A habit or something missing?

2»

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    I have dessert every night. It is definitely a habit, and a hard one to break. I'll be totally stuffed after dinner but i still need that sweet fix regardless. It's like my brain has become accustomed to something sweet straight after my meal.
    The feeling only hits at dinner time, i rarely get sweet cravings during the day.

Yes, same! This only hits me after dinner time!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I eat chocolate every night right before I go to bed, actually I eat it watching TV before turning out the lights.

For me this is just a habit for me that I adopted from my husband. I swear I am convinced I sleep better.. :)
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Haha! yes I am all about chocolate!
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    edited August 2016
    I was starting to eat a treat every night after dinner, but I was having to reduce my lunch portions to make room for it. I stopped because it wasn't worth it. I was really glad that I stopped before it became a habit.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I have one square of 86% cacao dark choc every day after dinner, then I'm good for the evening, No cravings or snacking. I enjoy it and don't try to over analyze it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Definitely habit. I don't blame you though... I had dessert after dinner pretty much all my life.

Now what I do is really ask myself if I want something. If I just want 'something sweet' but can't think of anything specific... I have a cup of tea instead. At lunch I often finish my meals with a Greek yogurt (flavored) and/or an apple and it's pretty satisfying... or a square of chocolate with my coffee. Or a couple chocolate covered hazelnuts.

But yeah, when it comes to sweets, my rule is really that unless I'm craving something specific, I should just save the calories (if I start eating sweets because 'I'm craving sweets', it's when I'm most likely to binge on them anyway... as it's not as satisfying to me as when I really crave it).

But otherwise, I saved 100-200 calories for dessert after dinner most of the time when I was losing.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    edited August 2016
    Sounds like a habit to me, rather than your body craving some missing nutrient.

I also stand in line with those who have a dessert after dinner. I enjoy it, eat it slowly late evening, and think of it as my late snack (to stop my mind thinking ooh I'll have a snack later on). My current fave is a medium size banana sliced up and covered with a pot of greek yoghurt - with a handful of all bran thrown in too usually.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I tend to think that too, but don't want to believe that I've developed that habit and now have to break it lol!

It's a habit...that doesn't make it bad or make it something that needs to be broken...a lot of things we do are simply habit. I'd say this is a rather benign one. I have a little something for desert pretty much every night...I really don't see an issue with it when I look at my diet within the context of the whole.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    I always have something after my last meal. Weather it's physical or emotionally derived there's nothing wrong with it as long as it fits within your calorie limit

For this process to work you have to enjoy doing it and if you're constantly giving up stuff you don't like it's not going to work. I lost 80 pounds since January 1st 2016. It was extremely easy for me as crazy as that sounds. During that time I still had the occasional Wendy's hamburger slice or two of pizza or beer on the beach. If I have to give up those things it would have never worked.

Enjoy the journey