How did you decide upon your goal weight?

13»

Replies

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited October 2016
    This is the lowest I've been since the late 1980s. I've gone from a 44 inch waist (257 lb) to under 36 (185 lb), and when I can wear 34 inch pants I'm done. I suspect this will be another 10-15 lbs (around 170). So I'm gauging more by current and past clothing size than actual poundage.

170 will BTW be right in the "normal" range for my height/age/frame.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    The number 125 is honestly just a weight of some girl my height that I thought looked amazing. But that's her body and not mine so currently looking for 135 bc that was what I weighed at 18 and felt comfortable in my skin there. I'm 5'3 with an uncertain frame. I took the wrist and elbow test and wrists said "medium" and elbow said "broad".
  • karl317
    karl317 Posts: 87 Member
    edited October 2016
    I picked the very middle of my "Normal" BMI range - which for a 6'3" person is around 180lb. I overshot it by like 5lb and I look a little on the thin side, but it's fine. Everyone's just used to seeing me fat.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    I never thought I was capable of lowering my weight to where I am now 123-125 depending on the day. I assumed I was just "large." So I started around ~195 at my absolute largest, lost about 30lbs without tracking and just living life. I hovered in the 160s for a few years without tracking then discovered MFP and started actively working at it. Once I hit my stride I aimed for 130 never believing that was a possibility for my body. Once I hit 130 I just kept plugging along and when I got to my current weight I took a look at myself and weighed the pros and cons of having more bones sticking out to bump into things (ick) and buying smaller clothes (again--double ick.) So I decided it was time to move to maintenance. Pretty much trial and error like everyone here has said, listen to your body (and your wallet, clothes are expensive.)
  • boromirdoesnot
    boromirdoesnot Posts: 3 Member
    I took my healthy BMI and allowed for a 15 pound overage based on the fact that I am a large build person with a good deal of muscle mass....yeah, that's about all the science I used.