October (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Went to the doctor yesterday, and I officially have a hamstring strain, so no running outside until I’m pain free. However, I can do all the non-impact cardio I want so for now, I’m running on the Zero Runner at the gym. I have a physical therapy session scheduled for Wednesday. I did try running up and down my street last night in my socks, and there was no pain. I may try doing that each night to see how that goes. I have 490 miles on my running shoes, so they are due to be replaced. It makes me wonder if the shoes are contributing to my pain since it hurt to run in them Wednesday night.

@kristinegift You are one dedicated woman!! I probably would have gone for the indoor treadmill, but 12 miles on a treadmill would be pretty miserable too! LOL You definitely deserve your rest day today!!

@shanaber Sounds like you are making some good progress!!

@garygse Happy birthday!! Runner’s yoga will definitely help you recover from your birthday half marathon if you can squeeze some in tonight before bed. @Stoshew71 posted some links to online videos a few days ago.

@7lenny7 I’m always paranoid of other drivers too. So far, I’ve just had people honk their horn loud which scared the crap out of me.

@RunsOnEspresso Although I haven’t done tons of races, I have never been stopped in one, either having to wait for traffic or getting turned the wrong way. That would be incredibly frustrating.

@RespectTheKitty Enjoy your new shoes and Garmin!! I have Cascadias too, but I should have gotten them a size bigger. I have a really wide toe box and they get uncomfortable when doing long trail runs. However, I love the way they handle. The trails near me area really rocky, and I’ve used them in Colorado too.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @mom3over40 I once stopped at Target at the end of my run to pick up coffee. I didn't think about having to carry it back. It was awkward. :p

@BeeerRunner It's the only one I've been stopped in. I wouldn't wish that on any one. I don't think non-runners get how mental running is.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,225 Member
    edited October 2016
    11/10 3 miles
    12/10 3 miles
    13/10 3 miles- 3rd run of week and my ankle doesn't feel too bad!
    19/10 3 miles - thought it was going to be 4 miles as I was feeling great but the sun came out and started beating down on me and I crumbled, my legs felt fine but my heartrate rocketed and I overheated so I just did the 3. I've told myself I'd be better to do 3 - 4 days at 3 miles instead of pushing the 4. I started out too fast anyway, but I was feeling the best in ages. A well.
    21/10 3 miles
    22/10 3 miles
    23/10 3 miles - best week I've had since early June!
    26/10 3 miles
    28/10 3miles

@RespectTheKitty - That Garmin 735XT looks fab! Enjoy!

Enjoy your weekend everyone.

exercise.png

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    @BeeerRunner thanks for the info...I'll check out the link when I get home and give it a try after some serious foam rolling!

And thanks also to everyone that sent birthday wishes. :)
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    10/1 - 12.2 mile group run. It was a nice cool morning.
    10/2 - Rest day with much over-eating.
    10/3 - Overslept, but squeezed in a short 3.1 miles.
    10/4 - Bodypump class, then a TOUGH Abs/Core class. Finally won the Snooze Button Battle!
    10/5 - 5.06 miles. After last night's rain, we have officially begun slippery leaf season.
    10/6 - Taper / rest day. Only 10 days until IMT Half Marathon. Can't wait...love the race day atmosphere!
    10/7 - 5.01 miles. Chilly and windy today = long sleeves and tights
    10/8 - 7.9 miles. Lovely morning.
    10/9 - Rest day.
    10/10 - Sick day...quick 24-hour virus.
    10/11 - 4.65 miles.
    10/12 - 5.0 miles. Windy. Negative splits...whoop!
    10/13 - Family sick day...wife/daughter have whatever I did.
    10/14 - 5.06 miles. Relaxed, easy...felt like I could go forever. Alas, there is a race to be run on Sunday and a job to go to.
    10/15 - Pre-race rest day.
    10/16 - 13.37 miles.
    10/17 - Rest / Recovery
    10/18 - 3 mile recovery run. Hurt a bit in the hips.
    10/19 - 5.09 miles.
    10/20 - 5.01 miles. Cool and comfortable.
    10/21 - Unplanned rest day.
    10/22 - 7.1 beautiful miles.
    10/23 - Rest day.
    10/24 - 4.25 miles. Slog today.
    10/25 - Bodypump class, then Abs/Core class.
    10/26 - Unplanned rest day...again.
    10/27 - 5.07 miles. A little chilly, but great for late October!
    10/28 - 2.6 miles. Cut short due to oversleeping.

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member

1---3.17 walk/run ish
    2---2.7 walk
    3---travel day, Dallas PT
    4---4.7 walk
    5---rest
    6---4.04 walk
    7---0.6 walk
    8---rest
    9---state fair walk, 1+ miles
    10---3.36
    11---pt appointment
    12---sore/rest
    13---35 minutes bike trainer/2.45 TM walk/few weights
    14---4.4 walk
    15---4.8 walk
    16---2 poké walk
    17---2.1 Robbers Cave hike.
    18---4.2 Rough Canyon hike (corrected)
    19--- Travel home, PT.
    20---1.5 poké walk
    21---1k poké walk
    22---3. 2 mile walk
    23---rest
    24---4.7 walk
    25---pt/travel 1k walk
    26---5.1 walk
    27---4.58 walk
    28---3.29 walk. I think I'm due for a rest day. So tight an achey today. I keep stretching and stretching, then my mild headache turned migraine. I can not wait to see the doc next week. Surgery was on the left, which is weak, but not painful walking. My right is really unhappy. It feels like it's originating from the piriformis, *sigh*. Hope this one I can fix before it becomes chronic.

I swear I was followed yesterday at the park. Not very stealthy, at all. I suspect it's a disability thing. Of course, yesterday i was feeling pretty good. *Shrugs*. I'm keeping an eye on jobs in the area. If I'm not released, and disability is denied- I'm canned. But I'm sure my doc won't do that to me. Still a little unnerving. There are not a lot of good paying chemist jobs within 100 miles of here. Wonder if they bother stalking my mfp account? Eh.

62.99/50+ walking miles goal - really surprised, compared to last month. PT has been amazing!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member

@RespectTheKitty Ah, it will be so hard to wait. I've had the 735XT for about a month now. Such a great investment. Did you go for the aqua or the black? I got the aqua and I love it!

I'm boring, I went with black. :smile:

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    @agusia_b That's an excellent watch, congrats!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    OK, after reading the last 2 days of conversation, I REEEAAAALLLYY want to buy new shoes! Sad thing is...I just got a new pair last week! :D

Anyone who likes Saucony Ride, Brooks Ghost and/or Asics Cumulus have others they like? Just for variety?

@mmteixeira - How are the Cliftons compared to Ride and Ghost?
  • Elise4270

Anyway, now I have more than one pair of shoes (three...), how do you all keep track of their miles/know when it's time to replace them?

I use Garmin. Not sure how else one would track it. Maybe replace them by how old they are? Usually you can tell when they are breaking down. Foot pain and unusual aches and pains are a give away.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited October 2016
    Anyway, now I have more than one pair of shoes (three...), how do you all keep track of their miles/know when it's time to replace them?

Congrats on the new shoes!

Both Garmin & Strava allow you to enter your various shoes and select a target mileage. You can even select one pair to be the default pair. if you run in a different pair it's easy enough to change. With Garmin Connect you can even put your shoe odometers on your dashboard.

I set mine to 300 miles then when I get close I start to pay closer attention to how I feel afterwards but I continue to wear them until I think I start to feel more beat up than usual. Having pair at different mileage helps to compare how a new shoe feels to a tired, wore out shoe. Once you reach the limit you can mark them as retired.

From Garmin Connect:

9sqz5m0xd095.jpeg

From Strava:
    cykvsg9ic0n2.jpeg

@karllundy if you want a little more cushion you could try the ASISCS Nimbus or the Brooks Glycerin. Those are my two main road shoes. I just retired my one pair of Cumulus, which I didn't care for as much as the Nimbus, but it was close.

• emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,338 Member
    Way behind my goal but did a 10km charity run last night.

Probably a stupid mistake having only run 5km previously. About 6.5km into it I started getting discomfort down my left leg from the hip to the knee. However it was only moderate, didn't affect my form and I wanted to finish the run as was actually enjoying it and otherwise feeling good.

This morning I can barely walk on it! I am figuring it's the IT band from upping my mileage too much. Bummed out as was keen to get into more long runs asap starting tomorrow.

I have read that stretching and rolling is the best remedy, but mixed info about whether to keep running or not.

Any tips or experience?? I'm a swimmer not a runner so more used to dealing with shoulder problems lol.
  • Elise4270
    @emmab0902 Ease into the mileage, take cut back weeks, foam roll and stretch. Maybe yoga and massages as needed.

Be patient with the miles. Good luck!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited October 2016

I track my shoes in strava. Just enter all your new shoes and every time a run is uploaded into strava, you have the option to edit it and it is there you associate the shoe you wore for that run.

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216918727-Adding-Gear-to-your-activities-on-Strava

In this video, if you go to 2:15 (the guy never talks about assigning or editing the shoe for the workout), but if you notice on the bottom right hand column (to the left of the little map) his default shoe looks like a Newton Elite Carson. It's a drop down menu, so you can change the shoe (as long as you added it to your list of equipment). The phone app works in the same way. You can go back into your strava settings and see the list of equipment and see how many miles are on each shoe. Also notice the link below the shoe (Add New Shoes). This is one way to get to the page to edit and add new shoes to your equipment list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcjIzCAFgrg
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited October 2016
    I use Garmin to track my shoes, but that's mainly because it's what I started using.....that and, because Strava uses a default shoe option, I often forget to switch to the correct shoe!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited October 2016
    Got in 8 miles this afternoon at an 8:50 pace as I wanted to do more hotter mid-day running for my ironman prep as I'll be running from 2PM-5PM at my race. Still, now that the forecast is getting clearer (high of 78 - yay!), running in today's 85 degree weather might have been overkill, and doing it at that pace has been keeping my left quad from getting back to 100% despite taking a rest day yesterday. With the race 8 days out, I'll start cutting back in the next few days, and although I'm definitly in good enough shape to manage 26.2 miles at my planned slow 8:15 pace, I should be fine by raceday.

10/1 - 5 miles (w. 5x800s @ 6:00 pace)
    10/2 - 8 miles (finished at MP)
    10/3 - 4 miles
    10/4 - 4 miles
    10/5 - 4 mile
    10/8 - 3 miles
    10/9 - 26.2 miles (3:04:57 - Chicago marathon, 7:03 pace)
    10/13 - 4 miles
    10/15 - 6 miles
    10/17 - 12 miles
    10/18 - 5 miles
    10/20 - 8 miles
    10/21 - 6 miles
    10/22 - 15 miles
    10/23 - 6 miles
    10/25 - 4 miles
    10/26 - 6 miles
    10/28 - 8 miles

Total: 134 miles
    Goal: 140 miles
    Remaining: 6 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25 - 4:43:56
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9 - 3:04:57
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
    Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas 10K - Nov 13

@lporter229 - Took the slow/easy (mostly 10+ min/mile) approach w. lots of consistent 50 mpw for my May Pittsburgh marathon using just one speedwork day/week and ran a 3:08. Increased the speedwork to twice/week but also built up lots of useless biking muscle in my legs for Chicago and did a 3:05 w. similar mileage on a much flatter course. I'm likely going to go back to a mostly LSD approach for my next marathon, and I think you'll do fine with it for your plan.

@RunRachelRunnn - Most pairs of mine are good for 400 or so miles, but my flats/trainers (lighter profile, less cushioning) usually only get me 200 (so I only use them for races & shorter speedwork sessions). Luckily I've only been paying about $45/pair for them vs. $80-$90 for my heavier weight models (usually Nimbus/Cumulus). I've taken some risks on mid-profile less cushy models (zoot solana, asics noosa) and ones that promote mid-foot strikes (go-run), but keep coming back to my traditional 8-10mm drop neutral shoes (as I have a neutral mid-food stride).

@louubelle16 - For replacement, I'll either go by tread, or if my knees feel flat/sore after a 10+ mile run, I know I need to move shoes out of rotation. Either that, or an awesome sale comes up and I run out of spaces on my shoe rack, so I'll toss/donate either the most worn pair, or a pair I've stopped running in due to comfort. At 150-200 miles/month I'm usually snagging a pair every other month or so.