Does this really work?

13»

Replies

• LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    @CincyNeid Wow!!! That's fabulous!!!! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    kschramm7 wrote: »
    New to MyFitnessPal but not to dieting. I've lost 80 lbs using Weight Watchers and am at a healthy weight for the first time in my adult life (and I just turned 50!). I go to the gym 3+ x a week, take spin and Ab & Glut classes mostly but just started working out with a trainer (just once a week for now). If I can't get to the gym, I have a treadmill, stationary bike & elliptical at home to use.

So I'm 5'6", 152 lbs and 50 yrs old. I work as a programmer so I'm on my butt most of the day. Weather permitting I do go for a pretty good walk at lunch. MapMyWalk calculated it at 3.75 miles at 15.4 mph, with a 300 foot change in elevation and said I burned 697 calories, which I find REALLY hard to believe.

I wear a pedometer daily and make sure to get in at least 10,000 steps a day also, so I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not a couch potato.

When I entered my stats, and that I wanted to continue to lose 1/2 pound a week, it calculated my "net calories" at 1420 a day.

Really? Lets forget the "net" part. Can I really eat 1400 calories a day and lose weight? Or have you found that your real calorie intake has to be lower than the app calculates?

Considering that on average women maintain at around 1800 - 2000 calories per day...of course it would work...provided of course that you are accurate and consistent with what you're doing.

Personally, I found my initial calories to be low...I was trying to lose about 1 Lb per week and was losing closer to 1.5 - 2 Lbs per week so I ended up bumping my calories up from 1800 to 2100-2200 calories per day and lost about 1 Lb per week.