Please allow me to introduce myself...

Replies

• rickmillercpil
    rickmillercpil Posts: 18 Member
    Rick here. My weight went up slowly as I aged, as weight will do if you don't watch the sneaky b'tard. Hit 255 at one time, but was hovering at about 240, obese by any chart. I got a FitBit last year, but my weight still worked back up to 253 in March, so I got serious. I've been a member here for some time, but reconnected in June or July. Turned 65 in June and I've lost 38 pounds since March 29, counting calories and walking 8 - 10 miles a day. I'm starting to put some weight training into my plan now. I'm lucky that the company I work for, Human Kinetics Publishing, has a workout room on site.
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Welcome Rick, we're glad you stopped by. Great progress!! Stick around, we like company!!
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Hey, @rickmillercpil! Welcome to GoaD. Congrats on your weight loss success. That's a lot of walking!
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Welcome @rickmillercpil ! Great job now that you've set your mind to your objectives (I prefer that to 'goal' since goal sounds like you're done when you're there and we're never done with this--at least not 'til they're engraving our name on a stone slab).

Looking forward to your participation here. It sounds like you'd have some great insight and experience to share! Hang in there--onward and downward, right?
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Welcome to all the "newbies" :)
  • BigMan2FitMan
    BigMan2FitMan Posts: 3 Member
    Hello everyone! I'm not on WW but I am watching what I eat for about two months and counting my calories for about 30 days. Like I said I'm not doing WW but I am doing Intermittent Fasting (IF). Monday- Thursday I lift weights at a local gym for 60 minutes a day. I workout in a fasted state every time I workout and so far it has been working well for me.
  • minimyzeme
    Welcome @BigMan2FitMan ! Doesn't matter to us what program you're working. In fact, will be curious to hear more about yours. This isn't exclusively a WW board (nor exclusively men) but we're all working toward similar goals and it's great to have you join us. Don't be bashful!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Welcome! I'm a counter too - there are a bunch of us here, so you are in good company!
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    edited November 2017
    Welcome BigMan
  • rcreynol3090
    rcreynol3090 Posts: 174 Member
    Hi, I'm Robert. I've been in a lifestyle change since July 18 of this year, the day I had my chest cut open like a gutted fish for a double bypass. I took it as a wake-up call, and decided to change my diet, start walking and exercising, and lose some tonnage (I've been overweight most of my life).
    So far, I've lost 45# by cutting added sugar and salt for a.heart healthy diet, and logging my meals on MFP. I'm fortunate that my DW is committed to helping me get healthy.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,856 Member
    Welcome Robert. I'm 7 weeks out from a triple bypass myself. However, I've been on this journey, this time, about 8 years, most of which has been a member of GoaD. As you see it's Guys and Gals on a diet.
    Pretty much straight shooters who've been doing this awhile, so pick our brains, and really get involved.
  • minimyzeme
    Hi @rcreynol3090 and welcome aboard. Sounds as if you've been 'scared straight' enough to make some fantastically positive changes. Good for you (and your loved ones)! Like Al said, don't be bashful about joining in; this place is at its best when we learn from each other. You're off to a great start--keep at it!
  • rcreynol3090
    rcreynol3090 Posts: 174 Member
    Thanks for the welcome!
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 865 Member
    Welcome Robert! Congrats on the 45#. Good sign that you recognize a lifestyle change and not just a diet. There really is not a point at which you say 'I lost x pounds, I'm done'.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Welcome to GoaD, @rcreynol3090!
  • I'm in my mid 20s of average height and gained a lot of weight very quickly after a car accident in 2014. I'm scared of the gym and even self conscious of working out in my own home because my parents and younger brother tease so much. They aren't trying to be mean but I'm a bit of an introvert so... I'm also limited in what I can do because I still don't have full range of motion in my ankles. I'm trying to lose 83lbs which is very difficult when you're afraid to workout...I also work in a fast food restaurant which makes eating healthy tough. So does the fact that I'm a ridiculously picky eater. I blame my mother. I need help. Lots of help. I've started disguising my workouts as me playing DDR or just dance but with my limited movements I'm not entirely sure how much it's helping. I have no money for a gym membership not that I could ever get myself to go to one anyway. And I don't even have any close friends to rely on..one won't speak to me anymore because I'm not in love with him, one never outgrew her rebelliousness, and one has 2 kids and a husband and is trying to go to beauty school and has no time for anything at all. We litterally have to plan months in advance if we want to hang out. Someone help me...
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    @allielichablanca Welcome - I'm glad you are here! I know how it can be without family support... I'm in the same boat. It took months before anyone in my family was willing to take it seriously that this was important to me... and there is still no support, but now at least they tolerate my difference in lifestyle. :)

Start... don't give up. It gets better.
  • minimyzeme
    Hey @allielichablanca , this can be a great place for support! Thanks for the intro; feel free to jump into any thread or start a new one!
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I'm trying to lose 83lbs which is very difficult when you're afraid to workout...I also work in a fast food restaurant which makes eating healthy tough. So does the fact that I'm a ridiculously picky eater. I blame my mother.

First, welcome to our group. You'll find lots of support here. But you'll also receive a lot of "straight-shooting". And I'll start :)

Remove the word "trying" and replace it with "I will lose 83 pounds". I managed to lose 75+ pounds without ever stepping foot inside a gym (at the age of 54!). In fact, I did very little formal "exercise" of any kind. There are many ways to increase your activity without actual "exercise". You lose weight in the kitchen. You gain strength through exercise.

I understand that working a fast food restaurant can make healthy eating tough. But is it really IMPOSSIBLE?

You're an adult now. Put your big girl panties on and stop being such a picky eater. Even picky eaters can lose weight. Let me guess. You "don't like most vegetables", right? And your mom never made you eat them when you were growing up?

Good luck with your weight loss.

• Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,681 Member
    @allielichablanca , Welcome to Goad. Good intro you can do this. Great support here feel free to ask questions this is how we learn. When someone is straight forward don't run take their advice. This is a great group