Improving flexibility for squats

Options
2»

Replies

• subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Ha! It's that fat *kitten* I am trying to lose!
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    *down vote* A fat *kitten* is a wonderful thing in my world.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    To both of the posters who posted photos I'd suggest checking out mobilityWOD.com and searching "squat depth" and "ankle mobility." Ankles and hips are probably your limiting factors right now. Consistent work will loosen themy up and help you get deeper. Also just sitting in a squat (use the rack to hold onto if necessary) with your chest up will force your hips to loosen up. Good luck
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yoga! Specifically the "pigeon" pose, I try to hold that for a few minutes every few days..
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    knees out seems to help me
    subakwa wrote: »
    Following with interest as this is where I get "bottomed out" to. Can't seem to break this.

'knees out' seems to help me more than 'bum back' at that point. when i get too horizontal my lower back starts to talk back at me.

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Just remember: Get all the information and advice you can. Maybe even get some coaching. But it usually just takes practice and time too. The squat seems so simple. It is a simple movement. But it is not exactly easy, not when you have weight on your shoulders. Be patient with yourself. You'll get stronger. You'll get better. You'll get deeper with time.
    (That warm-up squat, mentioned previously, without weight, is particularly helpful, I think. Put a medicine ball under your butt and squat to it. You'll be loosening your hips and ankles, the problem areas usually, and training your body to go deep.)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    jolive7 wrote: »
    Yoga! Specifically the "pigeon" pose, I try to hold that for a few minutes every few days..

I've had a lot of success opening my hips using the butterfly pose and lowering my head down to my feet.

I'm another one who's had a lot of trouble with squat depth. I always thought my biggest problem was ankle mobility, I never realized how tight my hips were until I started opening them up doing butterfly because they were tight from running. It was a game changer for me.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    jolive7 wrote: »

I've had a lot of success opening my hips using the butterfly pose and lowering my head down to my feet.

I'm another one who's had a lot of trouble with squat depth. I always thought my biggest problem was ankle mobility, I never realized how tight my hips were until I started opening them up doing butterfly because they were tight from running. It was a game changer for me.

tough poses to hold but so worth it!!
  • Pathman1
    Pathman1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    d5i4yqwiw7un.jpg

Brief update. I've been stretching 5 days a week and doing a better warmup before squats and I finally barely broke parallel this morning. I had a friend shoot a video and it definitely shows I'm down there. I am going to stick with the light weights for a couple more weeks to work on more flexibility and my form then continue on the 5X5 program. :-)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    wow, a huge change. that looks great (i creep people's squats).

i just had this lightbulb that it completely changes my squat form if i release my knees and pre-commit a little of my weight to my outer hamstrings before i break at the hips. totally different feel, and all the room in the world for my hips to get 'through' at that sticky buttwinking point.