NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Options

Replies

• Tamevv
    Tamevv Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I’m not doing well emotionally 😢. Head is barely above water. Trying to contain eating but control comes and goes. Sorry to be a downer, but feeling lonely and isolated and you guys kind of feel like friends 😊
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,884 Member
    Options
    @cbabie Now you know what you have to do and have to make yourself a priority. Put YOUR facemask on first, just like on the plane! The cold...I'm from Ohio so I should be able to tolerate this but I haven't been in Ohio for over 20 years lol. I did track yesterday, yay me!!! I like what your sister said to you. Just improve every day.

@theslightedgeforever Thank you!

@RetiredAndLovingIt Oh gosh, stay in!!! Chili sounds perfect. It does feel good to be home. Thank you, I don't think it is, he's feeling better and going to work today so yes, I hope it isn't COVID too! So far, I'm not sick (thankfully). That's good you are doing well with exercise. Good idea to combine it with fun stuff (watching tv and reading). Good luck!

@Tamevv (((( HUGS )))) Tam. I'm so very sorry you are having such a hard time. Sometimes I feel lonely too, my husband is gone most of the weekends and it's just me and the dog. I don't have many IRL friends. I think that is why I come here so often. As you said, you guys feel like friends. No need to apologize. <3

Hi all. I'm still struggling to get back on track but doing a little better each day. I tracked about 75% yesterday. I'm pretty happy with that, today I'll do even better. Tomorrow, I'm meeting one of my friends to go for a walk and then we will reward ourselves with lunch out. It should be fun.

Water yesterday: 25 oz

My phrase for the year: "Every choice is another chance to change my health for the better."
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,563 Member
    Options
    Morning all, it's still cold here and I am ready for warm. LOL. I can handle being outdoors more when it's warm..my baby girl can go out in just a short or sleeveless dress if I let her..she kills me...(she won't be a princess if she has to wear a coat or boots). :). I tracked yesterday, that's always a win for me. I learned from my Chiropractor I was doing my back exercises wrong. He tried to decompress my back and I screamed out a little and cried it hurt so much..so yes I have to do me..(when I can) baby boy is just been plain fussy and he hurts my back to pick him up..so sometimes I just sit and pray he will fall asleep and no one will wake him up ..LOL

@theslightedgeforever you know I have all kinds of frozen fruit in the house..I take it out in the morning, but just never make myself eat it. I just love carbs...so I have to have a mind shift. Now I can eat strawberries with no sugar..surprisingly since we were raised to put sugar or salt on all of our fruit. LOL

@trooworld You will get back to regular tracking and your routine..once we get out of sync we just have to turn the wheel a little and we go back on course. Sometimes I wish I was alone in my house. LOL. Yes we have become friends who have never Physically met. You know that's how my grandson got his wife. They were gamers online for years and one day they met and now he lives in Alaska...yes where it SNOWS. LOL

@Tamevv I am sorry you are struggling. We have all been there and probably will sometime again. That's why we come here too. I pray you get about just treading water and move into olympic swimmer. :)

@RetiredAndLovingIt Yes we have to have test at our age...Not liking the time spent..my Dr said to me and laughed this week when he said it..I am making up for those years I wouldn't seek medical advice. He is funny and I like him so that is the good part because if I didn't I just wouldn't go. I did that when I had my second child..the dr was a real jerk in the delivery room and the nurses almost kicked him out. I never went back for my check up..Yes stupid, I know it didn't effect him...but maybe someday I will grow up. LOL I am glad you are setting goals and sticking to them..every step we take counts..I don't want to not be able to "take a step". so yes we need to keep moving.

cbabie
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,214 Member
    Options
    @retiredandlovingit That's great you are using some dumbbells. I did biceps/triceps/legs today. I was just watching the Weather Channel. It was talking about for some of the states they will be getting warmer than usual temps for this time of year. No snow just cold weather. I'm ready for spring just not rain. Rainy weather makes me depressed. It's supposed to rain next week. :sigh: Hubby always says we need the rain for food. Yeah okay. I wish they made glasses so where it would have an always sunny day filter. So on rainy days, I look up and it's blue skies and pretty clouds. Colored foods: For my fajitas I made, I separated out the ingredients since that's how I post them anyway. It's really helping me in ways. The way Noom does it is how calorie dense is the item. I've been using the formula here if I don't know. https://noom.com/support/faqs/question-topics/food-logging/2016/08/think-food-color-wrong/ I separated my "red" foods into two categories. I have one category called Junk Eaten That will be processed foods like crackers, chips, etc. Popcorn is there. :( Other guilty pleasures I have like chocolate, french fries, etc. That way they are all focused together. My red foods category is for things like full fat cheeses, olive oils, etc.

• theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @Tamevv We are friends. At times like these just do what you can. This too shall pass. I always tell myself that and it does.

@trooworld Yaaay for getting back to tracking. I was doing so well with my water goals in January and here were are in February. But at least I'm tracking and exercising. I can already tell my Fridays are going to need some overhaul concerning green foods.

@cbabie Think of this....fruits are carbs. :) So since you love carbs, there you go. Start with one. Can you add one to breakfast? How about putting a banana in that bowl of cereal. I don't eat sugar or salt on my fruits like we grew up. I thought of that on Wednesday when I was cutting up some cantaloupe. I could see mom adding salt. Everyone in this group has this face right now reading that. :o

Ok, I have to go do some stretching to close up my exercise ring. I did some dancing and weights this morning when I got up.
  • trooworld
    Options
    @cbabie It's cold here, too, I just can't get motivated to do anything in this cold! LOL I'm glad you were able to find out how to do the exercises correctly. Hopefully, it will help you. Yeah, it always stinks getting back into your routine. I did better yesterday...more solid tracking. That's interesting about your grandson. I bet Alaska is pretty but you couldn't pay me enough to live up there lol.

@theslightedgeforever Same here with the water. Grrrrh. That's great you are tracking and exercising. Well, you can tweak your program, right? My mom put salt on weird things: beer, and fresh tomatoes (well, I agree with the tomatoes part)...I think she put it on watermelon. Enjoy the stretching! That sounds like a nice reward for your dancing and weights. ;)

Hi all. This is going to be a busy day. I have to drop Daisy off at the vet's because she is going under anesthesia to get her teeth cleaned and get some x-rays done. After that, meeting my friend for the walk and then lunch. We are going to a Taiwanese restaurant because when I was in Tucson, I had the best soup, which was Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup, and I am craving it again. It is slightly spicy with beef, noodles, and baby bok choy and it is delicious. I hope this restaurant has it at least as good as the one in Tucson.

Water yesterday: 40 oz

My phrase for the year: "Every choice is another chance to change my health for the better."
  • gemwolf110
    gemwolf110 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Hi all quick check in to say hi. Been a crazy busy week with work and school. Have a great night!
  • trooworld
    Options
    @gemwolf110 HI!!! I hope you are enjoying both work and school. Update us when you can. :D

Hi all. We got some bad news about Daisy, she has fluid in her lungs and some other issues. We will do the next step to find out what is causing the fluid. I'm very upset and sad and hoping everything will be okay. I love that little dog!

It was really nice seeing my friend. We didn't walk for long, only 20 minutes. My knee started bothering me and I was thirsty. We went to a boba tea shop and I got Vietnamese iced coffee. She got this strawberry milk tea that was so delicious, it tasted like an elevated Nestle Quik strawberry milk. Then we went to lunch at a busy restaurant. My Taiwanese Beef Noodle soup was really good but I preferred the beef in the restaurant in Tucson. The broth was good in both restaurants. We also had these chili onion crunch wonton dumplings that were so good. Today, I'm not doing too much.

Water yesterday: I had about 12 oz plain water yesterday! I had a lot of coffee.

• theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @trooworld My mom put salt on watermelon too. Maybe a midwest thing? Although I don't do it. Sorry about Daisy. I've eaten bok choy once. I wonder if I would like that soup. Although not with the spiciness. Maybe I could make some at home.

@gemwolf110 The good thing about checking in here during busy times is it brings awareness to us and reminds us of our health journey.

I had friends over for dinner last night and cooked all day long. Food all turned out good though. Still have leftovers. I'm taking the desserts over to a friend tomorrow morning to get them out of my house. She broke her foot and I said I'd bring breakfast and sweets.

• gemwolf110
    Options
    trooworld wrote: »
    @gemwolf110 HI!!! I hope you are enjoying both work and school. Update us when you can. :D

Hi all. We got some bad news about Daisy, she has fluid in her lungs and some other issues. We will do the next step to find out what is causing the fluid. I'm very upset and sad and hoping everything will be okay. I love that little dog!

It was really nice seeing my friend. We didn't walk for long, only 20 minutes. My knee started bothering me and I was thirsty. We went to a boba tea shop and I got Vietnamese iced coffee. She got this strawberry milk tea that was so delicious, it tasted like an elevated Nestle Quik strawberry milk. Then we went to lunch at a busy restaurant. My Taiwanese Beef Noodle soup was really good but I preferred the beef in the restaurant in Tucson. The broth was good in both restaurants. We also had these chili onion crunch wonton dumplings that were so good. Today, I'm not doing too much.

Water yesterday: I had about 12 oz plain water yesterday! I had a lot of coffee.

Oh no! Will be keeping Daisy and you in my thoughts and prayers!
  • gemwolf110
    Options
    @trooworld My mom put salt on watermelon too. Maybe a midwest thing? Although I don't do it. Sorry about Daisy. I've eaten bok choy once. I wonder if I would like that soup. Although not with the spiciness. Maybe I could make some at home.

@gemwolf110 The good thing about checking in here during busy times is it brings awareness to us and reminds us of our health journey.

I had friends over for dinner last night and cooked all day long. Food all turned out good though. Still have leftovers. I'm taking the desserts over to a friend tomorrow morning to get them out of my house. She broke her foot and I said I'd bring breakfast and sweets.

So true!
  • Tamevv
    Options
    Hi all, just saying hi 👋. Busy busy, trying to make good choices - actually just trying to consciously MAKE choices and not just bounder through it. Still flat but functioning pretty well. Am intentionally changing some of my dialogue which is making me more aware of things.

Ugh, I know that’s kind of cryptic, sorry, am off to bed. Will explore more sooner or later. Hope you’re all well.

• trooworld
    Options
    @theslightedgeforever Probably a midwest thing. I don't do it, either. Thank you. I appreciate your support! Didn't like the bok choy? Or just haven't had the opportunity to eat it again? Here's a recipe for the soup in case you do want to make it at home, or are curious:

Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup (6 servings)
    1 tablespoon grapeseed or other neutral oil
    6 garlic cloves smashed and peeled
    1 4-inch piece fresh ginger peeled, cut into 6 to 8 pieces and smashed
    6 scallions whites roughly chopped, greens thinly sliced, reserved separately
    3 star anise pods
    1 tablespoon sichuan peppercorns
    3 tablespoons chili bean sauce (toban djan, see note)
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
    1⁄3 cup soy sauce
    1⁄3 cup sake
    2 1⁄2 quarts water
    2-2 1⁄2 pounds bone-in beef shanks (about 1 inch thick) trimmed
    Kosher salt
    1 pound baby bok choy trimmed and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
    8 ounces dried wheat noodles

In a large Dutch oven over medium, combine the oil, garlic, ginger and the white scallion parts. Cook, stirring, until sizzling, about 3 minutes. Stir in the star anise and peppercorns, then cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the chili-bean sauce, tomato paste and brown sugar, then pour in the soy sauce, rice wine and water. Bring to a boil over high.

Add the beef shanks and return to a simmer. Cover, reduce to low and cook, adjusting as needed to maintain a gentle simmer, until the beef is tender and beginning to fall apart, about 2 hours.

Use a slotted spoon to transfer the beef shanks to a bowl and set aside. Strain the liquids, discarding the solids, into a bowl. Reserve the pot. Skim off and discard the fat from the surface of the liquid, then return to the pot. When cool enough to handle, shred the meat into bite-size pieces, discarding the bones, fat and gristle. Add the meat to the pot and bring to a simmer over medium-high, then reduce to low and cover to keep warm.

In a large pot, bring 4 quarts of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt and the bok choy and cook until the stems are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bok choy to a large plate and set aside. Add the noodles to the water and cook until tender. Drain, rinse under lukewarm water, then drain again. Divide the noodles and bok choy among serving bowls then ladle the soup over them, topping with scallion greens.

NOTE: Don’t forget to skim the fat off the strained cooking liquid. This prevents the soup from tasting greasy. And don't rinse the drained noodles under cold water. Lukewarm water will keep them from cooling down completely.

Water yesterday: 30 oz

• trooworld
    Options
    @theslightedgeforever What did you make for your friends? That's a good idea to get rid of the dessert. I made something for dinner last night that I don't want in the house (baked spaghetti). We are freezing it until this weekend when my husband will give it to his side of the family.

@gemwolf110 Thank you so very much!

@Tamevv Thanks for stopping in.

Hi all. Slightly better on the water front yesterday but not nearly enough or as much as I was doing. I know what I need to do: I need to add flavorings to my water until I get to the level that I was at before. I will do that today. I am making savory oats for my breakfast this week (https://www.skinnytaste.com/savory-steel-cut-oats/). I hope I like it. I'm off today for President's Day holiday. I think my hubby and I might go for a walk at the beach.

• trooworld
    Options
    Hi all. I am by myself this morning lol. I am having the hardest time drinking more water. I hope to do better today. My plan is to drink a 25-oz tumbler on the way to work, drink some at work, and then drink another 25 oz on the way home. My hubby and I went for a walk in a neighborhood park here yesterday morning. It was the nicest, most well-maintained park I've ever been to. I want to go back and have a picnic. They had two gardens there, one with fruits and veggies and the other was a "smell" garden. I didn't get to go in either as DH was on a mission to walk lol. They also had a giant chess board and tables with built-in chess boards, tables with built-in ping pong nets, and more. Here's just one pic from the walk.

8mgbzem2ncd4.jpg
  • cbabie
    Options
    Morning all, sorry been weird here. Everyone has been sick and just trying to stay healthy. Although today I had to take 1/2 Benadryl, if I take more than that I am KNOCKED out..LOL. Feeling better. Had more test ran yesterday and could not have ANY caffeine. I only have caffeine in the AM 2 -3 cups of coffee and thats it..I had a horrible headache all day. Now wait for the results..LOL. Well I maintained my weight, no loss no gain..I need a loss. It's time to get my body back..

@trooworld So sorry about Daisy. Hopefully its and easy fix with meds or rest. I love the picture of your walking path. Beautiful. It's cloudy here today..won't be doing much outside. yesterday, evereyone stated on our back patio, watching movies, jumping on the trampoline, etc..enjoying the weather. I am working on staying hydrated today.

@theslightedgeforever Yes I figured out closing the circle..I don't think I have ever done that..MY goals are not realistic at this point. So time to change them. I don't like to cook all day..always make me feel awful when no one eats. I have picky eaters here.

@Tamevv Glad to hear from you, changing dialog is good, I am working on that too...I kept hearing myself say when I would pick up the baby (who is a solid rock). you're killing me...I said to myself what an awful thing to say...I started saying you make me smile...LOL

Cbabie
  • trooworld
    Options
    @cbabie I hope everyone feels better soon. Benadryl knocks me out, too. I would have a hard time doing no coffee lol. Although I do it when I have to do fasting tests. Sorry you didn't have a loss. Did you put in the work to get a loss? I know you've been tracking, right? Have you been exercising and drinking your water? What else do you need to do this next week? Thanks about Daisy. I really hope it's an easy fix, too. I love that little monkey and would hate to lose her! Your day on Monday sounds wonderful. Family time and enjoying the weather. I'm glad you are working on hydration, so important. I am, too.

Hi all. I did much better with water yesterday and I will do better today. I am in a movement challenge with some people from MFP and I'm doing horribly. My step count is pretty low. I hope to get more steps in today at work but I've been so busy catching up from my trip still.

Water yesterday: 65 oz

• cbabie
    Options
    Morning: I was just out of sorts yesterday. I started with good intentions, but that went by the wayside. I didn't track, but I am going to go back and track..most times it's easy because I eat the same things over and over. I didn't walk and I should have. I am so ready for real spring...not this 75 one day and 55 the next...LOL

@trooworld No I didn't put in the work that I should have this past week. My energy was all put into others. Today the wind and rain hit..we have a swamp cooler and with that we have the "flaps" as I call them and some don't lock down like they should...woke me up at 4:30 this morning...my baby girl too..so I expect her to fall asleep sometime but I won't get that luxury. My goal is not to eat to stay awake....yea on the water and I am with you on the movement part. I seemingly never meet my goals on that anymore...So I think today i am going to put it just about 500 steps of what I have been doing and see if I can meet that goal..

Cbabie
  • trooworld
    Options
    @cbabie I think it's helpful to go back and track what you can remember. I'm ready for spring, too. Are the "flaps" a noise the swamp cooler makes? It was so windy here yesterday. And there was a little bit of rain. I hope you can get a nap in? I think it's smart to "lower the bar" on your exercise goal. I may do the same thing.

Hi all. Where is everyone? Do we have to send out the hounds on all of you? LOL I didn't do so well on anything yesterday. I'm not going to rehash it, I'm just going to try to do a little better today. That work trip messed me up so badly, and got me out of my routine. Today, I am having extensive dental work done: a cleaning and two crowns on my front teeth (they are starting to crack). It's going to take 2 hours to do. I can't imagine how I'm going to feel in the chair after one hour, let alone 2. :(

Water yesterday: 50 oz

• Tamevv
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I’m up and exercised. Been doing more strength this week and feeling it in my muscles which is good, but not burning so many calories which is bad. Of course the eating everything in sight is not helping either 😞. Feeling a bit better in my head today though. Parents arrive for the weekend today so I have to at least seem put together so they don’t worry.

@cbabie I like your reframe which was days ago now, but about when you pick the baby up. My reframe is that I have been consciously removing the words “have to” from my dialogue and using either I “want to” or in”choose” to. This has two functions - it means I have to stop blaming other people for my feeling overwhelmed, amd it makes me realise and prioritise and appreciate the things in my life. There are things I don’t want to do but I’m choosing to because the consequence if I don’t is even less desirable, and the reframe makes me pause to notice that, and puts me back in control. It’s helping I think 😁

@trooworld I’m struggling with water too. Bought a squirt bottle thing yesterday because I’m hoping it will be quicker and easier to just take sips all day long when I’m on the go. Feels like clutching at straws but will see if it helps.

Oh I haven’t read far enough back to see what has happened with Daisy - hope she’s okay!! I’ll go back after posting this..

And hope the dentist went okay - on the plus side I’m guessing you won’t be eating after it for comfort 🤣