Being 'the best friend' aka 'turns out I am superficial'

Replies

• MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Run and run fast!
    You should never have to do something to change yourself for a man. You will always question yourself if you are good enough for his standards if you stay.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    He may have chosen the wrong words to express what he is thinking, English not being his first language.

I think you should just keep doing what you are doing and enjoy the friendship.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    I wouldn't call it the "honorable" thing. The point still remains that he probably used her to build his confidence while he got his act together and then tossed her aside once he was ready for "better things." It happens all the time (especially on the internet), but I wouldn't be handing him a medal for "doing the right thing." What else was he going to do, actually move her to Germany? HA!

It sounds like a "relationship" of mutual desperation and settling. Both parties are better off elsewhere.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member

But I really don't get the attitude I am seeing from a lot of women in the thread. ANY reason for not wanting to be with someone is a valid reason. A person has every right to want what they want in a mate for whatever they reason they want it. He wants to be with someone thinner. That is his choice, and he has every right to want that. Kind of funny that people say that makes him a jerk. It is a pretty crappy attitude that people would think that anyone should want to be with a woman no matter her weight or size. Many people don't find large women attractive. Get over it.

Anyone who isn't a clod can break up without giving hurtful reasons. All you have to say is "I want out of this relationship." His social ineptitude alone is a good reason not to be with him.

P.S. I'm a skinny chick.

Yeah, damn those honest guys. What *kitten*.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member

But I really don't get the attitude I am seeing from a lot of women in the thread. ANY reason for not wanting to be with someone is a valid reason. A person has every right to want what they want in a mate for whatever they reason they want it. He wants to be with someone thinner. That is his choice, and he has every right to want that. Kind of funny that people say that makes him a jerk. It is a pretty crappy attitude that people would think that anyone should want to be with a woman no matter her weight or size. Many people don't find large women attractive. Get over it.

Anyone who isn't a clod can break up without giving hurtful reasons. All you have to say is "I want out of this relationship." His social ineptitude alone is a good reason not to be with him.

P.S. I'm a skinny chick.

No, damn anyone who don't bother to think about the other person's feelings. He's ending it because he wants to, not because the other person cheated on him or lied to him. He can make a small sacrifice of not dumping on her while he does it.
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Hi. I think it sucks that you have invested so much time into this person. Then find out that he doesn't want to be with you because of your weight. It hurts to have that thrown up in your face. Aren't you glad that you didn't make a move to be with him and then find that out?
    Maybe it is time to reassess you! (I'm not saying there is anything wrong with you.) All I am saying is Maybe it is time to look at what you wanted, and see if you really still want the same things. Take time to make new friends, and go out to clubs, movies, or whatever you enjoy! Focus on making yourself better. Ex... Your weight, health, fitness, mental health.... Find out what will make you happy. Let romance, and love find you when you least expect it.

Good luck!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    I wouldn't call it the "honorable" thing. The point still remains that he probably used her to build his confidence while he got his act together and then tossed her aside once he was ready for "better things." It happens all the time (especially on the internet), but I wouldn't be handing him a medal for "doing the right thing." What else was he going to do, actually move her to Germany? HA!

It sounds like a "relationship" of mutual desperation and settling. Both parties are better off elsewhere.

She was recovering from a horrible relationship and I doubt that he entered into her life with the intention of using her. His feelings changed or he realized he was not as okay with her weight as he initially thought. The right thing was being honest with her.
  • whierd

P.S. I'm a skinny chick.

No, damn anyone who don't bother to think about the other person's feelings. He's ending it because he wants to, not because the other person cheated on him or lied to him. He can make a small sacrifice of not dumping on her while he does it.

He didnt dump on her, he was honest in a straightforward way.

I can't speak for others, but I would rather someone tell me the real reason they do not want to be with me rather than sugarcoat it. Much better than sitting around wondering if you are such an awful person that no one will ever love you. At least if someone told me it was because I am fat I would know that it is something fixable.
  • Mythril
    Mythril Posts: 146 Member
    Oh and by the way, apparently I have a 'very pretty face, but....' Any other girls just sick to the teeth of hearing that one?

Sorry I can't give you advice on the love life part. But, yeah. I get this all the time. I got stopped in the grocery store with my sister and the lady says "You're so pretty, you should lose some weight! It's a shame you're so big!" I know she didn't mean anything by it, it wasn't until I got home that my sister pointed out that it was kinda rude. I get it all the time.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member

P.S. I'm a skinny chick.

I can't speak for others, but I would rather someone tell me the real reason they do not want to be with me rather than sugarcoat it. Much better than sitting around wondering if you are such an awful person that no one will ever love you. At least if someone told me it was because I am fat I would know that it is something fixable.

There isn't anything wrong with her that she is unaware of, or that he was unaware of. Honesty has to have a point, like when you're breaking up with someone because of their ethics, or you aren't breaking up with someone and you need to fix a problem in your relationship.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    I have been in your shoes. I met M online and he knew I was overweight but not the full extent. I sent him pics and we talked all the time on messenger. We fell in love and got engaged, all before meeting in person. We started planning a wedding. I should add he lived in the UK and I lived in the states. Anyway, I bought my dress and just about everything needed on my end. I flew over to meet him and we still hit it off. He gave me a beautiful engagement ring. Then something changed, he was so distant. He blurted out that I was bigger than he thought. I told him to take me to the airport the next day, 12 days early, but said, big or small, I'll still be the same person you fell in love with. I was heartbroken and I'm not sure what happened but he didnt take me to the airport. I stayed but it destroyed my confidence with him and just broke me. I felt so insecure with him. I left with his contribution to our wedding and details of his flight to come over to the states. I truly felt he wouldn't arrive and even driving to the airport I thought, he may not even be here.

To my surprise, he was there! With a huge smile and the biggest hug. We have just celebrated 10 years of marriage and have 4 children. We have a very strong marriage but there were many times I still felt insecure. It took a long time to get past all that. I still can't be naked in front of him even though I have lost 100 pounds but that's mostly because I just have so much skin.

My suggestion is to communicate. Sometimes, fear keeps us from doing what we really want to do. Keep the lines open without pushing it. Let him know your true intentions. Has his weightloss inspired you? If so, let him know. Tell him you don't want to be this way for life and that's why you're taking the steps to do something about it now! That you're doing it for your future and not his but would love to have his support and guidance since he went through it.

X
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Alex_is_Hawks's point and the point that I agree with most is that he isn't just "superficial" but extremely egotistical. She's doing something that she obviously feels that she needs to do and he is trying to take the credit for it.

That's a huge personality flaw and she should be glad to see it before she's turned her life upside down and moved in with him.

Which is completely irrelevant to my post. There have also been several people blasting this guy for being superficial. Which is stupid. They need to understand that not everyone is going to find them attractive, and that being attracted to someone does matter in a relationship.

true and sure...but he still made a d!ck move...it goes like this...I'll put it in simplest terms

Him: "I don't find you attractive anymore, you are overweight, I no longer am...I just don't find you attractive"

Her: "Oh haven't you noticed the weight I've lost? I've been working on bettering myself, now that I'm ready, I feel good and I am shedding this weight."

Him: "only because of ME. So yeah, it's not legit...sorry"

THAT is the d!ck move...why not say "Wow I really support your efforts to get healthy...why don't we concentrate on getting healthier and see where this takes us however it may not result in our friendship ever being more than it is."

but no...he put up a reason for his lost attraction, which is a totally valid reason...attraction is attraction...it's valid...but when she suggests she could be getting healthier and losing the one piece he says stands in the way of him finding her attractive...

he tells her its not good enough, its only for his sake and thus not valid and totally invalidating any ability for her to contribute to a possible growth of the relationship...

THAT'S a d!ck move...

plain and simple.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,187 Member
    Two points.
    One - NEVER, NEVER, NEVER pursue an online relationship. I met my husband online, but we exchanged about 2 emails, one telephone conversation and then met and took it from there. An online relationship is a fantasy, pure and simple. Only real life contact, regularly, and for more than a few hours will tell you if this is going to work.
    Two - it was much too soon to develop ANY relationship so soon after breaking up from an abusive relationship. You need time, a long time to work out who you are and get comfortable being you. I had three and a half years on my own and it was the best thing I ever did. We do not need a man to make us feel good about ourselves. A relationship will only be a good one if it is coming from a place of strength, not a place of need.

It sounds to me as if you are already coming to realise some of this for yourself. Maybe your therapy is helping. You are growing in strength and this experience will help you go forward. You can learn from it. You will learn from it. Good luck and, as others have said, make a REAL life for yourself. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • whierd

P.S. I'm a skinny chick.

There isn't anything wrong with her that she is unaware of, or that he was unaware of. Honesty has to have a point, like when you're breaking up with someone because of their ethics, or you aren't breaking up with someone and you need to fix a problem in your relationship.

How does his honesty not have a point? Nad how is her awareness of her weight problem relevant?

If he simply told her that he didnt want to pursue a relationship anymore, she would likely have insisted on knowing the reason why. He gave her his reason, which I find reasonable.

That being said, I am sure she has expressed to him that she was actively trying tk improve her health, so if I were in his shoes, I would have waited.
  • LisaWho32
    LisaWho32 Posts: 25 Member
    Wow! Well, first of all, that's the last time I write a post and then walk away for a few hours! I can't believe all of the conversation and debate this has started. I'm sorry if I've opened a big can of worms here (and on my first official MFP day)! But I will say that I completely respect each and every opinion that has been offered and I thank all of you for taking the time to reply and tell me (and others) what you think.

When problems arise, whatever they are, it's good to have lots of different perspectives on it and I appreciate you guys helping me out with this!

To be clear, he IS a good man, and it's hard to put a whole story in a post, so I just picked out the important bits which may have made him sound worse than he is. So, I thank those of you who tried to see from both sides of the story, which is what I'm also doing.

The facts are this: I am NOT happy in myself being the size I am and feeling as unhealthy as I do (that's on me). He is a good man whose friendship means an awful lot to me. I am still in love with him and so was sad and hurt when he said what he did. However, and this may sound awful...I agree with him. In the first moments of hearing it, it was like a knife going through my heart, but as some time passed and my head clears, I am glad he told me the truth. I have asked him to be honest for the last year and I have done the same with him...why in the world would I expect that when it comes to this, he should lie to protect my feelings? Is that what a real friend does?

In terms of staying in touch with him, I am going to try, but who knows if my emotions will allow me to do that forever. But, the point is, I don't want to lose his friendship. So, as an earlier poster said, I just won't advertise what I'm doing to him or anyone (apart from you guys) just yet. It seems I can get all the support I need on here from people like me who have gone through it, are about to go through it or have done it. When I can reconcile the emotions behind his good intentions, then maybe I'll be able to speak to him openly about his tips and tricks and get that kind of support from him. But for now, it may be just a bit too soon.

As for me, I'm motivated, I want this and I'm GOING to do it...with or without him.

Sorry to go on again, I just felt that after starting this, I shouldn't just go into hiding after everyone had taken the time to comment one way or another, so again, thank you all for your kind words, honesty and inspirational suggestions - I really appreciate it! :)
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    I read a couple of pages of comments, then got distracted... sorry...
    But I think it would be worth backing off for a few months to work on yourself, reassess feelings etc, stay friends but keep some distance - then if you still really care for him, go for a visit, and see if there is real physical attraction between you still. You might find that the spark has faded and you really are just friends. You might find a mutual desire to go at it like rabbits. It will be an interesting test for both of you.
    If you do meet up, and it doesn't work out - well, at least you'll know.
  • LisaWho32
    LisaWho32 Posts: 25 Member
    I read a couple of pages of comments, then got distracted... sorry...
    But I think it would be worth backing off for a few months to work on yourself, reassess feelings etc, stay friends but keep some distance - then if you still really care for him, go for a visit, and see if there is real physical attraction between you still. You might find that the spark has faded and you really are just friends. You might find a mutual desire to go at it like rabbits. It will be an interesting test for both of you.
    If you do meet up, and it doesn't work out - well, at least you'll know.

Thanks :) That's a great suggestion...he still wants me to visit, so I'm sure it would be the same in a few months' time. Keeping some distance, though not ignoring completely of course, would help me to clear my head and focus on my goals for a while. I'd hope that by that time I will be feeling better both inside and out and would enjoy a trip to a beautiful country where I will actually be able to enjoy going on walks and enjoying the scenery...more than I ever would have been able to do right now! And if there is a spark we'll know...and if not...well, we'll know! :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Loves you but doesnt love you? So what if you gained weight because you had an autoimmune disease had to take steroids and gained weight would it be the same. You went through an abuse you turned to food to comfort yourself. Someone who has been 300lbs should understand that. Has he started talking to another woman online? And still wants you to visit what is that about? It's too confusing to me...dont let him lead you on. You may think he's your best friends and perfect for you, but to not understand your circumstance and not accept you as he's always known you is odd. If you talk about everything didnt you talk to him about being on MFP and wanting to live healthier? Why hasn't he give you advice and wanted to help you there?

If he doesnt love you that way then you need to move on dont waste your time. Remember the best revenge is success and happiness.

Youre still in love now so you dont want revenge but if it continues the way I image you will...
  • ldrosophila
    I think that he was being reasonable. Moving to a different country is a HUGE change and is not to be taken lightly. I disagree with everyone else that is saying "if he loved you then it wouldnt matter!" because physical attraction DOES matter. He also expressed concerns about you being able to keep up with his family's active lifestyle, again valid. He probably does not want to end up as a couch potato again because he feels guilty that you cannot keep up, but wants to spend time with you.

This whole notion that a woman's weight being the sacred cow (no pun intended) in a relationship is BS in my opinion. If you want him, then start improving your health and fitness, which you want to do for yourself anyway. If he is still hesitant after, then at least you did what you could.

I assume if you are talking to a person for a year online you are attracted to them. I'm sure in that year they've shared intimate moments online, and I bet he had no problems.

This is a 180degs!
  • ldrosophila

for him to think you are doing it for him is egotistical....and you should thank him for showing you that aspect of his personality...

see where that takes him....

cause you know...god forbid we do it for ourselves.

love that thought