Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Workout on an EMPTY stomach or after EATING?

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    I'm running 4xweek. I like to run on an empty stomach. I'm also doing a 20:4 IF diet. I can workout in the morning and have enough energy to get through it but then I have a very difficult time fasting tell dinner so I run after the fast. Problem with that is I run out of juice after about 30-minutes of running. I can fix that and not get an upset stomach by taking UCAN superstarch about 1-hr before I run or I take a tsp of coconut oil about 30-min before I run or I do both. I actually set a pr last thurs for this year in a 5k run by a minute over the previous week by following that protocol (taking both). Before that I just did the starch and it didn't quite get me through the race. This really works for me.
  • debbiesteinman
    debbiesteinman Posts: 55 Member
    If I do heavy weights, kettle bell workouts I try to have a protein shake and branch chain amino acids 1 hour before working out and eat a great nutritious meal after the workout plus I try to stop eating by 6pm. On cardio days I do my workouts in a fasted state as I am doing the 18-6 intermittent fasting on those days. Too much heavy food causes me an upset stomach so I wait till I can enjoy it after hard workouts. So far this pattern works for my body. We must pay attention to our body and do what is best for ourselves to reach our goals in a healthy way.
  • kevinkehres7
    kevinkehres7 Posts: 13 Member
    Unless you’re a competitive athlete, the answer is “whatever works for you”. If you’re a competitive athlete, the answer is “whatever your coach says works for you.”

There is literally no right answer. It’s YMMV all the way down.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited October 2017
    Because I run on my lunch break, I find eating before I run to be best for me. I'm not very hungry after I workout and it's not a good idea to skip lunch so .... I eat less because I don't want to have something heavy in my stomach before I go run and I have a short period of time to eat before I need to change real quick, get the dogs ready, go run, come back, dry off and change back into work clothes.
  • PrimalForLife
    PrimalForLife Posts: 28 Member
    Empty. I try to work out in the morning before I eat anything - this works well to maximize the period that I'm burning fat from the previous evening, before I break the fast (breakfast).
  • Dannyboy313
    Dannyboy313 Posts: 14 Member
    My experience it's a better workout when I have porridge and a protein shake about 90 mins before training and a banana on my way to the gym, I do mainly weights though could be different for a runner for example, only time I've ever felt sick is when I haven't eaten so my view is for strength, fuel up
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    If I workout after soon eating, I'll puke it up. So yeah, no pre-workout meals for me.

We are all different, some people need a pre-workout meal, some people can't have them.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Why necro this thread?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2018
    Damn. Whyyy
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    I prefer to workout on an empty stomach. However, sometimes I like a casual walk after dinner.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    edited June 2018
    EMPTY. I can’t imagine working out on a full stomach. I get indigestion too easily. Being full makes me sluggish too.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    For me it’s an empty stomach or I end up getting indigestion.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Everyone reacts differently to a full stomach in the gym male or female. Lumping every human who exercises into male and female assumes that every person of each sex has identical physiology. I personally can't stand the feeling of fullness with either weight training or "cardio". I like to sip a little coffee during morning workouts and eat afterwards. I enjoy my workouts. Do whatever feels better.
  • cpw2109
    cpw2109 Posts: 43 Member
    I 'train' fasted a couple of times per week. By train, I mean cycle-commute (try to stay in HR zone 2-3, just over 13 miles average ~14mph) so I'm taking it steady. Usually do the fasted commute on a Tuesday and a Friday. Last week, I decided to do Tuesday and Wednesday fasted, but I bonked/hit the wall/ran out of juice 2 miles in to my return commute. That was very much not a fun commute home - felt physically sick, arms shaking, legs had no power, had a couple of 'wobbles'. In fact, given the traffic conditions, I was likely a danger to myself and others. Made sure I ate more during the following day.

But, generally, a fasted commute a couple of times per weeks seems to help me. I have read (although have no links to hand) that a protein shake/source of protein before a fasted commute is acceptable as it's about training in a carb depleted state (so relying on fat for fuel, rather than carb/glycogen). So, I normally have 2 coffees, some water and a serving of protein.

If I'm doing a longer ride (solo/group or club) then I'll eat well the day before and I'll have a good breakfast before the ride.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I run on a near empty stomach, two cups of morning coffee....wait for 30 minutes to 'go', then run. Strength training I need something in my stomach, not too much, but something.

Everyone is different and whatever works for me, may not work for others. Do what works best for you.
  • Mandylou19912014
    Mandylou19912014 Posts: 208 Member
    edited July 2018
    I did try fasted cardio once and I felt violently sick during and after. I spent the rest of that day feeling weirdly hungover and have never done it since. I always make sure that I eat something before exercising like a protein shake or banana as it helps to keep my energy levels up
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    I can workout on empty stomach as late as 11 am. If I start exercise later I have couple seeps of my protein shake and than I can have really heavy endurance and weight workout
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    KittyVida wrote: »
    I was having this debate with a male friend. After much research I learned that it is best for MEN to workout on empty while WOMEN should eat a little something. Our bodies process differently. But in the end, you should do what you best perform by.

So the question is: Which have you been doing and why do you prefer it?

male or female I would think it would depend on the person. I walk in the early afternoon usually so it's most likely after having two major meals that day but not always. Just depends. But some people are fine getting up to work out at 4 or 5am whereas others have to wait til later in the day which would be after a meal or two.
  • angeleyes010974
    angeleyes010974 Posts: 16 Member
    When I first started working out I always worked out fasted what I was used to and when I started working with a PT he told me to eat something at least an 1-2 hours before my workout my biggest meal. So far I feel better when I am working out. I feel i have more energy and I dont get hungry during my workouts anymore.
  • mazurkiepolish
    mazurkiepolish Posts: 363 Member
    I work out usually on an empty stomach or with a very very light meal in me, whether it’s an egg or a banana or an apple. If I eat a bigger meal before I work out, I feel very sick.