NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Replies

• trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,875 Member
    edited November 2022
    @cbabie I'm sorry you are in pain. I hope it gets better soon. I hate when my eggs won't peel. LOL about the instant pot and the eggs. That usually happens for me with my homemade cranberry sauce! I'm glad it was a good day. Thank you, I appreciate it. It makes me so mad we have to deal with another leak. I have to say that the decorations I put up so far look nice. I will attach a couple of pictures. I made the silver snowflakes that are hanging from the ceiling with my Cricut.

@Tamevv LOL yeah I made sure to wear my fat pants on Thursday. ;) That's great you've thought about where you want to be during the holiday season. When you say "gone bush", I assume that means you went out into the wilderness? The leak...it is getting sorted out yes. But only because the HOA sent over a handyman which they didn't have to do but did. Yeah food prices, I try to stick with store brands and buy the sale stuff too but even so, ridiculous. Oh my gosh, a wallaby! Amazing!

Hi all. I did a lot of crafting yesterday and I went and got groceries for the week. I did go to Kohl's for Black Friday but I only got two things: the dress that Daisy has on in the picture, and some kitchen towels. Today, I'm getting my hair done and probably more crafting.

Water yesterday: 30 oz

My phrase for the year: "Something needs to change…so I will take no crap and eat no crap!

88ejogcigiym.jpg
    9r5zxe4apndz.jpg
    2ww73pqx95i8.jpg
  • gemwolf110
    gemwolf110 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Good Morning!

Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving 🍁 🦃🍽 been a busy few weeks. Crunch time for end of year goals with work. Getting things lined up for Christmas and starting the MBA program in January. Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend!

~ Missy
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,213 Member
    @trooworld Your Thanksgiving sounded good. How do you butterfly a turkey? It's my favorite holiday. Of course my favorite thing is watching the Macy's parade waiting for Santa.

@cbabie Sounds like a good fun day you had. Try salting the water before you boil the eggs. I read that once and it worked for me. I listen to podcasts when I clean. Occasionally at the gym when I'm lifting weights.

@Tamevv You know in America everyone is so fat that it almost makes it "normal" and acceptable. You can buy plus sizes everywhere. Sometimes in 3X. But that doesn't make it a good healthy thing. I think it just makes it harder. I think it's a good thought to try and maintain a bit of where you are and then try and start again. 1) I think it tricks the body as the body is always trying to keep your weight at a certain level (setpoint) 2) You are practicing maintenance skills for when the time comes and you are at your final goal. Slow roasted banana....trying to imagine that. Is it like roasting marshmallows? ooh a wallaby. Sounds so peaceful just out in nature. I just looked up and my mil is watching National Geographic and a wallaby was on the TV. Maybe a kangaroo? Oh they just said kangaroo birth control. LOL I guess wallabies are smaller.

Interesting observation: I just reread my post to Tamevv and I put an awful lot of I think in there. I think my journaling practicing is bleeding over to these posts......

So I have done some thinking myself and trying to figure out the best course of action to get in my exercise. I was doing fine at dd's house going to the gym consistently at 3:30. For some reason, I can't do that at my house. So I'm going to try and do it first thing in the mornings. I opted to wake up an hour earlier so I can still have my journaling/meditation time. I had to swap around my "ideal day" in my calendar and I'm hoping this will work. No scratch that. I'm going to make this work. I will begin on Monday as I take off on Sundays.

• theslightedgeforever
    I missed a whole page of comments somehow.

@trooworld Love the color of blue on your walls. It makes the silver snowflakes just pop

@gemwolf110 So excited for you to begin your MBA journey in January. Add some plans in there for your health journey. Are you the kind to stress eat or not?

This was a nice article I read.

https://livinglikeleila.com/focus-on-creating-systems-rather-than-setting-goals/
  • senoritafloridita
    senoritafloridita Posts: 79 Member
    @trooworld Wow that's awful about the upstairs leak and how uncooperative the unit owner is. Glad you enjoyed the TG meal. That is such a cute dress Daisy has on!

@theslightedgeforever From your notes, seems like that was a good webinar.

@cbabie Hope you're feeling better. Glad you had a nice TG. Thanks for the well wishes.

@Tamevv That's good you're keeping up with exercise and that sounds like a nice lunch over the fire. Sounds like you're in Australia?

I was able to make it to family TG. Covid/flu tests were negative but my energy got wiped out. I will probably have to take it easy and recover this weekend. At least I got back on plan with Nutrisystem after TG. It was a good meal. Met some of hubby's family who had flown up from New Zealand.
  • Tamevv
    Tamevv Posts: 331 Member
    @theslightedgeforever. Yep wallabies essentially look just like a small kangaroo - about knee height at rest and they can stretch up a bit when alert. Here in Tassie we also have a Pademelon which is smaller again and similar in general appearance but face is kinda different and back legs aren’t as prominent. They are both really common everywhere in Tas, but its still nice to see them out and about 😊. Yesterdays wildlife included echidna, wallaby, deer, pademelon, lizards, yellow tailed black cockatoos (not rare like the reds but still nice to see up close) and some new tiny orchids I had not seen before. Also the bumble bees were out in force which I love hearing hover about. They are so fluffy and cute - we call them teddybear bees 😁. No snakes out yet but next month will have to be on watch for them. I do love it. And yes @trooworld, just literally bush - we have a pocket of native bush in the highlands where we camp and relax. Cant wait till we have time to stay more than a day. Oh banana - super easy dessert for one - leave banana in skin, slit end to end and stuff some chocolate in the slice (anything that will melt, have even done it with Kit Kat) and sit it on the hot rocks around the fire or near the embers once you are done cooking - not too hot so it will burn but just enough heat to warm it till the chocolate melts. Eat with a fork right out of the skin 😁.

I am a big fan of exercise first thing. I make sure my clothes are ready to go before bed even though I often feel like there is not way I’m getting up for it in the morning. But regardless how I go to bed, I always wake up and feel like I can do it. Almost always - I think I’ve missed a handful since September. Lately it has seemed a bit of a chore but I just go through the motions and get it done. And I always feel good about it after.

I read the article you linked to, and liked it - thanks. I always try to add the “how” part to my goals - it’s all well and good to know where you want to end up, but it’s the getting there part that people struggle with. It reminded me again of the idea of doing things for your future self - caring for and nurturing her and setting her up for success. That idea from No Zero Days really stuck with me and I use that thinking often - what does the me i want to be next year need me to do now in order for her to exist?

@senioritafloridita Yep, Sunny Tasmania 😊. Not too far from New Zealand, but I’ve never been there. Maybe one day. I’m told it is beautiful.
  • gemwolf110
    I missed a whole page of comments somehow.

@trooworld Love the color of blue on your walls. It makes the silver snowflakes just pop

@gemwolf110 So excited for you to begin your MBA journey in January. Add some plans in there for your health journey. Are you the kind to stress eat or not?

This was a nice article I read.

https://livinglikeleila.com/focus-on-creating-systems-rather-than-setting-goals/

Yes I will. And yes I stress eat and boredom eat. Not a good combo.
  • gemwolf110
    And I did get my tree decorated with lights. Still have to put ornaments on. But making progress want to go all out this year but don’t know if I have time to put everything out

f8siya7od38a.jpeg
  • trooworld
    @gemwolf110 I hope you had a good Thanksgiving, too! Good luck getting everything done. Enjoy the rest of your weekend! Your tree is beautiful! What a magnificent angel on top.

@theslightedgeforever It was really good. We cut out the backbone, and then put the breast side down and kind of smashed it down until the bones broke and it would lay flat. This is the recipe we used, it has a helpful video or two: https://www.seriouseats.com/butterfiled-roast-turkey-with-gravy-recipe Thanksgiving is my husband's favorite holiday, too. I love watching the parade, too, I think I watched almost all of it this year and then I watched the National Dog Show after that. I think it makes sense to switch to morning exercise and see if that works/make it work. Good luck! Thanks, the blue is just on the one wall as an accent, but I love it too. That was a good article, very timely with the end of the year coming up. I think I *try* to have systems in place for my health goals (drink 50 oz of water a day, track all my meals) but I don't take it far enough. Did you also read this article that was linked in the systems article? It was pretty good, too: https://livinglikeleila.com/14-ways-to-develop-a-growth-mindset/

@senoritafloridita Yeah, it really stinks! Thank you, Daisy is our little princess! I'm glad you were able to make it to TG with your family. And yay for not having the flu or Covid! Sory you were/are so wiped out.

@Tamevv Thanks for telling us more about your bush adventure. The banana dessert sounds delicious! My husband just made banana bread with chocolate chips in it, which was really good. The "how" is very important, I think.

Hi all. I got my hair done yesterday and did some more crafting. Made tuna melts for dinner with seasoned pressure cooked baby potatoes. This morning, I am going to the zoo with a friend of mine. She is taking me for lunch afterward. She made the reservation for 1:30, which is 1 hour 30 minutes after I usually eat and this won't work, I'll be far too hungry by then. I'm kind of miffed at her making such a late reservation. She said if we get done early at the zoo, we can try to get a table or go somewhere else for lunch. I won't last that long at the zoo because of my knee (it's not bothering me now but after a few hours, it will be). I will bring some nuts to eat to try to stave off the hunger but really, I'm not interested in eating that late. Also, we eat dinner at about 5:30 so if I eat at 1:30, I won't be hungry for dinner. And we go to bed early so I have to eat early.

My phrase for the year: "Something needs to change…so I will take no crap and eat no crap!
  • Tamevv
    Tamevv Posts: 331 Member
    edited November 2022
    Had a run-in with chocolate last night ☹️. Not quite sure what happened - just mindless - I wasn’t thinking at all. Am annoyed at myself but today is another day 😊

@troworld Hope the day works out one way or another. Awareness of the issues is great forward planning on your part.

@gemwolf Tree looks great!
  • gemwolf110
    Thank you! Weekend was nice! Got everything done that I wanted to get done and fit in a few hours of OT.

Tamevv - chocolate is the worst it’s just too yummy

Trooworld- how was the zoo? My local zoo has a light display I want to check out.
  • trooworld
    @Tamevv Today is definitely a new day. I agree with @gemwolf110, chocolate is too yummy! Yes, the day worked out fine.

@gemwolf110 The zoo was awesome. Ours has a light display, too, but unfortunately, you can't see it during the day.

Hi all. I had a great time with my friend at the zoo yesterday. She loves the primates, too, so we spent most of our time observing them. We got done early so we went to eat at about 12:30 which worked out well. The restaurant was so-so, the service wasn't very good but I was grateful for my friend's company and the meal. Today is back to work boo.

• cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,563 Member
    Morning all, I have had a weekend. I am not on track for my eating and exercise. Friday night I was trying to do some yoga stretches for my back and ended up not being able to move. I called for my DH and he was useless, had to send baby girl to go get my daughter, who helped me roll over, put ice and heat, got me blankets and sat me up to sleep...went to a Chiropractor which I said I would NEVER do, had a bad visit one time LONG ago....well he asked me several questions, started pushing stretching, etc, moved me one way and my back froze up again...it me a minute to get off the table( roll over and off)..he is sending me for xrays, then if I don't have any fractures or compression whatever things...he will start SLOWLY stretching..I will say I felt better Sunday, but had a bad night..I am living off of 800 MG of ibuprofen every 8 hours...so going to try to go for a walk with babies today...we will see.

@Tamevv I made deviled eggs,https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/6866-classic-deviled-eggs
    its always interesting to read your post, causes me to see another side of the world. My "four corners" as my kids call it is a very small view..LOL. I love journaling as well. I think my mother poured that into me.

@trooworld I LOVE the snowflakes and yes I agree the blue is awesome. I like the "light" around your TV, looks so inviting. Glad you had some ME time.

@theslightedgeforever If I don't do exercising in the AM, I usually won't do it. I know me as I am a morning person and at night I am all done in.

@gemwolf110 I love your tree, good to see you post!!!

@senoritafloridita Yea on no covid and that you got right back on plan with NS...that's what keeps us moving forward. I am glad you enjoyed the food and knowing you could just jump back in where you left off.

Cbabie
  • theslightedgeforever
    @senoritafloridita Glad you are feeling better. Good job on getting back on plan after Thanksgiving. My weekend was good and under boundaries. It had been a horrible week. My dd and I were talking about a trip to NZ. Such a long trip there but I think worth it. We'll just add it to our list.

@Tamevv Good thought on next year me. So Tasmania. That's interesting. My hubby had a friend from there in college. They played on the soccer team together. I had to go look up exactly WHERE it was. That's good that you moved on from the chocolate. These things happen but you didn't stay in the place of "I've already blown it so I might as well eat....." thinking.

@gemwolf110 Hopefully you can find a good exercise program to offset the stress/boredom eating. Your tree is so pretty. Especially that angel

@trooworld Thanks for sharing that other article. I'll read it next. What obstacles do you see in your systems? I love banana bread with choc chips. Only way my son will eat banana bread. He doesn't realize there are bananas in it. I'm sorry your zoo/lunch day plans aren't what you anticipated. But it sounds like all went well. At least you can voice your feelings to her for next time. I hate when the restaurants are so-so. But like you said company was great.

I was listening to a podcast yesterday about the 4 weeks left of the holidays. What are your intentions about weight. She was saying it's better to just get real with yourself about how much work you want to put in. How busy will you be? how many holiday parties you will be attending? Do you want to maintain and then start the year off with a bang? Do you want to gain 3-5 lbs? Do you want to lose 1-2 lbs a week. She said the choice is entirely up to you. It takes the stress and blame game out of it. Very nice podcast.

So my plan was to get up at 5AM and go to the gym. I went to bed at 11:30 last night. About 1;30 I was wide awake and finally fell back to sleep. When the alarm went off there was no way I was heading to the gym. So I reset it for 6. Now my schedule is off. The caregiver comes in at 7. So I get up at 6 and think I'll just go in the afternoon. Brain says, you know that doesn't work. So I compromised and went to the gym and did 10 min cardio, then went on with my journaling and so forth. I did get back into the gym this afternoon and did my whole workout. So that was my obstacle this morning with my workout "system". I didn't do all or nothing thinking. I worked around it. So we'll try again tomorrow for 5 AM.
  • theslightedgeforever
    @cbabie Sorry your back is giving you such fits. I was doing so well with afternoon exercise at dd's house. Of course I was sleeping in later too. There's not as many obstacles there as there is at home.
  • gemwolf110
    @senoritafloridita Glad you are feeling better. Good job on getting back on plan after Thanksgiving. My weekend was good and under boundaries. It had been a horrible week. My dd and I were talking about a trip to NZ. Such a long trip there but I think worth it. We'll just add it to our list.

@Tamevv Good thought on next year me. So Tasmania. That's interesting. My hubby had a friend from there in college. They played on the soccer team together. I had to go look up exactly WHERE it was. That's good that you moved on from the chocolate. These things happen but you didn't stay in the place of "I've already blown it so I might as well eat....." thinking.

@gemwolf110 Hopefully you can find a good exercise program to offset the stress/boredom eating. Your tree is so pretty. Especially that angel

@trooworld Thanks for sharing that other article. I'll read it next. What obstacles do you see in your systems? I love banana bread with choc chips. Only way my son will eat banana bread. He doesn't realize there are bananas in it. I'm sorry your zoo/lunch day plans aren't what you anticipated. But it sounds like all went well. At least you can voice your feelings to her for next time. I hate when the restaurants are so-so. But like you said company was great.

I was listening to a podcast yesterday about the 4 weeks left of the holidays. What are your intentions about weight. She was saying it's better to just get real with yourself about how much work you want to put in. How busy will you be? how many holiday parties you will be attending? Do you want to maintain and then start the year off with a bang? Do you want to gain 3-5 lbs? Do you want to lose 1-2 lbs a week. She said the choice is entirely up to you. It takes the stress and blame game out of it. Very nice podcast.

So my plan was to get up at 5AM and go to the gym. I went to bed at 11:30 last night. About 1;30 I was wide awake and finally fell back to sleep. When the alarm went off there was no way I was heading to the gym. So I reset it for 6. Now my schedule is off. The caregiver comes in at 7. So I get up at 6 and think I'll just go in the afternoon. Brain says, you know that doesn't work. So I compromised and went to the gym and did 10 min cardio, then went on with my journaling and so forth. I did get back into the gym this afternoon and did my whole workout. So that was my obstacle this morning with my workout "system". I didn't do all or nothing thinking. I worked around it. So we'll try again tomorrow for 5 AM.

Thank you. Love that Angel as well! Lights aren’t turning on. Probably need to replace bulbs? But I did find a little challenge called the turkey to tree challenge that a local running store set up for quick exercises to do everyday for 30 days. My friend posted about it on FB and now I’m participating. So far so good. Realize how out of shape I am.
  • trooworld
    @cbabie That's terrible, you try to do something good for you and you end up miserable. I'm so sorry! That sounds awful. I hope they can figure out what is wrong. Thank you, I really enjoy crafting! I'm glad I had some ME time, too. :)

@theslightedgeforever Mainly, my mindset. I think maybe I sabotage myself a lot. Also, my husband sabotages me. LOL about your son not realizing there are bananas in the bread! Yeah, the zoo was great: hardly anyone there (really unusual) and the lunch was still fun, just not up to my high standards for Thai food. ;) I think I am okay with gaining a couple of pounds for the holidays. I would like to say I will lose weight but years past have shown me that's not how I do the holidays and why disappoint myself? Wow, what you did with the gym sounds like real growth! Congrats!

Hi all. I have my healthcare provider webinar tonight. I was contacted yesterday by the diabetes prevention department from my healthcare provider. They have free programs for pre-diabetics. It's a 1-year commitment for their diabetes prevention webinar series. I think I will sign up for that program. The other choices are telephone coaching programs. I will call them today and sign up.

I have a real problem with my husband showing his love through food. He's killing me and I'm killing me as well. I need to have a talk with him.

Water yesterday: 40 oz

• theslightedgeforever
    Quick check in. Gym work finished. I burnt my 300 calories for the day. Food was OP yesterday. I'm on track to meet my water goal.

@trooworld I read that other article you mentioned.
  • trooworld
    @theslightedgeforever Great job! The article: what did you think?

Hi all. I attended my webinar last night. We talked about the importance of protein and the different protein sources. She said we should be aiming for 20-30 grams of protein per meal...maybe more, depending on our weight. We learned how to calculate how many grams of protein we need. 6-8 oz. of lean protein per day (Men: 60-90g/day, Women 50-80g/day). The formula to figure out how much protein you need a day is: multiply weight in kg by .8 (To get weight in kg. divide weight in lbs. by 2.2). She said that protein helps keep our blood sugar level and helps us stay full longer.

Water yesterday: 40 oz

• theslightedgeforever
    @gemwolf110 I like that turkey to tree challenge. Sounds fun. Wouldn't it be nice if we just plugged things in and they worked? So far my cordless phone for my mil broke, then my washer broke last night.....you know these things come in threes. I'm hoping something already broke and I just forgot. :D

@trooworld My friend is in Thailand right now. She's having so much fun with all the adventures and the food. I have done the diabetes prevention program by the CDC. It really works if you do the work. Maybe give your hubby some other ideas of how he can show his love besides food. I'm glad you enjoyed the webinar. I liked the article. I need more work on my mindset. Lots of the fixed mindset details fit me. I'm reading the next one after that: Plant Seeds and Pull Weeds in your garden of Life

I got up and did my hill/sprint program this morning. I still need to burn about 60 more calories to reach my 300 goal. Went over my food boundary yesterday. :/ Met my water goal though. I lost a total of 1.2 lbs for the month of November with all the back and forth I was doing. But a loss is a loss. Wish it was more but my actions did not make it possible for it to be more. Too many days I went over my boundary. Not enough days hitting my 300 calorie exercise goal. So on to December.