WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2016

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Someone spoke wisely on living in the present and not just thinking about the next big thing you wish was happening. I am gonna try it today, with food, with work, with health and with social part of my day. NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,193 Member
    KateUK - Good going on not letting one not so good day derail you. Well done on the kettlebell. I have given up on mine for the time being as my knee doesn't seem to like it. I'm going to try strapping it when my motivation returns. For the moment I'm sticking with my dumbbells.

DH's new mattress is coming this afternoon. The company is taking away the old one for £20. We have stripped the beds and will move it downstairs after lunch. We have a zip and link superking bed, but he chose a softer mattress for his side and it has badly sagged. I gave him some money towards a new, super fancy one for his birthday present. It has very good reviews. However, it comes in a box and has to unspring, settle and air for a while, so he may be in the spare room tonight, or I may be, more likely, while he sleeps on my side of the bed. We unzipped the mattresses last year and found we got a better night's sleep. I bought new mattress covers and I've changed all the pillow undercovers as well, but I feel that there are new pillows in our near future. They are a bit yucky! Such a costly item, though. :sad:

Last night as I was going to bed I got the decluttering urge and found three handbags to throw away. :D Lovely! Another visit to the dump today. The back of the car is full.
    Didn't sleep well though. Only four hours sleep. Thank goodness I am loving my microbes book. Both the books I chose for my birthday present were on the radio this morning. The other one is about DNA. :love:

Liz - I am sending every good wish for your operation and successful recovery. :flowerforyou:

Love Heather, cleaning and sorting in the UK. :D
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,683 Member
    good morning~
    I slept from 7-2 and then fell back asleep from 4-6:15, needed it after this weekend...
    back at it this morning,,, going to call the hospice this morning... and working 9-5 today...Because I love Ray and Ruth I am trying to plan a memorial for him.... but think if doing it on Thanksgiving weekend when we have the time off..
    brought Ruth some of her cherished photo's and a pen and ink that Ray did of the house for her to hang there... she still is determined to get into the house, but will let her fight with the lawyer over that..
    there are photo albums that Ruth wants will call the next door neighbor and ask him to get them and give them to lawyer to take over to her when she goes this week..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,520 Member
    happy bday 2seven!!!!

morning peeps
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Toni - happy birthday!

DJ - I took it the right way - this place, with y'all, is the safe place to dream, so that facet of my personality is probably foremost. My 90-mile-hour mind slows down and allows itself to think of future things here, and actually say them, something that's not possible in a small town where everyone knows me, or knows of me, and knows my boss. My DH and I need goals, and that future is uppermost in our minds now... but we do live in the moment much more than it seems in the things I say here.

Liz - I hope that you get some answers today, and that they are very good ones. Best of luck on your surgery, and hope for quick, painless, and optimistic results.

It's Monday again. They do keep coming around, don't they?

Much love,
    Lisa in West Texas... and back in the high 80s again today...
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,045 Member
    Liz prayers!

Barbie love the saying on forgiveness.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Good morning all! Happy Monday! I had a weekend where I got a lot done and it feels really great. Got the front and back lawn mowed, got the gutters cleaned, ash cleaned out of the fire pit, hose put away, outside faucets drained and covered, bathrooms, kitchen and floors cleaned, couch covers removed and cleaned, food prepped for the week (fruits/veggies washed and prepped for eating/cooking), four pounds of chicken cooked and shredded to add to meals, chicken noodle soup made, grocery shopping and errands ran...it was a good weekend! LOL! I haven't been able to sustain the kind of energy to do these things in about a month; so yes! I am very pleased with that!
    Liz- keeping you in thoughts and prayers. Surgery will go fine and you will find answers. <3
    Toni- Happy birthday! Hope you spent it with people you love!
    Kim- The summer I Dared sounds like something I would like to read! I think something happens to all of us around 40-50 yrs of age. You find your inner strength, your courage. I love stories about that.
    Becca- When I was first married, I used to move my furniture all of the time. My mother did it often. Now, because I do daycare, my furniture is placed against the walls so that I have a large open space in the middle of the room. I hate it, but it's functional for the kids. I saw an article about the 10 things that home decorators will notice immediately and want to correct. I think my living room has all 10 "blunders". LOL! Oh well, my house will look better when I retire from daycare!
    Heather- Okay. I have heard so many of the ladies talking about your Hairy Bikers recipes; I think it's time I look into them. Congrats on the new coat! I can see it in my mind! Very sharp!

Looks to be a fun week with the kids, this week before Halloween. Lots of good crafts, snacks, and a party on Friday! ttyl lovely ladies! Have a wonderful Monday!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Liz ~ Good thoughts and prayers for healing!

Toni ~ Happy Birthday! happy-birthday-smiley-emoticon.gif

We are going shopping for new office chairs today! The ones we have are falling apart and hurting our back. Mine goes way down to the floor and that's not good with me being so short. Wish us luck!
  • Peach1948
    Alison ~ The care and love you are giving Ray and Ruth is so kind! I sure wish I was able to see my mom more often. I think last week's visit made me realize how much I will miss her when she passes. Last night I dreamed that I wanted to talk to her on the phone like I used to and cried when I realized there was no way in her present state of mind.

KJL ~ You are one busy lady. I am envious of all you are able to accomplish and just wish I had the energy I used to have.

Carol
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Hi ladies

Here's a brief video showing the result of landslide I wrote about a while ago. They say some parts of the slope were buried 15 feet deep. http://svalbardposten.no/nyheter/apner-ikke-mandag/visvideo/124/19.1.7705

I JOG on that road, dang it! This is just one of more than two dozen mudslides/landslides/rockslides we've had in and around town in the past couple weeks. Please, please, please, let it stop raining and get cold so the ground can freeze and stabilize.

I forget whether I mentioned this or not, but my teaching partner is totally incapacitated by depression after hip surgery. I'm having to do twice as much work as usual with our two ongoing courses. I cancelled another one today - a part-time evening course. No way I can handle that one as well!

/Penny, heading back to the salt mine near the North Pole
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Prayers for those in need. Don't have wifi access here so all I have is the phone & it isn't easy to join in.

DD & baby are coming home today.

Katla in Mokena, IL
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Good morning to all! It's another beautiful fall morning. Perfect walking weather. Our foliage can be so gorgeous in the fall, but not this year--not sure why... Everything is just sort of drying up. But the weather has turned lovely.

Last night we had friends for dinner. I cooked a rolled turkey breast. It tasted great, but I mistimed it terribly, so dinner was late. Ouch! I haven't done that in a very long time. But our friends were, as always gracious. I also made a bulgurwheat, roasted sweet potato, onion, date and cranberry pilaf. It was excellent--and easy. Yesterday afternoon DH and I took the dogs for a 4 mile walk through the woods to tire them out because one couple has a toddler, and we didn't want our girl to be bouncing off the walls around him. She's got a lovely temperament, but she's 45 lbs and part pit bull. Very muscular, very strong, very energetic.. She can be a little overwhelming to a 24 lb toddler. All was good.

Glo, such a drag about your Facebook account. I use a password vault--it helps me feel more secure, but the sheer number of passwords I have to record is amazing!

Barbie, Congratulations on all those steps! I know it's not as many as you used to do, but I'm so impressed that you're healing this fast.

and Marcelyn, you Rockstar you! It's so satisfying to heal well. Congratulations. And I agree with the others, your grandchildren are gorgeous. And so many!

As usual, as soon as I complain to you all the time I'm on a plateau then I slip off it. I'm about 27 lbs down from my average weight over the past 3-4 years. About 37 lbs from this past winter's average before my surgery. But the best of all is that I can move so much more easily. Such a relief.

KarenE
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Happy Monday friends. Had a great weekend and caught a big fish in My son's pond.
    Barbie - you are doing so well with your walking. Makes me ashamed when I barely get 5000 steps lol.
    Liz- sending best wishes for your surgery and recovery.
    Toni- Happy Birthday!!!
    KJL - wow, you did more in one weekend than Ido in a week or maybe a month.
    Karen- nothing like a long walk in the woods. Congrats on your weight loss. You are awesome.
    Better get on with my chores. May dig up my Irises this morning and separate them. Such a big job.

SueBDew in TX
  • Peach1948
    Pip ~ Good thoughts for you and mom.
  • heidihurl
    heidihurl Posts: 139 Member
    Hello All,
    I am new to this group and would love to join in. Hopefully this thread/group of motivated 50+ers will start again in November!!?? I am turning 59 in 3 days and hope to have a fantastic year until 60.
    Then, I will have to find another group. Ha!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,193 Member
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Our property went on Rightmove and then the estate agent company name change went through as planned and it now says it has been removed from the market. :sad: I have emailed them. Hope it's sorted soon.
    We were sent details of a house in Hove which we loved, but it's out of our price bracket. I'm hoping it will come down in price. ;)
    Spent some time sorting through a box of old cards, emails etc. I managed to throw a shoe box and about twenty cards away. Not doing too well at purging the emotional stuff. :* It could be my novelist mind that sees everything as material. I'm going to have another go at it. Some things are weird, like my grandfather's shorthand certificates from 1923. I find it all so poignant.

DH trimmed the hedge and took another load to the dump. He picked and cooked the last of the pears.
    Still waiting for the mattress to arrive.

Pip - Sending good thoughts your mum's way. <3

Penny - Thanks for the video. You must be one of the few people who are hoping for freezing temperatures. :o

Love Heather UK
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    It's an oatmeal and hot chocolate (coffee for me) kind of morning. Parent/teacher conferences this week so boys are our early all week. I could be doing other things that need to be done but am going to snuggle up with my book under my covers for a little while.

Gloria in WA <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    <3