Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

So I was going to bake my first bread....

1161718192022»

Replies

• kcmcbeekcmcbee Posts: 128Member Member Posts: 128Member Member
    Looks fantastic! How is it?
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 8,521Member Member Posts: 8,521Member Member
    kcmcbee wrote: »
    Looks fantastic! How is it?

????
    Obviously horrible ;)
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Posts: 21,633Member Member Posts: 21,633Member Member
    I got "Flour Water Salt Yeast" from the library and am totally geeking out over it. @lemurcat2 - have you read this? I think you'd like it! Amidst all the methodology and instructions there are essays - I just read the wheat essay, which has a very Michael Pollan feel.

I had started with the intent to make the ATK "Almost No-Knead Bread" recipe that calls for a cold oven and cold Dutch oven, but am switching to the FWSY baking method, which call for a hot oven and pre-heated Dutch oven, so fingers crossed.

It's a Double Dutch Oven Day - when the bread comes out, I'll be putting a beef stew in.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 4,961Member Member Posts: 4,961Member Member
    No, but I will definitely look for it.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I got "Flour Water Salt Yeast" from the library and am totally geeking out over it. @lemurcat2 - have you read this? I think you'd like it! Amidst all the methodology and instructions there are essays - I just read the wheat essay, which has a very Michael Pollan feel.

I had started with the intent to make the ATK "Almost No-Knead Bread" recipe that calls for a cold oven and cold Dutch oven, but am switching to the FWSY baking method, which call for a hot oven and pre-heated Dutch oven, so fingers crossed.

It's a Double Dutch Oven Day - when the bread comes out, I'll be putting a beef stew in.
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    No, but I will definitely look for it.

I recommended that book before. Great resource and learning tool. Also, beautiful photos.
    edited January 20
  • LoveyCharLoveyChar Posts: 953Member Member Posts: 953Member Member
    Just wanted to share my first loaf of homebaked bread here. No yeast, so I baked Irish Soda Bread as the suggestion of some super helpful people. Tasted great, only mistake made was too deep of a cut in bread. Husband is super picky but actually complimented my bread which was nice. Just empowering to know I can do it (so can you), first time I've ever baked anything from scratch.
    2ipqvi2wbimu.jpg
    edited March 20
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    Just wanted to share my first loaf of homebaked bread here. No yeast, so I baked Irish Soda Bread as the suggestion of some super helpful people. Tasted great, only mistake made was too deep of a cut in bread. Husband is super picky but actually complimented my bread which was nice. Just empowering to know I can do it (so can you), first time I've ever baked anything from scratch.

Good on you for trying this out. People have no idea how simple bread can be. And all it takes in a few ingredients everyone should have at home.

Your bread I would not even slice, I would just pull apart and I see 4 buns right there. I would slice the rest :)
    just_Tomek wrote: »

Good on you for trying this out. People have no idea how simple bread can be. And all it takes in a few ingredients everyone should have at home.

Your bread I would not even slice, I would just pull apart and I see 4 buns right there. I would slice the rest :)

I didn't, I just pulled it apart. Smeared braunschweiger and put pickles on it and that was lunch today. It was good. I didn't realize until after it was baked what "make a deep cut" really means. As far as kneading it, rolling it into a ball, the consistency was absolutely perfect!
    braunschweiger........... and learned something new today. Did not even know I am making something similar at home :) yumm!!!!
    I made homemade pasta today and it was surprisingly easy and fun! yk0bz62da0y0.jpg
  • mjbnj0001mjbnj0001 Posts: 771Member Member Posts: 771Member Member
    I made homemade pasta today and it was surprisingly easy and fun!

With all this at-home sheltering, we were able to stock up pretty well on flours and baking components (I'm used to making about 80% of our breads using various "no knead" methods). So, as I have an excess of whole wheat flour (enough for a couple of months), I'm interested in trying homemade wheat noodles and whole wheat tortillas. They look pretty striaghtforward. Also drop noodles for things like Polish haluski, if we get some cabbage delivered.

It looks as if you did your pasta by hand, not machine?

mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    I made homemade pasta today and it was surprisingly easy and fun!

With all this at-home sheltering, we were able to stock up pretty well on flours and baking components (I'm used to making about 80% of our breads using various "no knead" methods). So, as I have an excess of whole wheat flour (enough for a couple of months), I'm interested in trying homemade wheat noodles and whole wheat tortillas. They look pretty striaghtforward. Also drop noodles for things like Polish haluski, if we get some cabbage delivered.

It looks as if you did your pasta by hand, not machine?

I did do it by hand, no machine. Hey that's great and if you do make it from scratch, post it if you can. I'd love to see it! Fresh or final result with sauce, or both.
  • midlomel1971midlomel1971 Posts: 1,203Member Member Posts: 1,203Member Member
    It's amazing how much better homemade pasta tastes over regular store-bought. Enjoy!
    It's amazing how much better homemade pasta tastes over regular store-bought. Enjoy!

Thank you!
  • bflrngattbflrngatt Posts: 5Member Member Posts: 5Member Member
    Do not make homemade bread while trying to lose weight it’s more addicting then chocolate chip cookies 🍪 you will eat the whole loaf before it even cools. Or maybe that’s me.