Alcohol Calories?

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    I'm too lazy to look it up but I think only 5% of alcohol is stored as fat, but the stored fat you would be burning while drinking is now stopped while your body uses the alcohol for energy.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    This little piggy had whiskey, this little piggy had gin, this little piggy went wee, wee, wee, all the way thin.

This gave me a good belly laugh!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I know 3 alcoholics who drink boat loads of wine and spirits, but mostly wine. All 3 are skinny bean poles. Just the wine calories alone(not including food) would likely bump them over their tdee
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    Well iv lost 1lb so far this week, my official weigh in day is not until Saturday so that is faster than usual too!
  • idabest777
    idabest777 Posts: 97 Member
    I drink pretty heavily usually 1-2 times a week. Although on days I know I'll be drinking lots I tend to be stricter with my food calories during the day (partially cus it takes a lot less alcohol to get drunk when i don't have much food in my stomach.. which i'm aware isn't that great for me, but whatever) But whenever I drink lots, some wine/ 1.5 cups of vodka/a bunch of tequila shots my weight is usually 2 pounds less the next morning, which is nice to see. But after that i just goes back to normal and I lose throughout the rest of the week.

I did do an experiment in February where I only had like 1 drink/week to see if it would make much of a difference and I ended up losing 1 extra pound that month...so there is a difference, but not enough of a difference for me to care that much.
  • FLBeachluvr
    FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
    I also enjoy "adult beverages" with my fav being vodka and Diet Coke. Mostly I only drink on Friday and Saturday and do track the calories (at least when I am at home). I pour more than my anticipated amount of alcohol into a measuring cup and then use that to make my drinks. I simply do the math to find out how much I actually consumed. I do notice that I am between 1 lb - 2 lbs lighter the next mornings. Then on Monday I seem to be back to normal and a loss doesn't show up again until around Wednesdays. For me I purposely avoid beer or any sugary mixers as I want the only extra calories to be from the actual alcohol. I do know some pretty skinny alcoholics though.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    So you drink two bottles of wine, and then eat healthier than normal the next day, and wonder why you aren't gaining weight? The reason you see a weight gain the next day when you are eating a kabob, and not when it's just the wine is because when it's the kabob, it takes longer to go through your body, and you are seeing the weight from the actual food, plus the water weight your body is holding on to from all of the sodium. It's pretty basic stuff, and has nothing to do with alcohol calories vs food calories.
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    bagge72 wrote: »
    So you drink two bottles of wine, and then eat healthier than normal the next day, and wonder why you aren't gaining weight? The reason you see a weight gain the next day when you are eating a kabob, and not when it's just the wine is because when it's the kabob, it takes longer to go through your body, and you are seeing the weight from the actual food, plus the water weight your body is holding on to from all of the sodium. It's pretty basic stuff, and has nothing to do with alcohol calories vs food calories.

I never said that? And i didnt eat healthier on Sunday I had a big curry.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    bagge72 wrote: »

I never said that? And i didnt eat healthier on Sunday I had a big curry.

" I have drank alcohol most weekends without counting (sometimes stupid amounts- dont judge) and still lost weight just fine. This is providing that I dont eat loads of crap the day after when hungover."

Yeah just like you only drink once a month now. So many contradicting stories. again you are saying that provided that you don't go over your calories the next day you are still losing weight, just because you didn't count them doesn't mean they don't count...

• kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    After I commented on this post I looked up and found a,few interesting articles on actual studies on this subject. dont ask me to post the link cos I already tried this and it didnt work and would need to search google to find it again which I cant b bothered to do. Look it up!
    One study found that women who drank moderately (3 times weekly) actually had lower bmi than tee totallers after X amount of years.
    Also I read the more alcohol u consume the better weight wise, people who just stick to one drink will be more likely to hold onto the calories versus someone who has 3 or 4 glasses.
    I also know quite a few skinny winos, Iv worked with a few over the years lol.
    Not sayin this is good for your liver but just sharing what I found.
    I think theres definitely a grey area here, the diet police here just have a very hard time processing that.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    kermax39 wrote: »
    After I commented on this post I looked up and found a,few interesting articles on actual studies on this subject. dont ask me to post the link cos I already tried this and it didnt work and would need to search google to find it again which I cant b bothered to do. Look it up!
    One study found that women who drank moderately (3 times weekly) actually had lower bmi than tee totallers after X amount of years.
    Also I read the more alcohol u consume the better weight wise, people who just stick to one drink will be more likely to hold onto the calories versus someone who has 3 or 4 glasses.
    I think theres definitely a grey area here, the diet police here just have a very hard time processing that.

People who eat breakfast tend to have a lower BMI too. That doesn't mean that the calories in breakfasts don't count. It simply means that they tend to eat less over the course of the entire day. The same could be true for those who drink moderately -- they may be eating less overall.
  • kermax39

People who eat breakfast tend to have a lower BMI too. That doesn't mean that the calories in breakfasts don't count. It simply means that they tend to eat less over the course of the entire day. The same could be true for those who drink moderately -- they may be eating less overall.

Well all that tells me is ill be sure to eat breakfast in future :-)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

If it helps you consume fewer calories during the course of the day, then it will work. Otherwise it won't do that much for you. Just like moderately drinking will only result in a lower BMI if it results in your consuming fewer calories each day than you would otherwise.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

Correlation does not equal causation...
  • kermax39
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Hand me a dictionary lol!
    Look whatever works for people works, iv managed to consume all my top end calories in food and have wine on top of that....and still lose 40lbs. Once that stops working I shall revaluate but I certainly wont be skimping on my food, that definitely comes first before wine!

• WinoGelato

Look whatever works for people works, iv managed to consume all my top end calories in food and have wine on top of that....and still lose 40lbs. Once that stops working I shall revaluate but I certainly wont be skimping on my food, that definitely comes first before wine!

Don't get me wrong, I too regularly partake of a glass or two of wine, it didn't stop me from losing 30 lbs and it hasn't stopped me from successfully maintaining. But I'm not under the false pretense that wine calories don't count or that they can be disregarded altogether. I work the wine calories into my day.

The correlation vs causation reference is meant to say that just because people who eat breakfast have a lower BMI doesn't mean that eating breakfast causes the lower BMI. It means that at best it is a contributing factor but possibly totally coincidental...
  • kermax39

Don't get me wrong, I too regularly partake of a glass or two of wine, it didn't stop me from losing 30 lbs and it hasn't stopped me from successfully maintaining. But I'm not under the false pretense that wine calories don't count or that they can be disregarded altogether. I work the wine calories into my day.

The correlation vs causation reference is meant to say that just because people who eat breakfast have a lower BMI doesn't mean that eating breakfast causes the lower BMI. It means that at best it is a contributing factor but possibly totally coincidental...

I totally get that, but going back to my original point iv said that this works for ME!
    Working alcohol calories into my daily allowance will only make me hungry, which will inevitably result in a fail and me eating the entire contents of the biscuit tin. Once I stop losing I will look at cutting out the vino, but until then I wont. I dont want to make changes that I cant possibly maintain when im at maintenance weight. But I get where u are coming from.

• WinoGelato

I totally get that, but going back to my original point iv said that this works for ME!
    Working alcohol calories into my daily allowance will only make me hungry, which will inevitably result in a fail and me eating the entire contents of the biscuit tin. Once I stop losing I will look at cutting out the vino, but until then I wont. I dont want to make changes that I cant possibly maintain when im at maintenance weight. But I get where u are coming from.

So you are saying you are eating the full amount of your recommended calories, then drinking additional wine calories on top of that, and still losing according to the rate suggested by your deficit?
  • kermax39

So you are saying you are eating the full amount of your recommended calories, then drinking additional wine calories on top of that, and still losing according to the rate suggested by your deficit?

Yes, im now on 1400 calories a day, I was on 1700 at the beginning. I lose 6lbs a month on average. 7 this month. I probably have 3 or 4 bottles of dry white wine per week. Special occasions alot more. This isnt a brand new discovery.....iv always lost weight without having to cut out wine when iv needed to. Im surprised its such a taboo subject on here, most of my friends dont bother to count calories in alcohol.....probably for same reason as me, that it wasent the wine that got them fat in the first place.

• Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    I skipped from page 1 to 4 but I too have drank as I am I trying to lose weight. It is possible as long as you are in deficit. When I was younger the alcohol wasn't as much of a factor because I walked to the alcohol, danced most of the night even if it was with a drink in my hand & then walked home. Getting driven & sitting on a bar stool rather than dancing have contributed to the weight gain.

I drink less then I used to. I try to make smarter choices -- wine vs. the large pina colada -- and try to remember I'm trying to adopt a healthier lifestyle.

I will admit that I have wondered how a substance (alcohol) that doesn't stay in the body that long though peeing a lot -- can have such long term net calorie gain. I understand it does -- the "beer belly" for example -- but it seems odd.