Don't deprive yourself or you'll never last the distance!

12346»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    That moment when self control and deliberate eating amounts to deprivation.

cc8v0.jpg

so in now...esp because of this post.

I know right? Cutting out cookies, soda pop, and pizza is now "deprivation". Lolz. 'Merica!
    Obviously they're not something anyone can't leave without, but we're talking about finding something sustainable for everyone... I might not NEED cookies but if I lived somewhere where you can't have them, you bet that I'd end up missing them. So yeah, for me not eating them would probably lead to deprivation (and that's when I'd end up binging).

Couldn't care less about soda though and I'm now extremely picky about my pizza.

Deprivation is in the eye of the beholder. I tend to think Carlos is right in his assessment - self control and deliberate eating (whether that comes in the form of eliminating certain foods or just limiting calories overall) is not really "deprivation" in the truest sense (you aren't being deprived of anything necessary for life). Now, *feeling* deprived is totally subjective. You would feel deprived if you went long enough without cookies, so much so you would end up binging, but working some in, even if it is a small portion, and even if it crowds out other more filling foods, keeps you from feeling deprived. I'm just the opposite - I would feel deprived with the one or two cookies I might be able to work in, especially when they edge out other more satiating foods and leave me hungry, but if I don't have them at all, I'm perfectly fine and don't miss them. Different strokes.

But his point still stands - calling going without excess "deprivation" is silly. Going without excess is just normal. The excess is what causes the need for "deprivation" in the first place. If we would have just ate what we needed, and no more, all along, there would be no need to "deprive".

Going without excess isn't what's needed for fat loss. We must go without enough to maintain before fat stores will be used. We must deprive our bodies of food fuel.

True. I guess my point was, if we hadn't been overindulging (excess), we wouldn't need to deprive. In terms of the "long haul" (what the OP was about), no, deprivation isn't necessary, so long as you never went to excess in the first place. Deprivation in the context of weight loss is simply paying the piper, so to speak. Overeating, getting fat, then whining about "deprivation" (when it's time to pay the piper and lose the weight), is a first world problem. That said, we do all have to 'pick our deprivation' and decide what is easier for us to go without.

Agreed, I said something similar earlier in the thread.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Well, I did spin, yoga and went for an hour long walk tonight...I'm having some wine with my Grey's anatomy ;)