What food/Restaurant makes you feel...blah?

124»

Replies

• duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    I will occasionally go to the Chinese buffet because they have a large sushi bar. It's good quality for a buffet, and much cheaper than ordering it at a sushi restaurant. I don't eat anything else, just sushi. I do like Wendy's chili, and if I have the calories, I get a burger from Sonic. I don't feel sick or anything, it's actually pretty good. But it's a treat, not an every day thing. All things in moderation.
  • stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    I haven't felt satisfied with a microwave meal in years. They never come out heated well and just look sad in their little trays.

Yes!
    Not to mention a lot of them are SO tiny! I mean, I understand portion control, but if the amount is so small your still hungry after then I would say that's not enough lol
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    I love Italian food restaurants. They aren't my favourite ... my favourite are Mexican food restaurants. But Italian food restaurants are probably in a second place tie with Indian food.

However ...

Every time I go and have the garlic bread, a nice big bowl of pasta with a creamy sauce, and something rich and creamy for dessert .... which I love ... the effects are disastrous.

I know I'm lactose intolerant. I've been tested! And I know I can eat hard cheeses, yogurt, and cottage cheese just fine. And I know that butter, cream, and to a lesser extent, milk are not good. So ... I know why food like that doesn't agree with me.

But I just can't quite let it go ... and I keep forgetting that I do have Lactaid which I should take before I eat those meals.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    narak_lol wrote: »
    Gosh looks like the Chinese buffet is not that great in the US :o I live in Hong Kong and these pics are from the 2 buffet places I go to often (probably too often lol!).

Real Chinese buffet (like at a place in a local Chinatown) can be great, depending on the city. There are Chinese style fast food places and lunch places that often have a buffet, and that can be not so good, true.

A lot of the restaurants people are discussing (not just the Chinese ones) aren't actually known for their food but other qualities, so I guess my expectations would be low anyway.
  • stephaniej2888
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I love Italian food restaurants. They aren't my favourite ... my favourite are Mexican food restaurants. But Italian food restaurants are probably in a second place tie with Indian food.

However ...

Every time I go and have the garlic bread, a nice big bowl of pasta with a creamy sauce, and something rich and creamy for dessert .... which I love ... the effects are disastrous.

I know I'm lactose intolerant. I've been tested! And I know I can eat hard cheeses, yogurt, and cottage cheese just fine. And I know that butter, cream, and to a lesser extent, milk are not good. So ... I know why food like that doesn't agree with me.

But I just can't quite let it go ... and I keep forgetting that I do have Lactaid which I should take before I eat those meals.

I am so glad I'm not alone! Lol
    I love me some Alfredo but after eating it...I so regret it lol.
    I have had a milk allergy since birth but all milk products don't do it...just some....but the Alfredo is SO good!
  • stephaniej2888
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    narak_lol wrote: »
    Gosh looks like the Chinese buffet is not that great in the US :o I live in Hong Kong and these pics are from the 2 buffet places I go to often (probably too often lol!).

Real Chinese buffet (like at a place in a local Chinatown) can be great, depending on the city. There are Chinese style fast food places and lunch places that often have a buffet, and that can be not so good, true.

A lot of the restaurants people are discussing (not just the Chinese ones) aren't actually known for their food but other qualities, so I guess my expectations would be low anyway.

My expectations were low going on...like I said, I don't like the place and the food is never good (to me anyway)...but I always seem to forget how it hits my stomach and then I'm like "ahhh, now I remember why it's been so long since I've eatenhere!" Lol
  • sfcrocker
    sfcrocker Posts: 163 Member
    edited August 2016
    There's a Salvadoran restaurant in my neighborhood where two people can get two pupusas, rice, refried beans, curtido, fried plantains with sour cream, and a beer each for $15. OMG it is SO good and authentic--cooked by the cutest little old ladies from El Salvador who are all, of course, quite overweight. The restaurant itself is a hole in the wall--plastic chairs, old tables, fading posters on the wall. The food is so greasy and delicious but afterwards, like the OP said, "blah". I used to eat there a lot but now am just going to go a couple times a year. The irony is that the same food in an "upscale" restaurant would easily be well over $100 for two people.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

However ...

I am so glad I'm not alone! Lol
    I love me some Alfredo but after eating it...I so regret it lol.
    I have had a milk allergy since birth but all milk products don't do it...just some....but the Alfredo is SO good!

Yep! :)

I know what you mean.
  • sfa90
    sfa90 Posts: 105 Member
    Chinese buffet, I always get problems with my stomach, one day I got so sick I had to go to the hospital, so no more Chinese buffet for me :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited August 2016
    hmltwin wrote: »
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    Huh. There are restaurants I don't care for, and foods/ingredients that don't agree with me or make me feel extra bloated or whatever, but I can't think of a single restaurant where the food from there makes me feel sick when comparable foods from another restaurant wouldn't. That seems really odd to me.

I'm the same as you. I'm not saying I doubt what people are saying. I'm sure it's real for them. I just can't understand what makes a meal prepared at place A different from the same meal prepared at place B or at home.

A lot of the places people have mentioned... I've eaten at and had no problems - except for occassionally overeating. I seldom go to buffets because, even when I only intend to eat a little tiny bit of the things I like, I end up blowing through my calories for the day.

Sometimes it's the restaurant's hygiene. Keep in mind that if you really get sick going to one particular place, you tend not to visit a different location for the same restaurant.

Sometimes it's different ingredients. I have a problem with DQ ice cream - a really severe, intestinal issue ~15min after eating it. I've tried multiple products, multiple locations (because I want ice cream on road trips, too, damn it!). No dice. Never have that problem with any other ice cream (soft serve or not), frozen yogurt, gelato, frozen custard, etc. No idea exactly what causes it, but it has to be some ingredient that either isn't used in other ice creams I've had, or if it is it's in smaller amounts.

ETA: I wouldn't describe DQ soft serve as making me feel blah. Severe pain, yes.
  • paulbrttn
    paulbrttn Posts: 72 Member
    subakwa wrote: »
    Dominoes. I love pizza but after a Dominoes I always feel lethargic and head achey, with a side of bloat. I have no idea what they use that does this, but it is without fail. Pizza Hut doesn't do that at all.

All takeaway pizza chains (dominoes, pizza hut, papa John's etc) have this effect on me. Pizza from a supermarket, a restaurant or homemade however is fine.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

On the other hand, a friend of mine insisted on the brunch buffet at Shaw's Crab House for her birthday meal and with a group that was pretty fun and worthwhile: http://bucket2.shawscrabhouse.com/wp-content/uploads/chicago-brunch-1.pdf

When I was growing up we used to go to a really great buffet Nordic Lodge. For $93 per person, it better be good, right?!

Anyway, other than that place, I've never been a fan. We do have a Japanese buffet in town where they make all you can eat sushi rolls to order.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Chinese food takeout. God, it's delicious but give me about 20 minutes after I eat it, and I'm laying on the couch wishing I didn't eat. Another 20 minutes and I want more. LOL
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Yes, much of the foods at the local establishments make me feel actually sick. Have always had issues and eaten my way through them so to speak and just put up with it - hence, why I was over 200#! Now, I'm picky about going out anywhere - better be worth not only the $$, but be of good quality and clean - please be clean. On another note, my husband is a local plumber and has worked (unfortunately) in the backs of most of the places around here and will NOT go eat at most of them. And this is a man who would probably eat food that has fallen on our barn floor! Not squeamish in the least. He says folks would probably avoid most of the places if they could see into the kitchens and watch them cook.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    edited August 2016
    The ONE restaurant food that always gets me is lettuce. I have quit ordering salads or lettuce on sandwiches when we go out because I will usually have a problem shortly after eating. (No need to give give TMI here :o )