Alcohol Calories?

123457»

Replies

• kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Trish1c wrote: »
    I skipped from page 1 to 4 but I too have drank as I am I trying to lose weight. It is possible as long as you are in deficit. When I was younger the alcohol wasn't as much of a factor because I walked to the alcohol, danced most of the night even if it was with a drink in my hand & then walked home. Getting driven & sitting on a bar stool rather than dancing have contributed to the weight gain.

I drink less then I used to. I try to make smarter choices -- wine vs. the large pina colada -- and try to remember I'm trying to adopt a healthier lifestyle.

I will admit that I have wondered how a substance (alcohol) that doesn't stay in the body that long though peeing a lot -- can have such long term net calorie gain. I understand it does -- the "beer belly" for example -- but it seems odd.

The 'beer belly' is a misconception. Its caused by an enlarged and fatty liver that protrudes, pushing the belly out. Obviously a very unhealthy diet pushes it out even further, especially after a certain age. Youll find most people with this are skinny everywhere else. I have another 28lbs to lose but I definitely dont have a beer belly. If I did id give up my vino for sure lol.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    kermax39 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    After I commented on this post I looked up and found a,few interesting articles on actual studies on this subject. dont ask me to post the link cos I already tried this and it didnt work and would need to search google to find it again which I cant b bothered to do. Look it up!
    One study found that women who drank moderately (3 times weekly) actually had lower bmi than tee totallers after X amount of years.
    Also I read the more alcohol u consume the better weight wise, people who just stick to one drink will be more likely to hold onto the calories versus someone who has 3 or 4 glasses.
    I also know quite a few skinny winos, Iv worked with a few over the years lol.
    Not sayin this is good for your liver but just sharing what I found.
    I think theres definitely a grey area here, the diet police here just have a very hard time processing that.

People who eat breakfast tend to have a lower BMI too. That doesn't mean that the calories in breakfasts don't count. It simply means that they tend to eat less over the course of the entire day. The same could be true for those who drink moderately -- they may be eating less overall.

Well all that tells me is ill be sure to eat breakfast in future :-)

Correlation does not equal causation...

Hand me a dictionary lol!
    Look whatever works for people works, iv managed to consume all my top end calories in food and have wine on top of that....and still lose 40lbs. Once that stops working I shall revaluate but I certainly wont be skimping on my food, that definitely comes first before wine!

Don't get me wrong, I too regularly partake of a glass or two of wine, it didn't stop me from losing 30 lbs and it hasn't stopped me from successfully maintaining. But I'm not under the false pretense that wine calories don't count or that they can be disregarded altogether. I work the wine calories into my day.

The correlation vs causation reference is meant to say that just because people who eat breakfast have a lower BMI doesn't mean that eating breakfast causes the lower BMI. It means that at best it is a contributing factor but possibly totally coincidental...

I totally get that, but going back to my original point iv said that this works for ME!
    Working alcohol calories into my daily allowance will only make me hungry, which will inevitably result in a fail and me eating the entire contents of the biscuit tin. Once I stop losing I will look at cutting out the vino, but until then I wont. I dont want to make changes that I cant possibly maintain when im at maintenance weight. But I get where u are coming from.

So you are saying you are eating the full amount of your recommended calories, then drinking additional wine calories on top of that, and still losing according to the rate suggested by your deficit?

Yes, im now on 1400 calories a day, I was on 1700 at the beginning. I lose 6lbs a month on average. 7 this month. I probably have 3 or 4 bottles of dry white wine per week. Special occasions alot more. This isnt a brand new discovery.....iv always lost weight without having to cut out wine when iv needed to. Im surprised its such a taboo subject on here, most of my friends dont bother to count calories in alcohol.....probably for same reason as me, that it wasent the wine that got them fat in the first place.

I wouldn't call it a taboo subject. No one is saying you can't drink wine and still lose weight. What everyone is saying is that wine has calories and those calories count. If you are drinking and still losing, you are in a deficit. A bottle of wine has roughly 600 calories in it. If you are drinking 3-4 of them in a week, then you are consuming an additional 1800-2400 cals from the alcohol. The fact that you are still losing at about 1.5 lb/week means that you likely have a higher TDEE than what the calculators here predict. Are you exercising? Are you eating back those calories?

Plenty of people lose weight without counting a single calorie. Counting calories is not a requirement for weight loss. A calorie deficit is. The wine consumption contributes to your total CI, but your CO is still higher. About 750 cals/day higher, if your weight loss is consistently at 6 lbs/month.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    After I commented on this post I looked up and found a,few interesting articles on actual studies on this subject. dont ask me to post the link cos I already tried this and it didnt work and would need to search google to find it again which I cant b bothered to do. Look it up!
    One study found that women who drank moderately (3 times weekly) actually had lower bmi than tee totallers after X amount of years.
    Also I read the more alcohol u consume the better weight wise, people who just stick to one drink will be more likely to hold onto the calories versus someone who has 3 or 4 glasses.
    I think theres definitely a grey area here, the diet police here just have a very hard time processing that.

People who eat breakfast tend to have a lower BMI too. That doesn't mean that the calories in breakfasts don't count. It simply means that they tend to eat less over the course of the entire day. The same could be true for those who drink moderately -- they may be eating less overall.

Look whatever works for people works, iv managed to consume all my top end calories in food and have wine on top of that....and still lose 40lbs. Once that stops working I shall revaluate but I certainly wont be skimping on my food, that definitely comes first before wine!

Don't get me wrong, I too regularly partake of a glass or two of wine, it didn't stop me from losing 30 lbs and it hasn't stopped me from successfully maintaining. But I'm not under the false pretense that wine calories don't count or that they can be disregarded altogether. I work the wine calories into my day.

The correlation vs causation reference is meant to say that just because people who eat breakfast have a lower BMI doesn't mean that eating breakfast causes the lower BMI. It means that at best it is a contributing factor but possibly totally coincidental...

I totally get that, but going back to my original point iv said that this works for ME!
    Working alcohol calories into my daily allowance will only make me hungry, which will inevitably result in a fail and me eating the entire contents of the biscuit tin. Once I stop losing I will look at cutting out the vino, but until then I wont. I dont want to make changes that I cant possibly maintain when im at maintenance weight. But I get where u are coming from.

So you are saying you are eating the full amount of your recommended calories, then drinking additional wine calories on top of that, and still losing according to the rate suggested by your deficit?

Yes, im now on 1400 calories a day, I was on 1700 at the beginning. I lose 6lbs a month on average. 7 this month. I probably have 3 or 4 bottles of dry white wine per week. Special occasions alot more. This isnt a brand new discovery.....iv always lost weight without having to cut out wine when iv needed to. Im surprised its such a taboo subject on here, most of my friends dont bother to count calories in alcohol.....probably for same reason as me, that it wasent the wine that got them fat in the first place.

I wouldn't call it a taboo subject. No one is saying you can't drink wine and still lose weight. What everyone is saying is that wine has calories and those calories count. If you are drinking and still losing, you are in a deficit. A bottle of wine has roughly 600 calories in it. If you are drinking 3-4 of them in a week, then you are consuming an additional 1800-2400 cals from the alcohol. The fact that you are still losing at about 1.5 lb/week means that you likely have a higher TDEE than what the calculators here predict. Are you exercising? Are you eating back those calories?

Plenty of people lose weight without counting a single calorie. Counting calories is not a requirement for weight loss. A calorie deficit is. The wine consumption contributes to your total CI, but your CO is still higher. About 750 cals/day higher, if your weight loss is consistently at 6 lbs/month.

I dont excercize, im a busy working (sit down job) mother who rarely sits down till kids bedtime, so I dont bother to calculate excercize. Its normal everyday activity to me that iv always done.
    Maybe thats my saving grace who knows? And maybe others who struggle to lose shouldnt log mowing the lawn or housework and eat half those calories back? Whatever the reason ill say it yet again.....it works! I dont need to log alcohol to lose weight....yet! People are determined to find a calorie in/cal out reason behind that! I really dont care...im losing weight.

• ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    The only housework I log is the spring cleaning sort, like scrubbing the walls behind the loo or cleaning the top of the wardrobes, which is done once in a blue moon and leaves me barely able to stand for a day.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2016

What I am getting from this:
    -You're possibly more active when you drink.
    -You're more active than you believe.
    -You quite possibly only drink up to your maintenance 1-2 times weekly causing a very slight decrease in weight loss than projected for the week. Your deficit is at least 500 cals.
    -You may be over estimating CI and underestimating or not counting CO.
    -All of the above.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member

I dont excercize, im a busy working (sit down job) mother who rarely sits down till kids bedtime, so I dont bother to calculate excercize. Its normal everyday activity to me that iv always done.
    Maybe thats my saving grace who knows? And maybe others who struggle to lose shouldnt log mowing the lawn or housework and eat half those calories back? Whatever the reason ill say it yet again.....it works! I dont need to log alcohol to lose weight....yet! People are determined to find a calorie in/cal out reason behind that! I really dont care...im losing weight.

Probably you have set your Activity Level lower than it actually is and you fit wine into those extra calories.

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    For anyone interested, this post (whose advice I'd take with the salt grains accompanying my tequila shot) has lots of links to studies about how your body uses alcohol.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Well I drank 2 bottles of wine last night and godknows what else because I dont remember, but my weight is still the same today? I would have thought that there was too many calories in wine (if counting) for that to be actually possible? I ate a normal amount of food during the day so my food calories were ok, not under.

Two bottles of wine plus more? Your poor liver. Forget about weight for the moment, have you considered the long term impact on your health due to binge drinking?

sorry for partying