carbs:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/960761-very-low-carb-mornings
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/953531-protein-carbs
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/938066-whole-grains-carbs
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

Mimosa?

I'll take a Bellini with grilled cauliflower on the side please, no white rice!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Really I said the entire continent of Asia eats garbage?.
    You INSINUATE that people that eat it are "garbage eaters" if you call it "garbage" which you did. Are you denying that? Don't sugar coat your statement. Either that or be much "clearer" about what you're trying to convey.

IDEA Fitness member

I did NOT insinuate that people who eat white rice are "garbage eaters". I can say "white rice is garbage" without insinuating that everything you eat is garbage. I said the white rice itself is garbage and has no nutritional content. Stop attacking me, stop nitpicking everything I say, stop putting words into my mouth. Stick to answering the OP question and stop harrasing me about it because it's becoming extremely obnoxious by you and all the other men on this forum that get their tiny panties in a bunch whenever someone disagrees with them. Check your ego at the door.

1 cup of white rice has 204 calories, 0.5g fat, 44g carb (0.5g fiber) and 4g protein.

it's low calorie, satiating, helps give you & your brain ready energy, and even kicks in a modest amount of protein.

how is that "no nutritional content"? what is missing that would make you say that?

keep in mind, this isn't a personal attack, i am just trying to understand your perspective.
  • whierd
    Options

Mimosa?

I will make you one of my grilled Cauliburgers. It is like a hamburger, I swears!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Funny how you actually just said you dont nitpick all of my posts. Actually your posts are very aggressive and have nothing to do with the actual OP question. I am allowed to have an opinion without you nitpicking and then rewording everything I post. I also stated many facts throughout this entire thread including the nutritional content of white rice and comparing the content of better substitutions which unlike you actually responds to the OP. I've also posted the actual process for making white rice as well as various reasons why many Asian cultures have white rice as a staple and are able to eat it without the consequences many Americans might have from it. I don't think anything you have said has had anything to do with the OP question, its all been in response to my posts, thus attacking me personally. Just give advice to the OP and move along if you don't have anything to add. if you like white rice and have no substitutions for it, maybe this isn't the thread for you.
    I nitpick because you're a "professional" and from one to another, be professional. Our personal "feelings"(calling it garbage) on food don't need to be voiced. You'll never see me do. If I don't agree with a food choice or program, I state why, back it up, then answer questions if asked.
    While it's nice that you offer information on how food is milled, produced, etc. etc., the attitude toward those that don't eat as "clean" as you is apparent. You don't have to say it, it's that apparent.
    I didn't make a suggestion to the OP because most (including you) have given good options. I did interact because I don't like to sit by and let a "professional" give out incorrect information. What caught my eye on the thread was the word RICE, since I eat rice almost everyday.

IDEA Fitness member
  • whierd
    Options
    And to give my opinion, I eat rice regularly. It is fairly low cal, filling, amd tastes great depending on how it is prepared and what is put on it. I do not eat it for its nutritional value.
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    why is your fall back always mcdonals and big macs? Do you work for burger king or something? This thread is about rice and carbs not big macs and your disdain for mcdonalds....wow..

Also, you always dive bomb the threads with arguments that go to nowhere..so I think you are trolling...and this comes from a professional troll...

this made me laugh so hard!! it's a burger king conspiracy! love it!!
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

Mimosa?

I will make you one of my grilled Cauliburgers. It is like a hamburger, I swears!

I'll take a real hamburger! With a cauliflower mash
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    Funny how you actually just said you dont nitpick all of my posts. Actually your posts are very aggressive and have nothing to do with the actual OP question. I am allowed to have an opinion without you nitpicking and then rewording everything I post. I also stated many facts throughout this entire thread including the nutritional content of white rice and comparing the content of better substitutions which unlike you actually responds to the OP. I've also posted the actual process for making white rice as well as various reasons why many Asian cultures have white rice as a staple and are able to eat it without the consequences many Americans might have from it. I don't think anything you have said has had anything to do with the OP question, its all been in response to my posts, thus attacking me personally. Just give advice to the OP and move along if you don't have anything to add. if you like white rice and have no substitutions for it, maybe this isn't the thread for you.
    I nitpick because you're a "professional" and from one to another, be professional. Our personal "feelings"(calling it garbage) on food don't need to be voiced. You'll never see me do. If I don't agree with a food choice or program, I state why, back it up, then answer questions if asked.
    While it's nice that you offer information on how food is milled, produced, etc. etc., the attitude toward those that don't eat as "clean" as you is apparent. You don't have to say it, it's that apparent.
    I didn't make a suggestion to the OP because most (including you) have given good options. I did interact because I don't like to sit by and let a "professional" give out incorrect information. What caught my eye on the thread was the word RICE, since I eat rice almost everyday.

IDEA Fitness member

I think if you were such a "professional" you might want to practice what you preach. You just admitted you "nitpick" through my posts, so take some words of wisdom from your own advice. I stated my opinion, backed it up, and instead of a normal discussion I got attacked by you and several others and called a person who doesn't like Asians ( even though went to college and lived in Hawaii for 7yrs so I find that just silly). I have no "attitude" towards anyone and am not a spokesmodel for the "eating clean diet". In fact if you actually took the time to read some of my posts I recommend eating foods you enjoy in moderation. What I don't do is tell you that certain foods are healthy, when they are stripped of all their nutritional content. Again, stop nitpicking and making your own assumptions based off things I've never actually said, its not very professional.
    1 cup of white rice has 204 calories, 0.5g fat, 44g carb (0.5g fiber) and 4g protein.

it's low calorie, satiating, helps give you & your brain ready energy, and even kicks in a modest amount of protein.

how is that "no nutritional content"? what is missing that would make you say that?

keep in mind, this isn't a personal attack, i am just trying to understand your perspective.

Hi BrainyBurro, I discussed this several posts back which I am sure is buried through all this back and forth nonsense. The nutrients in white rice are stripped through milling and put back through fortifying. Whereas grains such as wild rice and quinoa do not go through this process and contain even more nutrients that were not manmade. This was developed to help countries that were nutrient deficient due to a lack of proper food sources. It is my personal opinion and many experts agree that we are better off getting our nutrients straight from the actual source rather than from foods that have been enriched or fortified with vitamins to make them appear to be healthier.

Here is a nice little discussion on it, you are welcome to draw your own conclusions and look into the pro's vs cons, but I think most americans are at the point where we can afford to make better decisions.

http://www.today.com/id/16892345/ns/today-money/t/are-vitamin-fortified-foods-healthier/#.UeA7bkGmiAg
  • PikaKnight
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I think if you were such a "professional" you might want to practice what you preach. You just admitted you "nitpick" through my posts, so take some words of wisdom from your own advice. I stated my opinion, backed it up, and instead of a normal discussion I got attacked by you and several others and called a person who doesn't like Asians ( even though went to college and lived in Hawaii for 7yrs so I find that just silly). I have no "attitude" towards anyone and am not a spokesmodel for the "eating clean diet". In fact if you actually took the time to read some of my posts I recommend eating foods you enjoy in moderation. What I don't do is tell you that certain foods are healthy, when they are stripped of all their nutritional content. Again, stop nitpicking and making your own assumptions based off things I've never actually said, its not very professional.

What does graduating from Hawaii have to do it? Because there are Asians there? Ummmm.....not really a valid response to that, just saying.

And as I explained, rice is a very important part of the Asian culture...to the point that it is important in ceremonies and festivals. Calling it garbage is like saying that parts or their culture that relies on rice is garbage.

As for the carbs thing - I suggest you read what an actual dietitian wrote before continuing to spout off on that subject.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    I have seen a LOT of fat asians.

yea, they all live in the US and go to mcdonalds three times a day...

yeah, I lived in south east asia for a year and the in the country I lived in they eat white rice 4 meals a day and there were very few obese people - they also ate a lot of fried foods and I did not see a bunch of low fat, non sugar etc stuff in the grocery stores.

Know what else they ate? Small portions
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    Really I said the entire continent of Asia eats garbage? Please don't put words in my mouth. Now we are stereotyping that all of asia only eats rice? And you do realize there are many different "Asian" cultures as well. The cultures in which you are assuming have diets that are also high in vegetables and protein and very low in sugars and sweets. They also live completely different lives than most sedentary Americans who work a typical desk or computer job. Their primary mode of transportation is walking. There are big differences between our culture and theirs. To make the assumption "Asians eat a lot of rice and stay healthy so we can too". Does not work unless you are taking into account their entire diet and activity level. Asian cultures have a higher daily activity level than those here in America. Do I still think white rice is "garbage" yes I think it has been stripped of all nutrients, fortified with the vitamins that were removed, and contains no fiber. The reason its eaten in such high quantities in many Asian cultures is because of its affordability and accessibility which has in turn made the staple of rice part of their culture. Just like spam became part of Hawaii's culture, but I'm not going to tell you I think its healthy.

Here is a quick little article on taking into account the reasons Asian cultures eat rice and stay thin to the diet of Americans. As you will see many of the points I made are listed, and he lists a few others that are also fair to take note of.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/why-are-asian-rice-eaters-thin

that article is totally biased and does not account for the many people that eat rice in these cultures and are not overly active.

Sure that argument might work for the poorer parts of the population, but when I lived in the Philippines, the wealthier population ate white rice (not brown rice like the article suggests) and they are not working in the fields. Their main mode of transportation was by vehicle - not walking. And at that time (15 or so years ago) the women in particular were not very active (some were but the majority weren't overly active).

They also ate a lot of fried food (or food cooked in oil)

The argument might work for the poorer populations but it is completely ignoring the more affluent populations that are still not obese eating rice and sweets

They did however eat WAY smaller portions than a typical north american

it isn't the rice that makes people fat - it is eating too much of it. Too much of anything will make you fat.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I have never used cauliflower as a sub for rice; but I make some awesome cauliflower mash and its superb!!

Oh wait...I have this recipe for raw Spanish "rice" and it uses cauliflower. it is way good.

Spanish “Rice” Yields: 4 Servings
    The cauliflower retains a ricelike shape and texture in this innovative dish (I like this one)
    1 head cauliflower
    2 ripe tomatoes, diced
    1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and mashed or diced
    1 orange bell pepper, diced
    4 green onions, finely chopped
    ¼ cup chopped cilantro (or parsley)
    ¼ cup cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
    2 TBSP freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1 jalapeno chile, minced (optional)
    1 TBSP paprika
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp sea salt
    Grate the cauliflower (or chop in a food processor until rice like) and transfer it to a large bowl. Add the other ingredients and mix well. Yummy!

The cauliflower mash is simply:

Steam a medium sized cauliflower w/little sea salt, pepper and garlic (until desired softness; not too mushy but not too al dente)
    Puree in your blender or food processor
    Add in 1 cup of Fage 0% Plain Yogurt
    A little sea salt, pepper & garlic to taste
    I add a little I can't believe its not butter spray (use something else if desired or nothing)
    And it is DELISH

On another note - have you tried quinoa for rice? I love it; it is the only "grain" that contains a whole protein.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I think if you were such a "professional" you might want to practice what you preach. You just admitted you "nitpick" through my posts, so take some words of wisdom from your own advice.
    I nitpick through posts on threads I engage in. I'm NOT following you around.:yawn:
    I stated my opinion, backed it up, and instead of a normal discussion I got attacked by you and several others and called a person who doesn't like Asians ( even though went to college and lived in Hawaii for 7yrs so I find that just silly).
    You stated your opinion about rice having no nutritional value and I refuted that it did with evidence. How is that picking on you? I was merely showing that your statement had no merit. Why act like a martyr?
    I have no "attitude" towards anyone and am not a spokesmodel for the "eating clean diet".
    As mentioned, it's apparent. Why do you think others, not only men here and other posts, question some of your stances?
    In fact if you actually took the time to read some of my posts I recommend eating foods you enjoy in moderation.
    As long as it's not McDonald's or fast food.:laugh:
    What I don't do is tell you that certain foods are healthy, when they are stripped of all their nutritional content. Again, stop nitpicking and making your own assumptions based off things I've never actually said, its not very professional.
    You're really good at deflecting questions asked of you and making look like you're a victim of circumstance. I haven't questioned anything that you've stated as more nutritionally dense. In fact, I'd back you up on it. Where I question you on several posts is your stance on certain foods with actually no evidence to back it. Quit reading between the lines and look at what is asked of you objectively. And as a professional it shouldn't bother you to be questioned. I don't know everything. In fact I've eaten crow here on the forums on several occasions when confronted with actual evidence by others. I don't take it personally, I find it refreshing that I'm corrected when wrong.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I want to know why a professional would advise their clients to eat garbage. Even "in moderation" you still recommend that they eat garbage. What the actual.