Do you count calories burned during weight lifting?

2»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I wear my polar watch with chest strap during any workout, so, yes, I count mine. I go hard when I'm there and can have a 600 calorie burn for an hour to 75 minutes. I earned those, so it counts to me!

Your polar tells you that you burn 600 calories in 1 1/4 hours of lifting? This is not correct in any way. HRM'S cannot possibly gauge calories burned during lifting.

maybe this will explain..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/hrms-cannot-count-calories-during-strength-training-17698

I agree 100%.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    I log it but don't count it. If I do a lot of cardio I'll count half. I lift because I want my body to retain muscle and look great when I drop off the fat. It makes me feel great but it's not gonna give me much to log and I lift heavy...
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I figure the weightlifting is part of my activity level so i don't count it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    I figure the weightlifting is part of my activity level so i don't count it.

MFP's "Activity level" is about how you spend the majority of your day, i.e., your job:

722gtgkz5kms.jpg

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    I've found calculators for my weight and the amount of weight lifted over a period of time for calories burned, but I don't log them. I do hand weights on a balance ball for 30-40 minutes. What does everyone log, only cardio or weights as well?

I log weights. I do this in the cardio section of my exercise diary and use the entry "Weight training, free weights." I don't eat back 100% of the exercise calories I get from MFP.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2016
    I do from my Body pump class. My Polar watch usually gives me 350-450 for a one hour class. It''s probably a little off, but Bodypump is more cardio and lighter weight driven anyway, without the frequent breaks.
    If I were lifting heavy again on a regular program, I'd probably eat a protein bar afterward and consider that most of my calories burned.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Never have, never will. I spend hours and hours lifting weight per week.
  • Eleanor_82
    Eleanor_82 Posts: 57 Member
    No, only cardio.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    I don't count the calories from lifting weights but I personally wouldn't count "hand weights on a balance ball for 30-40 minutes" as weight lifting either (even though technically it is lifting weights, it is probably more of a cardiovascular activity).