Why am I stuck at a certain weight? Can't seem to gain past it?

2»

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    OP, the calculators can only estimate based on averages. They are a starting point, not a rule. Your body is telling you what it needs and that over rules any calculator. If you open your diary we can give you suggestions on how to tweak what you're already eating to get a few more calories more easily.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    This happened before, I gained up to 98lbs and that was it. Just couldn't break past 100lbs. Then a bunch of stuff happened and I lost a bunch again but now I'm back trying to gain, eating 2200 or so cal per day, got to 98 and am stuck. Do I have to keep upping my calories as I gain?

OP, you need to eat way more calories than 2200. Google TDEE calculator online and figure out your estimated TDEE, this is the amount of calories needed for YOU to MAINTAIN weight. Then you add 250 to that until you're gaining weight at the rate you want. I recommend gaining 0.5 lbs per week so I would weigh yourself every 2 weeks and see if it goes up about a pound, if it's more than you might be gaining too quickly and risk getting fat. Also, I'm assuming by gaining weight you want to gain muscle and not fat, so you also need to make sure you're doing a good lifting routine, there are lots of different routines, bodybuilding.com has a lot of good ones, but always stick with the basics and strive to do more weight, more reps, every week. That with adding your calories (eating healthy calories) will get you to your goal? If you have any other questions or need any other help feel free to message me and I"ll help you out the best I can.

Why would someone use a calculator if they are already tracking calories? If they arent gaining on 2200, we know their maintenance...Now this is pending its been more than a week or two. But after that, calories should be increased by 10%.

And i would assume if the OP wants muscle they should know there is a need to lift. But it could be possible that they might just need weight gain.

To answer your question because MFP doesn't always have the same calories or accurate calories for your goals. This is coming from my own experience. He might have a TDEE that's different using different parameters. The one TDEE I used had a different amount of calories because it utilized more data that this one, but hey that's up to him.

That doesn't really answer the question. If someone has actual data (calories tracked over time - quantifiable data), then why go run a calculator? If i took your advice, it would estimate a tdee lower than my actual data is presenting by as much as 300 calories.

The OP should collect data for another 2 weeks and then adjust. If she doesnt gain then her average tdee is 2200 calories regardless of what a calculator tells her.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    This happened before, I gained up to 98lbs and that was it. Just couldn't break past 100lbs. Then a bunch of stuff happened and I lost a bunch again but now I'm back trying to gain, eating 2200 or so cal per day, got to 98 and am stuck. Do I have to keep upping my calories as I gain?

OP, you need to eat way more calories than 2200. Google TDEE calculator online and figure out your estimated TDEE, this is the amount of calories needed for YOU to MAINTAIN weight. Then you add 250 to that until you're gaining weight at the rate you want. I recommend gaining 0.5 lbs per week so I would weigh yourself every 2 weeks and see if it goes up about a pound, if it's more than you might be gaining too quickly and risk getting fat. Also, I'm assuming by gaining weight you want to gain muscle and not fat, so you also need to make sure you're doing a good lifting routine, there are lots of different routines, bodybuilding.com has a lot of good ones, but always stick with the basics and strive to do more weight, more reps, every week. That with adding your calories (eating healthy calories) will get you to your goal? If you have any other questions or need any other help feel free to message me and I"ll help you out the best I can.

Why would someone use a calculator if they are already tracking calories? If they arent gaining on 2200, we know their maintenance...Now this is pending its been more than a week or two. But after that, calories should be increased by 10%.

And i would assume if the OP wants muscle they should know there is a need to lift. But it could be possible that they might just need weight gain.

To answer your question because MFP doesn't always have the same calories or accurate calories for your goals. This is coming from my own experience. He might have a TDEE that's different using different parameters. The one TDEE I used had a different amount of calories because it utilized more data that this one, but hey that's up to him.

That doesn't really answer the question. If someone has actual data (calories tracked over time - quantifiable data), then why go run a calculator? If i took your advice, it would estimate a tdee lower than my actual data is presenting by as much as 300 calories.

The OP should collect data for another 2 weeks and then adjust. If she doesnt gain then her average tdee is 2200 calories regardless of what a calculator tells her.

okay I'm not going to sit here and argue with you. I'm just trying to give some helpful suggestions, but I'm not expert. I'm just talking from personal experience and what I've done to help MYSELF. Okay if you don't think those are good ideas that's fine and great, but don't sit here and try to argue with me, we're all here to help each other out.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator

okay I'm not going to sit here and argue with you. I'm just trying to give some helpful suggestions, but I'm not expert. I'm just talking from personal experience and what I've done to help MYSELF. Okay if you don't think those are good ideas that's fine and great, but don't sit here and try to argue with me, we're all here to help each other out.

Not argue. Trying to understand the reasoning. When actuals are available its much more of a realible source of information than statistical estimates.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member

Not argue. Trying to understand the reasoning. When actuals are available its much more of a realible source of information than statistical estimates.

Okay sounds good and I agree with you about that too.