Do you plan your cheat meals/days?

Replies

• carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    I've been trying to get out of the mindset of "cheat meals" because, personally, I've found it's not beneficial for me to be thinking in terms of "good" food, "bad" food, "cheating," "dieting," etc. What's been working for me lately has been looking at my calories for the entire week. My daily goal is 1350 calories but my TDEE is 1900, so I know anything under 1900 is in weight loss mode. There are days I'm under 1350 and days I'm over and I just try to have as close to a weekly average of 1350 as possible. For example, there are days when I eat my 1350 or so and then work out and am not extra hungry so I might only net 900 or 1000 that day. But then the next day, I have planned on going to my favorite Mexican restaurant or drinking a few glasses of wine or eating a giant dessert or whatever it is and that will put me quite over 1350--but between the two days I've averaged somewhere close to my goal. I've been averaging between 1350-1550 calorie weeks for the past couple months and I'm finding that quite sustainable for now. That balance and flexibility, for me, is key to maintaining my lifestyle change :) I understand some people have "trigger" foods that open up a lot of temptation and they have a hard time controlling but, for me, I do better balancing things in throughout the week. Best of luck to you! It definitely takes time, trial & error, to figure out what works best for you!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    While I personally don't label foods as good/bad/cheats/clean. What works for me OP? Eating food that meets my calorie and nutritional targets 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time is reserved for UNPLANNED IDGAF food whether it be larger than usual quantities of the normal food I eat (fruits/veggies/meat/full fat dairy) or foods I rarely eat (cake, chips, chinese etc.). This food usually significantly exceeds my calorie and macro targets and I feel zero guilt when I consume it because the majority of the time i'm giving my body what it needs. The reason I don't plan this food is because I want to eat it when I want to eat it. Maybe it's an unplanned breakfast with my sister, some drinks for a co workers retirement or my TOM; regardless, scheduling to eating highly caloric food once a week on a Saturday because it's Saturday would be pointless for me personally because like you I might not want to eat those things at that moment.

I still don’t understand how you can take it as a jab at "people saying perfectly pleasant things like "I don't call it a cheat day but...." when that's exactly what I said.

Well, obviously I did not mean the quoted bit. I meant the "rageful" and "nasty" bits. If you were simply reading the rest of us to be saying what you were, why inject those comments here?

Anyway, like I said, no biggie. Just something I don't get about interactions here sometimes.
    I've also already apologized to you for being unclear after you initially told me you were offended.

I wasn't offended, but asked a question. I also wasn't asking for an apology. Maybe this is an example of you reading posts (mine) to be more upset or bothered than they are. I think the topic about how communication here works is kind of interesting, but if you don't want to discuss it, that's cool. I'm not trying to be critical of you or claiming you did anything wrong or thinking anything negative about you at all, and like you said on the broader topic of the thread we seem to largely agree.

The subtopic that I found interesting is that I don't perceive comments about the value of the term "cheat" or questions about why one would think of it that way (or of course my own comments that I don't use the term) to be "nasty" or "full of rage," but I do think vague "people here are nasty" posts (or the posts, not from you, accusing some unnamed person of being "diet police" or whatever) can be unintentionally divisive or insulting, even if not intended to be, and tend to make a lot of people who never were remotely nasty wonder if they are being misinterpreted. I know I have posted really nice posts that someone else took the opposite of how intended (for example, I made fun of myself in one and the OP, who seemed to be quite sensitive, assumed that I was making fun of her when I hadn't at all), so the fact that you and I (and many other posters) seem to have the same position on this didn't make it obvious to me that you weren't including posts saying basically that as "nasty," puzzling as that would be. It seems that some find any discussion about semantics to be "nasty," for example, while I find it worthwhile and interesting, although I have no problem or "rage" resulting from someone else using the term "cheat meal."
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    I only eat at or above maintenance when I can't avoid it or if it is a special occasion. In the past 30 days I've only splurged on my calories once. The other days I just try to fit it into my calories which is hard especially if you like to drink like I do. Personally, I don't agree with the concept of cheat days where you eat every bad food under the sun. Not only does that not appeal to my appetite, but it will show that my relationship with food has not improved.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    edited September 2016
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    While I personally don't label foods as good/bad/cheats/clean. What works for me OP? Eating food that meets my calorie and nutritional targets 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time is reserved for UNPLANNED IDGAF food whether it be larger than usual quantities of the normal food I eat (fruits/veggies/meat/full fat dairy) or foods I rarely eat (cake, chips, chinese etc.). This food usually significantly exceeds my calorie and macro targets and I feel zero guilt when I consume it because the majority of the time i'm giving my body what it needs. The reason I don't plan this food is because I want to eat it when I want to eat it. Maybe it's an unplanned breakfast with my sister, some drinks for a co workers retirement or my TOM; regardless, scheduling to eating highly caloric food once a week on a Saturday because it's Saturday would be pointless for me personally because like you I might not want to eat those things at that moment.

I still don’t understand how you can take it as a jab at "people saying perfectly pleasant things like "I don't call it a cheat day but...." when that's exactly what I said.

Well, obviously I did not mean the quoted bit. I meant the "rageful" and "nasty" bits. If you were simply reading the rest of us to be saying what you were, why inject those comments here?

Anyway, like I said, no biggie. Just something I don't get about interactions here sometimes.
    I've also already apologized to you for being unclear after you initially told me you were offended.

I wasn't offended, but asked a question. I also wasn't asking for an apology. Maybe this is an example of you reading posts (mine) to be more upset or bothered than they are. I think the topic about how communication here works is kind of interesting, but if you don't want to discuss it, that's cool. I'm not trying to be critical of you or claiming you did anything wrong or thinking anything negative about you at all, and like you said on the broader topic of the thread we seem to largely agree.

The subtopic that I found interesting is that I don't perceive comments about the value of the term "cheat" or questions about why one would think of it that way (or of course my own comments that I don't use the term) to be "nasty" or "full of rage," but I do think vague "people here are nasty" posts (or the posts, not from you, accusing some unnamed person of being "diet police" or whatever) can be unintentionally divisive or insulting, even if not intended to be, and tend to make a lot of people who never were remotely nasty wonder if they are being misinterpreted. I know I have posted really nice posts that someone else took the opposite of how intended (for example, I made fun of myself in one and the OP, who seemed to be quite sensitive, assumed that I was making fun of her when I hadn't at all), so the fact that you and I (and many other posters) seem to have the same position on this didn't make it obvious to me that you weren't including posts saying basically that as "nasty," puzzling as that would be. It seems that some find any discussion about semantics to be "nasty," for example, while I find it worthwhile and interesting, although I have no problem or "rage" resulting from someone else using the term "cheat meal."

Perhaps I am reading posts to be more upset or bothered than they really are. The internet is an interesting place and you never know peoples real feelings or intentions but to be honest your comment wasn't one of them; I didn't even see an initial post from you when I made my comment.

I’d like to point out that I commented that “I'll never understand the rage in these forums at other people choosing to use the labels of good/bad/cheats/clean”. What I did not say was “I’ll never understand why the people in this thread are raging out over “cheats.” You asked me "why inject those comments here"? I thought they were somewhat relevant to the topic at hand. Perhaps they aren’t relevant at all and could/should have been left out, however people include irrelevant information in their comments all of the time (intentionally or not) . I could ask you the same thing on why inject comments here to a particular user on the topic of communication.

Its good to know that you find vague comments not directed at a particular user unhelpful, I can now be aware that other users might feel the same and be more specific moving forward. Just as you find it unhelpful to make vague comments I find it a bit unhelpful to divert the topic from “cheats” to communication. For this reason if you really would like to discuss communication further I too find it an interesting topic (especially after this discussion) and am more than happy to discuss via direct message,
  • TerriMobley
    TerriMobley Posts: 2 Member
    well this is my forth day at the low carb and already charlie horses ....i can't win for losing .
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I think it's funny when people say "just fit it into your plan" - you mean have 2 pieces of brownie with ice cream and then starve the rest of the day? Sometimes it doesn't work like that. Sometimes you just want to eat MORE, even if you manage to fit most things into the diet on an every-day basis - and I do. I eat pizza and grilled chicken burgers and just adjust the rest of the day accordingly. So even though I don't feel THAT restricted, there are still days when I don't want to worry about it.

Every 3-4 weeks I pick one day to "cheat" or whatever you want to call it. Then I go over all of the macros equally, about 25-50% more than recommended. It fits a nice restaurant pizza and some chocolate, plus a few other things. So it's planned and controlled, but makes me happy and works for me.

Since when does 2 pieces of brownie and ice cream equal well over 1200 calories? I can have both and still have calories left over for meals.
  • vamandy9698
    vamandy9698 Posts: 17 Member
    I also eat "clean" and I tend to have one or two "cheat" meals in a week. This usually revolves around going out to eat with my family. I never exercise more because of what I ate or eat at a deficit afterwards it is just part of my lifestyle.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I think it's funny when people say "just fit it into your plan" - you mean have 2 pieces of brownie with ice cream and then starve the rest of the day? Sometimes it doesn't work like that. Sometimes you just want to eat MORE, even if you manage to fit most things into the diet on an every-day basis - and I do. I eat pizza and grilled chicken burgers and just adjust the rest of the day accordingly. So even though I don't feel THAT restricted, there are still days when I don't want to worry about it.

Every 3-4 weeks I pick one day to "cheat" or whatever you want to call it. Then I go over all of the macros equally, about 25-50% more than recommended. It fits a nice restaurant pizza and some chocolate, plus a few other things. So it's planned and controlled, but makes me happy and works for me.

Since when does 2 pieces of brownie and ice cream equal well over 1200 calories? I can have both and still have calories left over for meals.

Well Applebee's brownie and ice cream... 1670 calories. So 1200 calories is actually low for 2 brownies and ice cream, lol. Even I would have a hard time fitting that in my week (considering that desserts never fill me up).

8d02bdf84e9d44dd07df2671f559e34d.jpg

I think the point really is that, to be able to fit them in, your cheat days have to be reasonable... you know?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Its good to know that you find vague comments not directed at a particular user unhelpful, I can now be aware that other users might feel the same and be more specific moving forward. Just as you find it unhelpful to make vague comments I find it a bit unhelpful to divert the topic from “cheats” to communication. For this reason if you really would like to discuss communication further I too find it an interesting topic (especially after this discussion) and am more than happy to discuss via direct message,

I agree it's not a great idea to divert the topic. I didn't feel like I was diverting the discussion but following the discussion (how posters talk about the term "cheat"), which you had begun. If you believe that was a misunderstanding, so be it--like I said, maybe we were talking past each other, as this begun since I assumed that when you posted it in this thread we were talking about the thread. I do agree that we should have stopped a couple of posts ago! Neither of us seems to be good at just ending it. ;-)

Anyway, I don't think there's anything more to say, but if you do, feel free to message me.

(I think OP has gotten a lot of comments on her topic, including from me, and I am quite happy to discuss those too, but there's only so much one can say about "this is how I used to do more indulgent than usual days and this is how I am currently doing it." That's because -- as we seem to agree -- different people find different things work for them.)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    well this is my forth day at the low carb and already charlie horses ....i can't win for losing .

Cramps / charlie horses are typically a sign that you are not getting enough electrolytes. When you eat low carb, you need more sodium.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    I dont plan and I dont have cheat days or even cheat meals. Sometimes I have cheat snacks
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

Well Applebee's brownie and ice cream... 1670 calories. So 1200 calories is actually low for 2 brownies and ice cream, lol. Even I would have a hard time fitting that in my week (considering that desserts never fill me up).

I think the point really is that, to be able to fit them in, your cheat days have to be reasonable... you know?

That....looks really good!
    But...I was thinking home made brownies and a serving of Breyers vanilla which would have fewer calories. That up there is special as heck.
    And tasty looking.
    And....the closest Applebees to me is in NY. So I am good there. ;)
  • MMC19
    MMC19 Posts: 3 Member
    The weekends are primarily cheat days for me! Coming from a family with a history of obesity and eating disorders I have learned that this is what is best for me and is recommended by most physicians. Usually, during the weekdays I am working and/or going to school. Therefore, during these five main days I prefer to stay sharp and on my toes with the help of a healthy diet. We all look forward to "splurge weekend", right? So, why not splurge on food and fun during Saturday and/or Sunday!
  • sfcrocker
    sfcrocker Posts: 163 Member
    My cheat days are pre-planned: Valentine's Day, Easter (big family dinner), my mom's birthday (another big family dinner), my birthday, Halloween (extra candy), Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Eve
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited September 2016
    PinkSuede wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »
    There's something seriously wrong if a bite of a brownie is considered cheating.

Im sticking to a primarily clean diet so any seriously unclean foods or anything with sugar added it strictly reserved for cheat meals. And lets be serious. It wont be just one bite lol

How do you feel about the 5 second rule?

I don't have cheat days. If I want a brownie I eat a brownie. I pretty much eat whatever I feel like eating. Sometimes it takes a little more planning, say if I feel like eating a pizza I need to eat lighter the rest of the day to fit it in and I try to satisfy that particular craving on one of my more active days.

I really dislike the whole "Cheat day" thing. It Makes no sense at all to me to plan to cheat on your diet. It's like intentionally shooting yourself in the foot while trying to convince yourself and those around you that it won't hurt a bit.

Why not just learn how to fit the foods and treats you enjoy into a healthier overall way of eating.
  • dj12478
    dj12478 Posts: 1 Member
    I've lost 90 lbs so far this year and I have about 35 more to go before I'm at goal. I'm determined to make that happen this year even though it's much harder now than it was in the beginning. I don't do cheat meals or days or whatever. It's a personal decision and not one that's necessarily right for everyone. I joined Overeaters Anonymous and so I'm "abstinent", meaning I completely avoid my trigger foods. I don't plan on this being my whole life. Once I'm at my goal weight I'll incorporate calories from different places that I've avoided and just work them into my daily calorie allowance however that might happen. For me, I just don't think I can mentally allow myself to cheat before I've reached a goal. I typically eat lean and clean and it's really worked for me. I realize this isn't for everyone and everyone is on their own journey - just sharing mine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    edited September 2016
    Francl27 wrote: »

That....looks really good!
    But...I was thinking home made brownies and a serving of Breyers vanilla which would have fewer calories. That up there is special as heck.
    And tasty looking.
    And....the closest Applebees to me is in NY. So I am good there. ;)

Ha! I'm normally a Ben & Jerry's girl, but Breyers is my ice cream of choice for brownies :)
  • kyleldrake
    kyleldrake Posts: 3 Member
    How does everyone eat the rest of the day after the cheat meal? If you're normally doing, say, 5 clean meals a day doing a 40/40/20 macro goal, do you still force yourself to eat those other meals if your pizza cheat meal was in the mid-afternoon? I find it hard to eat anything after the cheat. I'm full for the rest of the day it seems.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    edited September 2016
    PinkSuede wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »
    There's something seriously wrong if a bite of a brownie is considered cheating.

Im sticking to a primarily clean diet so any seriously unclean foods or anything with sugar added it strictly reserved for cheat meals. And lets be serious. It wont be just one bite lol

How do you feel about the 5 second rule?

I don't have cheat days. If I want a brownie I eat a brownie. I pretty much eat whatever I feel like eating. Sometimes it takes a little more planning, say if I feel like eating a pizza I need to eat lighter the rest of the day to fit it in and I try to satisfy that particular craving on one of my more active days.

I really dislike the whole "Cheat day" thing. It Makes no sense at all to me to plan to cheat on your diet. It's like intentionally shooting yourself in the foot while trying to convince yourself and those around you that it won't hurt a bit.

Why not just learn how to fit the foods and treats you enjoy into a healthier overall way of eating.

That's why the word "cheat" is dumb and I call it "spiking".

I can totally relate. In the past I wanted to be perfect on my diet and "cheating" made no sense at all. I also thought it would send me on a downward spiral. Neither one is true.
    The first time I "Spiked" was out of desperation. I was in a 4 week plateau and going insane with cravings. It was an all too familiar path. But this time instead of fighting it, I chose to give in and eat whatever I wanted in one day. The sole purpose at that time was to clear my mind and start a new path. I expected to gain a few pounds back but I figured to make this work long term it was a worthy sacrifice.
    However my mind was blown when I actually lost 3 pounds the week that followed.
    I also learned that doing this gave me an immense feeling of control and realized that trying to be perfect is the perfect way to fail.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    kyleldrake wrote: »
    How does everyone eat the rest of the day after the cheat meal? If you're normally doing, say, 5 clean meals a day doing a 40/40/20 macro goal, do you still force yourself to eat those other meals if your pizza cheat meal was in the mid-afternoon? I find it hard to eat anything after the cheat. I'm full for the rest of the day it seems.

If i go to the buffet for lunch, I don't eat beforehand and am too full to eat dinner. On my at home days i usually eat mid/late afternoon, and have a light dinner (or not at all) and don't bother with dessert that day, because i have had dessert type foods during the day, so i am stuffed and sugared out.