I keep seeing "you NEED to lift heavy"

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    I use 5-10 pound weights regularly for my shoulders.

So do I. After rotator cuff surgeries in both shoulder that is all that I can and should be lifting.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    OP I agree to a certain extent but it depends on your goals. If someone says they want to just look good and be fit then lifting is totally optional. If someone says I want to increase the size of my (butt, arms, whatever) the only way to do that is to overload the muscle. Lifting is the far and away most efficient way to do that
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    So does running not build muscle then? Because my legs have got pretty solid since I started! Before running I was swimming (1 mile 3-4 times per week, fast- in around 25 mins) and I could have sworn my muscles were working and even aching afterwards then! Or does that not count?
    I know everyone says that if you dont lift while losing weight that you lose muscle aswel as fat, but honestly how true is this, are you all fully qualified human biologists? Because I actually have a qualification in human biology and sports science which I studied at college for 2 years and never was this an actual fact stated!! Yes if you starve yourself and dont move much to lose weight you will waste away, but if you increase your excersise in any form you use your muscles, therefore they increase endurance.

It absolutely can. your body needs to adapt to the stress. But because it is an endurance activity after your body builds enough muscle to handle the stress of running it will stop after a certain point and other means will be needed.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Depends on goal ..if you like to run, run ...you can make that progressive through intensity, incline, speed, distance, carrying weight if you choose to

IMHO Progressive resistance makes you look good naked, whereas being the appropriate weight means you look good in clothes

Not everybody is interested in looking good naked since most of us spend more time with clothes on....Besides, there is not proven guarantee that progressive resistance will give you a good naked body. A lot depends on genetic and age.

Edited to add that I DO lift weights and do moderate cardio.

Is there a reason you would take a strangers opinion on the benefits of progressive resistance so personally?

It wasn't directed at everybody ..it was my opinion. I personally am interested in looking good naked and in clothes, I'm also old enough to hit the "age" part of your 'depends on'...and I still want to look good naked ..how does that impact on "everyone" :)

I do believe that the right training can help you towards your desired body aesthetic within your genetic potential

As for the bolded part you are the age of my older child so, no, you are not that old. Enjoy your age and the benefit that you still get for "lifting heavy." Been there, done that. I was hitting the gym and working with weights before it was the fad of the century.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    I don't lift heavy, but do strength training for muscles mass and bone density. You can lift lower weight and higher rep and do just fine when you incorporate it into your cardio. Hell, consistent circuit training works wonders even.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Depends on goal ..if you like to run, run ...you can make that progressive through intensity, incline, speed, distance, carrying weight if you choose to

IMHO Progressive resistance makes you look good naked, whereas being the appropriate weight means you look good in clothes

Not everybody is interested in looking good naked since most of us spend more time with clothes on....Besides, there is not proven guarantee that progressive resistance will give you a good naked body. A lot depends on genetic and age.

Is there a reason you would take a strangers opinion on the benefits of progressive resistance so personally?

It wasn't directed at everybody ..it was my opinion. I personally am interested in looking good naked and in clothes, I'm also old enough to hit the "age" part of your 'depends on'...and I still want to look good naked ..how does that impact on "everyone" :)

I do believe that the right training can help you towards your desired body aesthetic within your genetic potential

As for the bolded part you are the age of my older child so, no, you are not that old. Enjoy your age and the benefit that you still get for "lifting heavy." Been there, done that. I was hitting the gym and working with weights before it was the fad of the century.

If you were doing it before it was "the Fad of the century".....odds are it's not a "fad".

Everyone is getting caught up on the term "heavy". In heavy lifting all that means is you're progressively overloading. You can "lift heavy" without even touching a weight.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »

If you were doing it before it was "the Fad of the century".....odds are it's not a "fad".

Everyone is getting caught up on the term "heavy". In heavy lifting all that means is you're progressively overloading. You can "lift heavy" without even touching a weight.

while I do agree with this.

and to those that hated my post about weenie weights, it was joke! I have been around these forums for quite a while now and after today, there are some really touchy people out there in MFP land!

Totes agree, and odds on we're thinking of different posters
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    The definitions I've seen for "lifting heavy" around this board are more of the 5-8 reps/set range. I've seen a more technical answer of a certain percent of your 1RM but I can't recall it off the top of my head.

From what I've read here, very few people on MFP actually lift "heavy."

What is "heavy" is obviously relative but there is a series of comprehensive lifting charts that rates lifting performance for 1RM by gender, age and weight for the major compound lifts used in the Starting Strength and Stronglifts programs -- squats, bench press, deadlift, power clean and overhead press. Heavy in the context of these charts is probably anything in the advanced or elite categories.

See: http://lonkilgore.com/freebies/freebies.html

For example, I'm male, 65 and currently 175 lbs. At 181 lbs an "advanced" male lifter over 60 should be able to do the following 1RM lift:

Squat 210 lbs
    Bench Press 160 lbs
    Deadlift 250 lbs
    Power Clean 155 lbs
    OHP 94 lbs

I can honestly say that I exceed all of these 1RM stats for men my age/size BUT these stats are far lower (actually about 33% less) than what would be expected of a man under 40. So, it's all relative but these charts provide the best basis for comparison that I know of.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Hey, @sgt1372, thanks for that chart.
    You have just made a little old woman's great day at the gym even better.
    I out perform my averages. Woo hooo!

Sorry for the detour.

Cheers, h.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    The definitions I've seen for "lifting heavy" around this board are more of the 5-8 reps/set range. I've seen a more technical answer of a certain percent of your 1RM but I can't recall it off the top of my head.

From what I've read here, very few people on MFP actually lift "heavy."

What is "heavy" is obviously relative but there is a series of comprehensive lifting charts that rates lifting performance for 1RM by gender, age and weight for the major compound lifts used in the Starting Strength and Stronglifts programs -- squats, bench press, deadlift, power clean and overhead press. Heavy in the context of these charts is probably anything in the advanced or elite categories.

See: http://lonkilgore.com/freebies/freebies.html

For example, I'm male, 65 and currently 175 lbs. At 181 lbs an "advanced" male lifter over 60 should be able to do the following 1RM lift:

Squat 210 lbs
    Bench Press 160 lbs
    Deadlift 250 lbs
    Power Clean 155 lbs
    OHP 94 lbs

I can honestly say that I exceed all of these 1RM stats for men my age/size BUT these stats are far lower (actually about 33% less) than what would be expected of a man under 40. So, it's all relative but these charts provide the best basis for comparison that I know of.

Lifting heavy also depends on how long you've been lifting, that's why there's columns for "untrained", "novice", "intermediate", "advanced" and "elite".
    The Advanced column is definitely not "what should be expected" and is mostly reached by people who've been dedicated lifters for many years and/or who used to have okay strength and kept their lean mass up into older age.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited July 2016
    I need not do anything I do not want. The best results you get by doing what you really enjoy, simply because you tend to stick to it.

As it happens I do do weightstraining. I tried it, I liked it, I stuck with it. It is because I want to do it. I do not intend to bulk but I love feeling my body becoming stronger.

Having said all that, core training is important for many sports. My husband is a runner and just got injured a second time because he neglected that completely. Physio told him off for having to return a second time. In his case not having sufficient core stability resulted in not being able to run stable enough in rougher terrain. He is taking care of that now with physio and we are seeing the results. He is not doing weight training. I got a firm no when I offered to share my weights and that is fine with me. He does do floor based core excersises now and that works.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Opinions about opinions regarding other people's opinions? It's an opinion-pocolypse

Opinception
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    I need not do anything I do not want. The best results you get by doing what you really enjoy, simply because you tend to stick to it.

As it happens I do do weightstraining. I tried it, I liked it, I stuck with it. It is because I want to do it. I do not intend to bulk but I love feeling my body becoming stronger.

Having said all that, core training is important for many sports. My husband is a runner and just got injured a second time because he neglected that completely. Physio told him off for having to return a second time. In his case not having sufficient core stability resulted in not being able to run stable enough in rougher terrain. He is taking care of that now with physio and we are seeing the results. He is not doing weight training. I got a firm no when I offered to share my weights and that is fine with me. He does do floor based core excersises now and that works.

This is pretty much me as well.

In fact, I wish I didn't wait so long to begin strength training. I don't work to bulk and I don't lift heavy compared to most, but I do challenge myself on every move to lift heavier assuming I can maintain proper form.

Strength training has made the 3 main forms of cardio I do safer and easier in my opinion - Spinning, Rowing and Running.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited July 2016
    OP, I am not a trainer and I do not have a scientific degree or certificate of any kind, so do with that what you will!

Lifting weights isn't necessary to have a fit body, but it is the most efficient way. It's more balanced - if you run, your legs are holding up all the weight, so they are getting all the strength benefit, your upper body not so much. If you look at swimmers, runners, and bicyclists they all have very different bodies. Most cardio will provide some "weight bearing" to parts of your body, but not others. A good progressive lifting program challenges everything.

So the advice is always to lift, because it covers everything. Some people could run or bike forever, and never get the look they want. Swimming requires access to a place to swim, which many don't have, and lots of people are afraid of the water or hate the chlorine. Lifting is something anyone can do, and you only need to do it 3 times a week and you're good. So it's the easiest advice to give.

If you are happy with the way you look and how fit you are, then you aren't the person this advice would be given to. At least in my view, it is always offered to people who aren't happy with how they look as they are losing weight, have no idea what exercise to do, or ask which workout is the "best" to get the body they want.

Also remember muscle endurance, muscle strength, and muscle size are all different things, and different activities affect those three things differently, they don't necessarily go hand in hand. They are also separate things from cardiovascular endurance, flexibility, coordination, and balance. All those qualities are important for different reasons depending on your goals, and if you want to improve as many of them as possible, you will probably need to vary your exercise program. If you are happy with where you are with all of them, or you just don't care about some of them, then you can just do what you enjoy! Hope that makes sense, I typed more than I intended :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »

So you didn't always enjoy running, correct? What makes you think you won't enjoy being a strong woman? :+1:

No I used to hate it because it used to kill me, not anymore :) but iv always walked and love the outdoors (I sit in an office all day mon to fri) so time wise id much rather be outside than spending time in a gym, that is my main gripe.
    I have done weights in the past, and Body pump which I did really enjoy, but the times of the classes and location dont work for me. I would probably start Body pump again if there was a class nearer to home but there isnt.

I am a lifter...heavy lifter but my suggestion is always to do some form of resistance training...

I don't go to a gym I do it at home and it is relatively cheap to do it at home...most equipment can be found cheap 2nd hand.

I run too..lifting has helped my running so much.

But again if you don't want to...don't but...do some form of resistance training esp as a woman. It helps with bone density and it will help keep the muscle you have which we lose fast after 40 and esp in Menopause.

btw I love being strong....I can bench more than my husband and son (pound for pound)
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Form follows function. Strength training can give you more power and less fatigue for your sport (or just to open your own doors).

OP you may want to give 6 weeks of SL5x5 a try to feel the power. I did. And I don't want to lose that feeling so I lift to keep it. I add glute work like hip thrusts, bridges, pull-throughs to compound lifts now and have found the training has real benefits to my tennis and occasional run.

As I said, I lift to keep the power. It feels superhuman. There are power lifters who lift for sport. That's not me. I lift for health.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member

That's an interesting article, but they have a bit of a skewed idea of what a 1 rep max is. If you can do 8-10 reps, that is not 90% of your 1RM.