Replies

• CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    I like corned beef and cabbage :)
  • ReneeDawalga5100
    ReneeDawalga5100 Posts: 177 Member
    Instructions on making the soup please!
    marm1962 wrote: »
    I personally don't understand why people think cabbage soup is so awful, I love the stuff and since I have this reminder I can eat this while my husband is gone on his 2 week vacation --- This is my version of the Cabbage Soup and it's much healthier and tastier than the Old one: Substitute what veggies you like or take out the ones you don't

Cabbage Soup
    Servings 25
    calories per serving: 93
    serving size: 1Cup

20 Ingredients
    Use a very large pot or cut ingredients in half.

1.00 tbsp, Coconut Oil
    1.00 tbsp, Olive Oil
    437.00 g, Carrots - Raw
    171.00 g, Celery - Raw
    547.00 g, Squash - Summer, all varieties, raw (this time of year you can use winter squash, Delecta would be great for this recipe as you don't have to peel it.

401.00 g, Spinach - Canned, drained solids or use fresh
    232.00 g, Mushrooms - Raw
    1028.00 g, Cabbage - Raw
    214.00 g, Onions - Raw
    244.00 g, Peppers - Sweet, green, raw
    1.00 tbsp(s), Spices - Oregano, dried
    1.00 tbsp, Spices - Garlic powder
    1.00 tbsp, leaves, Spices - Basil, dried
    1.00 tbsp, Chives - Freeze-dried
    2.00 tsp(s), Spices - Pepper, black
    8.00 cup, 33% Less Sodium Chicken Broth-b
    8.00 cup (8 fl oz), Water
    475.00 g, Cut Green Beans - Canned or fresh ♥
    2.00 container (1 4/5 cup (122g) ea.), Black Beans
    12.00 oz, Chicken Breasts Boneless Skinless

Nutrition Facts
    Total Fat 2 g 3 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 3 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 8 mg 3 %
    Sodium 398 mg 17 %
    Potassium 369 mg 11 %
    Total Carbohydrate 14 g 5 %
    Dietary Fiber 5 g 19 %
    Sugars 5 g
    Protein 8 g 16 %
    Vitamin A 78 %
    Vitamin C 50 %
    Calcium 8 %
    Iron 10 %

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    kanaada wrote: »
    Hi everyone I thank all of you for ur comments and feedback it's just that I'm so tired of my binges and no matter what I do be it not restricting my food, eating intuitively, I still end up overeating!!! I really wanna get rid of this 2kg I gained from overeating I am really depressed. I gave myself 3monrhs to slowly lose this 2kg but it did not work at all that's why I'm resorting to wanting to try this crash diet. Hope my post isn't offensive or seem ignorant to any of y'all :(

While some of us (me) may have a less than stellar delivery, no one is offended by your question. We see them a lot so some replies may be short and to the point. Some, if not all, responding to you have either done the cabbage soup diet or similar crash ones and want to let you know that they are a waste of time. I know you want to do something NOW because you are motivated and are afraid you will lose the motivation. But the only way this will work is to make new habits and stick to them, including changing your way of thinking. Keep it simple, use MFP to calculate your calories and eat them in order to get into a calorie deficit. Whether its "clean", Paleo, Low Carb, Moderation, whatever makes you feel good ! Try each eating method to see which you like best and stick to it, because that is what will get you to your goal. Cabbage soup would get you into a deficit but what's the point if you cannot stick to it or it triggers a binge and you regain the weight?

Good luck, and keep reading the forums as there is a lot of great info to be found to help you.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Hi everyone I thank all of you for ur comments and feedback it's just that I'm so tired of my binges and no matter what I do be it not restricting my food, eating intuitively, I still end up overeating!!! I really wanna get rid of this 2kg I gained from overeating I am really depressed. I gave myself 3monrhs to slowly lose this 2kg but it did not work at all that's why I'm resorting to wanting to try this crash diet. Hope my post isn't offensive or seem ignorant to any of y'all :(

Can I ask you somethings? If you have trouble with binges, what makes you think severly restricting your diet is going to fix that? What is it about eating nothing but one type of soup that makes you think it is that much easier to do? If you think you can do that, why can't you apply that same kind of willpower to just eating better?

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member

I guess it's all relative but you seem to be quite stressed about what is, to most, a pretty small weight gain - 2kg. I know everyone is different but I can tell you that I tend to vary by about 1 -1.5kg on a daily basis (often depending on the types of food and whether I have drunk alcohol the day before).

Have a think about that 2kg and realise that you do not need to take drastic action to lose it - you just need to consistently eat at a slight calorific deficit. And that brings me to my next point: Your food diary seems to be:
    1. Sporadic
    2. Contain many generic items
    3. Centre around shop bought, pre-packaged items

Fixing 1 and 2 will improve your logging and give you a better chance of hitting your weight goal. Reducing the number of pre-packaged foods MAY help you to feel fuller on less food and therefore help with consistency.

Please do not get me wrong here: I am not saying that unprocessed, "clean", raw, wholefood, or any of that type of stuff is necessary for weight loss, may people have proved otherwise, but that meals which centre around single ingredient foods with a decent balance or protein, carbohydrate, and fat CAN OFTEN be more filling and so help out dieters - not to mention that a diet of this type is often healthier than one which is composed of mainly pre-made meals.

@kanaada - in addition to the great advice above, also try eating more protein and less carbs. When I eat foods low in protein I can eat and eat and eat and never feel satisfied.

If this doesn't snap you out of it, I suggest professional help due to your posts and the "Self Hatred - Binge" entry in your diary, which concerns me.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    I haven't done the Cabbage Diet but I have done some pretty stupid things to try and lose weight in the past. None of them were worth it or ushered in meaningful change into my life.

My advice is to take the disproportionate importance you have put onto that 2kgs, which you have hinged your self esteem upon, and place it on things you can control and track meaningfully.

So, if you like lifting focus on how they are progressing. Or if you like running making a certain distance. That kind of stuff. Eat well and mindfully at a small deficit. Don't weigh yourself. The weight will come off when it is ready to, you won't spend all the time feeling crap, you will have achieved something meaningful and yes, one day you will look back, shake your head and wander why you thought that 2kg was important in the first place.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    it's just that I'm so tired of my binges and

no matter what I do be it not restricting my food, eating intuitively, I still end up overeating!!!

I really wanna get rid of this 2kg I gained from overeating I am really depressed. I gave myself 3monrhs to slowly lose this 2kg but it did not work at all that's why I'm resorting to wanting to try this crash diet.

Baby steps :) You don't let your toddler loose on the highway (I hope). You can't go straight from no restrictions to intuitive eating. You need some structure to your eating, to learn to eat in response to your hunger and not to (try to) soothe emotions. That takes time and commitment and hard work. But strict, silly diets don't work, and that's not the only solution you have left. Have you given meal planning an honest try?

2 kg is nothing. Your percepion is skewed because you are depressed, or maybe you just are depressed because your percepion is skewed? Struggling with basic needs will be exhausting. Are you getting treatment for depression? If so, can you talk about your difficulties with eating with your therapist?
  • I happen to like the Cabbage Soup Diet soup. It only "smells up your house" if you don't like cabbage! I've been making it very similar to what ReneeDawalga5100 listed in her post, adding kale, rosemary, cauliflower and fresh basil and different kinds of peppers and keeping it in the fridge for when I want to snack. It's fiber and nutrients without adding a lot of calories or fat.

My problem is that I crave crunchy things and will binge on chips if they are available. There is something satisfying about a nice warm bowl of soup and the crunch of peppers and celery pieces. If I have something healthy available - and this soup is healthy - then I will eat that instead. Overall, I am trying to overhaul my diet and not go for the chips or bread products, so I'm not eating this strictly as a weight loss measure.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    The cabbage soup in that diet is delicious!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    i havent tried the cabbage soup diet
    I havent actually tried cabbage soup, but i do like cabbage
    so how many times a day do you drink the soup and how long for?
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    I did this diet about 15 years ago. It sucked so bad. I think I made it to day five and the thought of eating another bowl of cabbage soup made me want to puke. I get nauseated just thinking about it. I won't lie and say I didn't lose on it, but I'm sure I gained it back quickly once the week was over. Ugh. Don't do this...
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    I love a good, hearty homemade soup, especially in the winter. Warming, nutritious and delicious. I've often made a dinner of it with just a side of some crusty bread and cheese.

But cabbage soup and nothing else for days on end? Not a snowball's chance in hell. :)

It's not nothing else. You get to eat some bananas and a few of the days you get a piece of meat. I can't remember exactly, but it's just mostly cabbage soup.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    kendahlj wrote: »
    I love a good, hearty homemade soup, especially in the winter. Warming, nutritious and delicious. I've often made a dinner of it with just a side of some crusty bread and cheese.

But cabbage soup and nothing else for days on end? Not a snowball's chance in hell. :)

It's not nothing else. You get to eat some bananas and a few of the days you get a piece of meat. I can't remember exactly, but it's just mostly cabbage soup.

The way you describe it just made me think of a menu in a Turkish prison lol.

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    It sounded so good at the time. BIG mistake.. can't say enough bad things about it. Weak..hungry… gained more weight back fast…and that has never happened to me before. DONT DO IT>>>
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    kendahlj wrote: »

Still not a snowball's chance in hell. ;)
  • rachel780mpg
    rachel780mpg Posts: 83 Member
    I personally don't understand why people think cabbage soup is so awful, I love the stuff and since I have this reminder I can eat this while my husband is gone on his 2 week vacation --- This is my version of the Cabbage Soup and it's much healthier and tastier than the Old one: Substitute what veggies you like or take out the ones you don't

Cabbage Soup
    Servings 25

20 Ingredients

1.00 tbsp, Coconut Oil
    1.00 tbsp, Olive Oil
    437.00 g, Carrots - Raw
    171.00 g, Celery - Raw
    547.00 g, Squash - Summer, all varieties, raw (this time of year you can use winter squash, Delecta would be great for this recipe as you don't have to peel it.

1028.00 g, Cabbage - Raw
    214.00 g, Onions - Raw

Nutrition Facts
    Total Fat 2 g 3 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 3 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 8 mg 3 %
    Sodium 398 mg 17 %
    Potassium 369 mg 11 %
    Dietary Fiber 5 g 19 %
    Sugars 5 g
    Protein 8 g 16 %
    Vitamin A 78 %
    Vitamin C 50 %
    Calcium 8 %
    Iron 10 %

This sounds way better than the cabbage soup they recommend for that diet
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2016

Cabbage Soup
    Servings 25

20 Ingredients

1.00 tbsp, Coconut Oil
    1.00 tbsp, Olive Oil
    437.00 g, Carrots - Raw
    171.00 g, Celery - Raw

1028.00 g, Cabbage - Raw
    214.00 g, Onions - Raw

Nutrition Facts
    Total Fat 2 g 3 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 3 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 8 mg 3 %
    Sodium 398 mg 17 %
    Potassium 369 mg 11 %
    Dietary Fiber 5 g 19 %
    Sugars 5 g
    Protein 8 g 16 %
    Vitamin A 78 %
    Vitamin C 50 %
    Calcium 8 %
    Iron 10 %

Nobody is knocking the soup. It's the overly restrictive low calorie diet that goes along with it.....
    Day 1: any fruit except bananas
    Day 2: vegetables but no fruit
    Day 3: fruits and vegetables
    Day 4: bananas and milk?!?!
    Day 5: beef and tomatoes
    All along with as much cabbage soup as you like, you lucky person...
    You get the idea.

I have never done the "Diet" like that, I was just saying that Cabbage Soup in itself is not horrible, tasteless, and or non nutritious

But the OP wasn't talking about cabbage soup, though. They were referring to the cabbage soup diet. A useless, horrible, angry diarrhea inducing waste of time that does nothing for fat loss.

Unfortunately it sounds like you are in the restrict-binge cycle and further restriction will inevitably lead to more binging

I agree with this.. OP, you need to see someone about this or it will never get better
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

Cabbage Soup
    Servings 25

20 Ingredients

1.00 tbsp, Coconut Oil
    1.00 tbsp, Olive Oil
    437.00 g, Carrots - Raw
    171.00 g, Celery - Raw

1028.00 g, Cabbage - Raw
    214.00 g, Onions - Raw

Nutrition Facts
    Total Fat 2 g 3 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 3 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 8 mg 3 %
    Sodium 398 mg 17 %
    Potassium 369 mg 11 %
    Dietary Fiber 5 g 19 %
    Sugars 5 g
    Protein 8 g 16 %
    Vitamin A 78 %
    Vitamin C 50 %
    Calcium 8 %
    Iron 10 %

This sounds way better than the cabbage soup they recommend for that diet

That's what I was thinking.

Once upon a time this was called the Dolly Parton Diet. The cabbage soup recipe was nasty! Canned tomatoes (or stewed tomatoes) dry instant French Onion Soup mix, veggies and water. The soup mix was a total sodium bomb. Yuck.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that anyone suffering from the symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, or Compulsive eating make use of the resources offered by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. You may reach the ANAD hotline by phone in the US: 847-831-3438 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, Central Time) or on the web at http://www.anad.org/site/anadweb/

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

Thanks for your understanding,
    JustSomeEm
    MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.