Do you plan your cheat meals/days?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    I think it's funny when people say "just fit it into your plan" - you mean have 2 pieces of brownie with ice cream and then starve the rest of the day? Sometimes it doesn't work like that. Sometimes you just want to eat MORE, even if you manage to fit most things into the diet on an every-day basis - and I do. I eat pizza and grilled chicken burgers and just adjust the rest of the day accordingly. So even though I don't feel THAT restricted, there are still days when I don't want to worry about it.

Every 3-4 weeks I pick one day to "cheat" or whatever you want to call it. Then I go over all of the macros equally, about 25-50% more than recommended. It fits a nice restaurant pizza and some chocolate, plus a few other things. So it's planned and controlled, but makes me happy and works for me.

Exactly. For me, it's not so much the type of food, but the amount of it. I simply can not fit the amount i want into my deficit, so i save it for my cheat/dgaf/treat days or whatever one wants to call it..

But when people say "fit it into your plan," they presumably mean in an amount that makes sense given the goals for the day or otherwise in a way that fits into your life. Eating one high cal dessert and having no calories for the rest of the day is NOT making it fit, unless that's something you actually find enjoyable and do on rare occasion.

Some things fit on a daily basis (50 cal square of chocolate, if that's your thing). Others may be enjoyable as desired only with a huge calorie splurge, so have to fit by being rare (this is what I decided to do with things like Indian or Ethiopian -- I like to eat what I want without thinking about calories, rather than fit in a little or a lower cal version). Both are ways of making it fit, though.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I think it's funny when people say "just fit it into your plan" - you mean have 2 pieces of brownie with ice cream and then starve the rest of the day? Sometimes it doesn't work like that. Sometimes you just want to eat MORE, even if you manage to fit most things into the diet on an every-day basis - and I do. I eat pizza and grilled chicken burgers and just adjust the rest of the day accordingly. So even though I don't feel THAT restricted, there are still days when I don't want to worry about it.

Every 3-4 weeks I pick one day to "cheat" or whatever you want to call it. Then I go over all of the macros equally, about 25-50% more than recommended. It fits a nice restaurant pizza and some chocolate, plus a few other things. So it's planned and controlled, but makes me happy and works for me.

You fit it in your plans - but nobody's saying that they're going by daily calories though. I go by weekly average... so I can eat at a 300-400 calories deficit 6 days a week and fit that brownie and ice cream on day 7 if I want.

I'm maintaining though, but I did the same when I was losing (500 calorie deficit or so), so I could still have a high calorie day and keep a deficit - BUT let's face it, I never had TWO brownies and ice cream either. But I've had some 3000+ calories days and still kept a deficit those weeks. It just takes some planning (or being extra careful after an unplanned high calorie day).

Let's be honest though - you still have to make good choices, and REALLY ask yourself how much you want that brownie and ice cream. I save the high calorie stuff for when I really crave them. Sure, every day I want to go to my favorite bakery and have a donut or a croissant... but I don't do it. And a cheat day for the sake of a cheat day? No thanks. I'm not going to spend 3000 calories on something I don't really want in the first place... special occasion or not. Heck I had a big deficit on July 4th this year because I had no interest in hamburger buns or my husband's birthday cake (which I made myself too!).

That's why I don't like the idea of a 'cheat day'. I see people ask what they should eat on their cheat day and it's just the wrong question... Ask yourself what you REALLY want to eat. And make room for THAT. And make good choices the rest of the time.
  • rome_411
    rome_411 Posts: 29 Member
    I plan a cheat day once per week most of the time as a reward. I typically plan my food diary days in advance including cheat days if possible. By cheat day I mean I will treat myself for a meal out or cook something that I enjoy, but that is not a part of my regular more healthy routine. I still try to be accountable in terms of moderation and I often will add an additional workout routine to my daily plan to compensate for some of the extra calories.
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    cldneria21 wrote: »
    Do you guys log your cheat meals on my fitness pal?

I try my best to log everything - so I know just how "bad" I've been on a day I don't stick to my calorie goals. It gives me an idea of what to do next time I'm in the same situation. For example, this past Saturday, I went someplace and had a footlong hotdog with sauce and a huge serving of fries and a "small" ice cream that turned out to be pretty large. Next time I go... maybe I'll skip the fries. Maybe I'll get a "kiddie" cone instead. Maybe I'll just exercise more to make up for the extra calories.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member

While I personally don't label foods as good/bad/cheats/clean. What works for me OP? Eating food that meets my calorie and nutritional targets 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time is reserved for UNPLANNED IDGAF food whether it be larger than usual quantities of the normal food I eat (fruits/veggies/meat/full fat dairy) or foods I rarely eat (cake, chips, chinese etc.). This food usually significantly exceeds my calorie and macro targets and I feel zero guilt when I consume it because the majority of the time i'm giving my body what it needs. The reason I don't plan this food is because I want to eat it when I want to eat it. Maybe it's an unplanned breakfast with my sister, some drinks for a co workers retirement or my TOM; regardless, scheduling to eating highly caloric food once a week on a Saturday because it's Saturday would be pointless for me personally because like you I might not want to eat those things at that moment.

@lemurcat12
    I still don’t understand how you can take it as a jab at "people saying perfectly pleasant things like "I don't call it a cheat day but...." when that's exactly what I said. Whether you personally feel that i've "imagined" rage/nastiness on the general topic throughout the forums is not really relevant. As I have said it's my perception overall, not on this particular thread and i'm entitled to my perception (if you view it as imaginary that's fine too, you're entitled to your perception).

This was my original post with the "rage" comment you have taken offense to removed. Perhaps that word has blinded you from the rest of my post that essentially agreed with what you said. My only point in saying “I'll never understand the rage in these forums at other people choosing to use these labels. “ was that even though I do not not personally use these labels I do not understand why people are so sensitive to people using words like “cheat” and ”clean.”

I answered the OP's question on why I do or do not plan for "cheats/treats/whatever. (To reiterate I eat them and don't plan for them)" I've also already apologized to you for being unclear after you initially told me you were offended. Clearly going back and forth at this point isn't adding anything to this thread so i'll refrain from posting any further. I do find it interesting though that the only time i've seemed to offend someone on this forum is with someone who shares the same opinion on the topic.

• Osprey10
    Osprey10 Posts: 6 Member
    edited September 2016
    i hit enter before i was ready to post. Ill edit later. I cant figure out how to delete it right now.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

You fit it in your plans - but nobody's saying that they're going by daily calories though. I go by weekly average... so I can eat at a 300-400 calories deficit 6 days a week and fit that brownie and ice cream on day 7 if I want.

I'm maintaining though, but I did the same when I was losing (500 calorie deficit or so), so I could still have a high calorie day and keep a deficit - BUT let's face it, I never had TWO brownies and ice cream either. But I've had some 3000+ calories days and still kept a deficit those weeks. It just takes some planning (or being extra careful after an unplanned high calorie day).

Let's be honest though - you still have to make good choices, and REALLY ask yourself how much you want that brownie and ice cream. I save the high calorie stuff for when I really crave them. Sure, every day I want to go to my favorite bakery and have a donut or a croissant... but I don't do it. And a cheat day for the sake of a cheat day? No thanks. I'm not going to spend 3000 calories on something I don't really want in the first place... special occasion or not. Heck I had a big deficit on July 4th this year because I had no interest in hamburger buns or my husband's birthday cake (which I made myself too!).

That's why I don't like the idea of a 'cheat day'. I see people ask what they should eat on their cheat day and it's just the wrong question... Ask yourself what you REALLY want to eat. And make room for THAT. And make good choices the rest of the time.

Not all of us can just fit a cheat day into a week. I struggle with hunger even when I hit my target calories. A cheat day would consume an entire 14 days of calories, so to just fit it in means literally fasting for 2 weeks and on the last day having a cheat day. The idea of doing that is just dangerous. I congratulate those who can just fit in their cheat using a smaller deficit every day. Just don't pretend that what works for you will work for everyone.
  • BeverlyMarsh1986
    BeverlyMarsh1986 Posts: 72 Member
    In your example though I simply wouldn't eat 2 pieces of brownie with ice cream and starve the rest of the day. I would likely avoid the brownie, cut it down to some no sugar added ice cream (very good by the way) and crumble a half brownie on top, or simply skip the brownie all together. If I didn't have the calories for that, I'd plan ahead and work out more that day, or pay for it the next day by working out more and having a larger deficit. Where there's a will there's a way. I can tell you that I do not, under any circumstances, deny myself ice cream. I simply choose healthier/lower calorie versions. Granted, they cost more, but they are available. Half the time ice cream fulfills my daily fiber goals at the end of the day when I was lacking otherwise. It's a snack I have before bed likely 4-6 times a week. I don't eat less though, I simply work harder for it on a regular basis so that it does in fact fit my plan.

Oh, I agree! I eat the Arctic Zero or Halo Top ice cream regularly, too, and they are tasty! Many things (even pizza and beer) can fit into the weight loss plan. My point was that there are some foods that I love that can't fit into the regular, daily plan. For those, I make room on special days, maybe once a month. My favorite sub from Firehouse Subs has exactly the calories I have for one day... Am I never ever going to eat it again or only buy substitutes that aren't as good? No, that's what occasional cheat days are for. It works for me, because they actually make me more committed and I can easily jump back the next day. That said, I haven't had that particular sub since I started losing weight. It was just the highest calorie item I could think of for this example. :)
  • mollyjjames
    mollyjjames Posts: 3 Member
    I do a hybrid. Sometimes things come up (like a girlfriend came over and we finished off a bottle of wine) that I didn't plan for. But then we're having friends in town and going to a really nice restaurant with a tasting menu and wine pairing. So that will be my cheat meal for next week - so I'm watching what I eat every day leading up to it. But two weeks ago, I was craving some ribeye steak, hardcore. So I added it to my salad and ate the whole seven ounces.

I think you have to be flexible to satisfy cravings and keep yourself on track. But also planning for some nice meals out here and there can add some scheduling in.
  • mollyjjames
    mollyjjames Posts: 3 Member
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    PinkSuede wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »
    There's something seriously wrong if a bite of a brownie is considered cheating.

Im sticking to a primarily clean diet so any seriously unclean foods or anything with sugar added it strictly reserved for cheat meals. And lets be serious. It wont be just one bite lol

I eat lots of seriously unclean food and stuff with added sugar everyday. I plan it in and log it all. From your definition every day is a cheat day for me. I don't label foods as good or bad so I don't do cheat meals. I just eat what I like in portions that keep me full and fit into my calorie goal. If there is a day that I do go over (because life and holidays and special events happen) then I just log everything as best I can. I would never be able to stick to something as strict as "clean" eating. I honestly don't even really know what that means. I eat most of the same things I always ate including fast food and processed foods and real sugar. I've been very successful with calorie counting this way and I am now in maintenance.

I think you can define cheat meals differently. Some people do 'clean' eating all week and then add in processed or sugar for their cheat meals. Others reduce stuff and then go over their calorie count for cheat meals. What works for you, works for you.

For me, I'm tracking macros and calories. So a cheat meal is any time I dip outside of my macro budget/calorie budget. I limit my sugar and processed food intake, but as long as it fits in my budgets, if I do indulge it's not necessarily a cheat meal. Very sustainable that way, for me.
  • Francl27

Not all of us can just fit a cheat day into a week. I struggle with hunger even when I hit my target calories. A cheat day would consume an entire 14 days of calories, so to just fit it in means literally fasting for 2 weeks and on the last day having a cheat day. The idea of doing that is just dangerous. I congratulate those who can just fit in their cheat using a smaller deficit every day. Just don't pretend that what works for you will work for everyone.

I'm just really confused - a 14 days worth of calories cheat day for me would be... almost 31,000 calories. I can't imagine how anyone would be able to eat that much. A 'cheat day' for me is maybe 800 calories over my TDEE... it's something I can make up for in 2 days. Then it gives me 4 more days to get a deficit for the week.

You're a man. I hardly believe that you maintain on less than 2000 calories... so your post makes absolutely no sense. Unless of course your understanding of a 'cheat day' is going way overboard until you're so stuffed that you can't move anymore... then you probably should change your expectations a bit.

About the hunger thing - impossible to tell with your diary closed, but you need to make sure that you're eating enough protein, fat, and fiber.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner

I'm just really confused - a 14 days worth of calories cheat day for me would be... almost 31,000 calories. I can't imagine how anyone would be able to eat that much. A 'cheat day' for me is maybe 800 calories over my TDEE... it's something I can make up for in 2 days. Then it gives me 4 more days to get a deficit for the week.

You're a man. I hardly believe that you maintain on less than 2000 calories... so your post makes absolutely no sense. Unless of course your understanding of a 'cheat day' is going way overboard until you're so stuffed that you can't move anymore... then you probably should change your expectations a bit.

About the hunger thing - impossible to tell with your diary closed, but you need to make sure that you're eating enough protein, fat, and fiber.

First, my TDEE based on MFP's calculation method for weight, height, and activity is about 1,630 and I'm trying to lose by eating 1,400 per day. Why you think all men have a maintenance of at least 2,000 calories escapes me.

Second, I've had cheat days where I logged (defining a cheat day as that I eat whatever and as much as I want without restriction). Some have been in excess of 20,000 calories... some have even been closer to 30,000 calories. Conservatively, if I use 20,000 / 1,400 = 14.3 days worth of calories. Yes, that is at a planned deficit. Maintenance would be about 12 days. Keep in mind that this is a conservative calorie estimate since I have actually logged more than 27K calories in a single day (go back a couple pages in this thread for a description of an actual cheat day for me).

Third, I have an incredible appetite and it is absolutely insatiable. Part of that might be because my body does not make amylin. I do eat low carb now (obviously eating whatever I want would not be low carb based on my previous explanation) and hunger is not quite as bad as it was before eating low carb. However, I happen to have a big appetite anyway.

It sounds like you think you understand my calorie output and satiety factors better than I do. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but you don't.
  • Francl27

First, my TDEE based on MFP's calculation method for weight, height, and activity is about 1,630 and I'm trying to lose by eating 1,400 per day. Why you think all men have a maintenance of at least 2,000 calories escapes me.

Second, I've had cheat days where I logged (defining a cheat day as that I eat whatever and as much as I want without restriction). Some have been in excess of 20,000 calories... some have even been closer to 30,000 calories. Conservatively, if I use 20,000 / 1,400 = 14.3 days worth of calories. Yes, that is at a planned deficit. Maintenance would be about 12 days. Keep in mind that this is a conservative calorie estimate since I have actually logged more than 27K calories in a single day (go back a couple pages in this thread for a description of an actual cheat day for me).

Third, I have an incredible appetite and it is absolutely insatiable. Part of that might be because my body does not make amylin. I do eat low carb now (obviously eating whatever I want would not be low carb based on my previous explanation) and hunger is not quite as bad as it was before eating low carb. However, I happen to have a big appetite anyway.

It sounds like you think you understand my calorie output and satiety factors better than I do. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but you don't.

So, just because your experience is VASTLY atypical, you think that everyone else's advice is not appropriate? I don't think ANYONE here was talking about completely unreasonable 20,000 calorie cheat days. Just because you feel the need to gorge yourself on a 'cheat day' doesn't mean that everyone else does.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member

So, just because your experience is VASTLY atypical, you think that everyone else's advice is not appropriate? I don't think ANYONE here was talking about completely unreasonable 20,000 calorie cheat days. Just because you feel the need to gorge yourself on a 'cheat day' doesn't mean that everyone else does.

Wait, but he was responding to say that it doesn't work for everyone...which is also what you're saying...so why are you disagreeing with him? All he said was that what works for you doesn't necessarily work for everyone, which is something you seem to agree with, but you're still passing judgment on the way he eats because it's not the way you eat...???
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Oh, I agree! I eat the Arctic Zero or Halo Top ice cream regularly, too, and they are tasty! Many things (even pizza and beer) can fit into the weight loss plan. My point was that there are some foods that I love that can't fit into the regular, daily plan. For those, I make room on special days, maybe once a month. My favorite sub from Firehouse Subs has exactly the calories I have for one day... Am I never ever going to eat it again or only buy substitutes that aren't as good? No, that's what occasional cheat days are for. It works for me, because they actually make me more committed and I can easily jump back the next day. That said, I haven't had that particular sub since I started losing weight. It was just the highest calorie item I could think of for this example. :)

I understand you completely. There are a few things I would never get to eat again if I wanted to fit them into my daily calories. So I approach it differently, I may eat them and then add a deficit the rest of the week to make up for it, or I'll find a way to change the recipe to make it healthier and fit it in. I've also been known to bust my *kitten* with an extra 1k calorie burn in order to enjoy a meal out with the wife that I know is horrible on calories. I figure as long as I pay for it in some way, it isn't cheating. To me, cheating is eating it and not paying for it either before or after. I'm just too stubborn to do that with the exception of big holidays (thanksgiving/xmas). Even on those big holidays I log it all though, so I know exactly how much I went over, and what it'll take over the next week or two to fix it. I'm basically trying to teach myself what it takes to live without logging because eventually that's what I'll want to do. I'm lucky in the fact that I don't have high blood pressure (now anyway, after losing the weight and getting fit) or diabetes so nothing is really off the table as long as I use he influx of calories to my advantage.

By the way, that must be a good sub!! My favorite at Subway comes in around 1200 calories. For me that's not en entire day, and I can easily have that left around dinner time but it's a lot for my wife who is stuck around 1400 per day at her current deficit.

• Francl27
    Mentali wrote: »

Wait, but he was responding to say that it doesn't work for everyone...which is also what you're saying...so why are you disagreeing with him? All he said was that what works for you doesn't necessarily work for everyone, which is something you seem to agree with, but you're still passing judgment on the way he eats because it's not the way you eat...???

Because there's just no point in his post, except to be argumentative. It's like a vegan posting on a thread about meat saying that the advice wouldn't work for him because he doesn't eat meat. Although I suppose I can give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he really believes that when people talk about 'cheat days', it means eating over 10,000 calories... although then he could probably have figured out by himself that you can't easily fit 10,000 calories in a week so that *maybe* in that case eating 10,000 calories in one day wouldn't be a good approach... but no, he had to point it out. Doh.

So yeah. I got nothing.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member

Because there's just no point in his post, except to be argumentative. It's like a vegan posting on a thread about meat saying that the advice wouldn't work for him because he doesn't eat meat. Although I suppose I can give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he really believes that when people talk about 'cheat days', it means eating over 10,000 calories... although then he could probably have figured out by himself that you can't easily fit 10,000 calories in a week so that *maybe* in that case eating 10,000 calories in one day wouldn't be a good approach... but no, he had to point it out. Doh.

So yeah. I got nothing.

Why are you under the assumption that "people" is more than just you in this scenario? You're assuming your definition of "cheat" is everyone's, and if he disagrees with you, he's just being difficult because you're the normal one and he's weird! How can you say that with any certainty? It just seems to be an assumption you're making so you can get on with the judging, and that's silly.

All he's saying is that for him it's more difficult due to how hungry he can get and his maintenance calories.

Finally: your analogy is wayyy off. He's talking about cheat days. This thread is about cheat days. Just because you think your definition of cheating is the "right" one and his is wrong doesn't mean his post is pointless - he's just sharing like you did. It's more like the thread asks how people get their protein and he said "I'm a vegan, so I get my protein mostly from quinoa."
  • Francl27

So yeah. I got nothing.

Why are you under the assumption that "people" is more than just you in this scenario? You're assuming your definition of "cheat" is everyone's, and if he disagrees with you, he's just being difficult because you're the normal one and he's weird! How can you say that with any certainty? It just seems to be an assumption you're making so you can get on with the judging, and that's silly.

All he's saying is that for him it's more difficult due to how hungry he can get and his maintenance calories.

Finally: your analogy is wayyy off. He's talking about cheat days. This thread is about cheat days. Just because you think your definition of cheating is the "right" one and his is wrong doesn't mean his post is pointless - he's just sharing like you did. It's more like the thread asks how people get their protein and he said "I'm a vegan, so I get my protein mostly from quinoa."

Eh. Whatever.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    My point, which was apparently lost because some users can't grasp my example to support that point, is that not everybody can fit a cheat day/meal/whatever into their daily/weekly/whatever calories. For some of us, having a cheat day cancels significant amounts of weight loss effort and it isn't feasible to plan those cheat days by using deficits from other days. The only way to plan a cheat day is to only allow it at certain milestone weight goals. And when that milestone is reached a 2nd time (after the gain from a cheat day is lost again), not allow a cheat day until the next time.