Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is dairy good or bad?

Replies

• snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Hello there, I recommend doing research on your question. There is plenty of Science to support why dairy is bad for humans (animal products.) Simply, I ballooned up to 160 pounds this past year (I am 5'6) due to menopause but from eating dairy three times a day during the week. I changed my diet and I am finally losing.

Anyhow - http://nutritionfacts.org/video/estrogen-in-meat-dairy-and-eggs/ That Doctor has done years of research and looks at the actual science behind his health facts. Also research:

http://www.forksoverknives.com/7-ways-milk-and-dairy-products-are-making-you-sick/

T. Collin Campbell: http://nutritionstudies.org/

Also an old school dude from the 1940's Dr. Kempner who had proven results taking people off of meat and dairy to cure their heart disease and type 2 diabetes: https://www.drmcdougall.com/2013/12/31/walter-kempner-md-founder-of-the-rice-diet/

I went down a rabbit hole for the past 3 months reading and researching about heart disease and how to avoid open heart surgery. I found my answers between my research and my MD who is a plant based doctor, I found my answers.

Best wishes! ;)
  • izzyrhunt
    izzyrhunt Posts: 25 Member
    It's better for children and teenagers because of the calcium but adult can still get benefits from dairy because of the protein
  • lcrampton44
    lcrampton44 Posts: 3 Member
    One particular type of cancer that affects men—and only men—is prostate cancer. In 2011, more than 200,000 men were diagnosed with prostate cancer. A recent study linked both meat and dairy product consumption with an increased risk of death after prostate cancer. This is consistent with previous research connecting animal products with a higher risk of developing prostate cancer, as well as increased mortality.

http://www.pcrm.org/nbBlog/index.php/got-a-prostate-ditch-the-dairy
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    One particular type of cancer that affects men—and only men—is prostate cancer. In 2011, more than 200,000 men were diagnosed with prostate cancer. A recent study linked both meat and dairy product consumption with an increased risk of death after prostate cancer. This is consistent with previous research connecting animal products with a higher risk of developing prostate cancer, as well as increased mortality.

Interesting conclusion made out of "Two post-diagnostic dietary patterns were identified: a Prudent pattern, characterized by higher intake of vegetables, fruits, fish, legumes, and whole grains; and a Western pattern, characterized by higher intake of processed and red meats, high-fat dairy and refined grains."
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

That study grouped the participants into two categories based on diet. One group ate "high amounts" of things like red meat, saturated fats and full fat dairy. The other group ate "high amounts" of things like vegetables and lentils. This renders the results of the study inconclusive in regards to dairy consumption as an isolated factor.
    The results do not show that dairy contributed to the mortality rate in a negative way as it could easily be that the vegetable/lentil consumption contributed in a positive way.

If you want to see how dairy alone affects prostate cancer survival rates, you'd need two groups of men whose diets differ only in their dairy intake.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    no bias noted in that blog post at all...
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member

Nice plagiarism of a paragraph from a personal opinion blog by an anti-meat "doctor" linking to a deeply flawed false-dichotomy "self reporting" study.

When you look at the underlying factors, it basically correlates eating more vegetables with better health. Duh. It conveniently leaves out low-fat dairy and poultry, two linchpins of the diet for many healthy, cancer free Westerners. I see nothing in this study proving that animal products cause cancer.

http://cancerpreventionresearch.aacrjournals.org/content/8/6/545.figures-only
  • Carlos_421
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    no bias noted in that blog post at all...

You mean Dr. Barnard, author of the blog post "Your No. 1 Health Threat" where he teaches us that red meat is more dangerous than smoking?? You think he's biased?? Why??
  • French_Peasant
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

That study grouped the participants into two categories based on diet. One group ate "high amounts" of things like red meat, saturated fats and full fat dairy. The other group ate "high amounts" of things like vegetables and lentils. This renders the results of the study inconclusive in regards to dairy consumption as an isolated factor.
    The results do not show that dairy contributed to the mortality rate in a negative way as it could easily be that the vegetable/lentil consumption contributed in a positive way.

If you want to see how dairy alone affects prostate cancer survival rates, you'd need two groups of men whose diets differ only in their dairy intake.

The "Western" diet (because Westerners have never eaten a vegetable in their lives) consisted of:

Processed meats — 0.66
    Red meats — 0.60
    Eggs — 0.48
    Snacks — 0.46
    High-fat dairy products — 0.45
    Potatoes — 0.44
    French fries — 0.42
    Butter — 0.39
    Sweets and desserts — 0.35
    Refined grains — 0.33

I'm surprised they left out the Snickers, Ho Hos, Fruity Pebbles, and Ding-Dongs food groups. VERY SCIENTIFIC.
  • Carlos_421

The "Western" diet (because Westerners have never eaten a vegetable in their lives) consisted of:

Processed meats — 0.66
    Red meats — 0.60
    Eggs — 0.48
    Snacks — 0.46
    Potatoes — 0.44
    French fries — 0.42
    Butter — 0.39
    Refined grains — 0.33

I'm surprised they left out the Snickers, Ho Hos, Fruity Pebbles, and Ding-Dongs food groups. VERY SCIENTIFIC.

What's a vegetable???
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Not if you're lactose intolerant
  • French_Peasant

Processed meats — 0.66
    Red meats — 0.60
    Eggs — 0.48
    Snacks — 0.46
    Potatoes — 0.44
    French fries — 0.42
    Butter — 0.39
    Refined grains — 0.33

What's a vegetable???

It's that thing that, when they show it to us, we hiss, cower and scuttle away. You remember--that thing...?
  • Carlos_421

Processed meats — 0.66
    Red meats — 0.60
    Eggs — 0.48
    Snacks — 0.46
    Potatoes — 0.44
    French fries — 0.42
    Butter — 0.39
    Refined grains — 0.33

What's a vegetable???

It's that thing that, when they show it to us, we hiss, cower and scuttle away. You remember--that thing...?

Oooohhh, yeah!!! Kale!!!