Anyone new to power-lifting? Looking for fitness friends to chat with!

13»

Replies

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I competed in my 1st competition in August. I won my weight class (only female in my weight class!). You can add me.

Congrats @deputy_Randolph on your competition! How did you like it? Are you planning on competing again?

First one has to be the most stressful, right? Next one is in February!

My first is in January and I'm already nervous about messing up the bench commands.

I practiced the commands for squat and deadlift, but not bench; bench is my weakest lift, so I went into it with an "I don't care attitude." The day of the meet I regretted not practicing bench. I started to stress about bench during squats, which helped to screw up my last squat. Bench went perfectly though. If you have someone to practice with for a couple of weeks, that'll help the nerves.

The meet I'm doing is for beginners only and is just push/pull so I feel much better about it without having to worry about squats, but now bench has me worried. It's my weakest lift by far and I'm just hoping I don't bomb out because of the commands. Only one of the trainers in my gym has any experience with powerlifting (all the others are bodybuilders). However he has a lot of personal training clients and is always busy when I go to lift so he can't spot me on bench and I lift alone.

For deadlift, is there only one command to put down the bar once you're locked out?

On DL, they tell you that you're up. You lift when you're ready; the judge in front drops hand when you've locked out. Wonder if you could get a gym regular to help with bench commands. My husband gave me commands for bench a couple of times...he took forever with the press command. Competition went much faster.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2016
    I competed in my 1st competition in August. I won my weight class (only female in my weight class!). You can add me.

Congrats @deputy_Randolph on your competition! How did you like it? Are you planning on competing again?

My first is in January and I'm already nervous about messing up the bench commands.

I practiced the commands for squat and deadlift, but not bench; bench is my weakest lift, so I went into it with an "I don't care attitude." The day of the meet I regretted not practicing bench. I started to stress about bench during squats, which helped to screw up my last squat. Bench went perfectly though. If you have someone to practice with for a couple of weeks, that'll help the nerves.

The meet I'm doing is for beginners only and is just push/pull so I feel much better about it without having to worry about squats, but now bench has me worried. It's my weakest lift by far and I'm just hoping I don't bomb out because of the commands. Only one of the trainers in my gym has any experience with powerlifting (all the others are bodybuilders). However he has a lot of personal training clients and is always busy when I go to lift so he can't spot me on bench and I lift alone.

For deadlift, is there only one command to put down the bar once you're locked out?

If you are worried about bombing a lift just make sure your second lift is doable, if you miss your first, before going to your third. It's about experience so set your lifts a little low for this one just so you get through it.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member

On DL, they tell you that you're up. You lift when you're ready; the judge in front drops hand when you've locked out. Wonder if you could get a gym regular to help with bench commands. My husband gave me commands for bench a couple of times...he took forever with the press command. Competition went much faster.

I have only met one competitive powerlifter at my gym (YMCA) and I used to see him there a few times a week. He kept telling me to sign up for a meet and when I finally did, he disappeared from the gym and I haven't seen him since. I even asked the trainers if they saw him lifting at different times of the day, but no one has seen him in over a month. It would have been great to learn from him.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member

I have only met one competitive powerlifter at my gym (YMCA) and I used to see him there a few times a week. He kept telling me to sign up for a meet and when I finally did, he disappeared from the gym and I haven't seen him since. I even asked the trainers if they saw him lifting at different times of the day, but no one has seen him in over a month. It would have been great to learn from him.

I'll tell you that the biggest mistake I 've made was benching by myself though. I put up 100lbs at the comp. PRed at the gym in Sept at 105lbs. I started with a coach a few weeks ago...benching 90lbs for 3x8. If you do the comp, like it, and want to keep going with it; I would def recommend getting a coach for (at least) bench. How tall are you? I'm 5'3 and was having a hard time getting under the bar correctly. My arms were fully extended. The coach gives me a lift off, which is saving my shoulders.
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    I don't power life but I do lift weights almost everyday. I love it. I send you a friend request if you don't mind.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member

I'll tell you that the biggest mistake I 've made was benching by myself though. I put up 100lbs at the comp. PRed at the gym in Sept at 105lbs. I started with a coach a few weeks ago...benching 90lbs for 3x8. If you do the comp, like it, and want to keep going with it; I would def recommend getting a coach for (at least) bench. How tall are you? I'm 5'3 and was having a hard time getting under the bar correctly. My arms were fully extended. The coach gives me a lift off, which is saving my shoulders.

I'm 5'11" with long arms and I usually bench in a power rack (more for safety reasons since I lift alone) so I can adjust the bar hooks for a comfortable set up. I don't have much of an arch, but I have been working on improving that and incorporating more leg drive in my bench. Having a coach would be great, but I just can't afford it now.
  • bananajogurt
    bananajogurt Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2017
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm new to powerlifting and am looking for friends/support. I've been lifting since January and am trying to lose about 30lbs. (Or lose fat/gain muscle...)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm new to powerlifting and am looking for friends/support. I've been lifting since January and am trying to lose about 30lbs. (Or lose fat/gain muscle...)

Awesome! I'm sure you'll find powerlifting to be a quite enjoyable and supportive sport.
  • 19crozza89
    19crozza89 Posts: 1 Member
    I've signed up to my first Power-lifting competition in September as a goal to help me focus with my food and nutrition. I really struggle with binge eating disorder. My coach has told me i have to lose 19kg by the competition otherwise i'm not allowed to compete. Needless to say this has given me a lot of motivation to concentrate on my food. I get my power-lifting programme on Friday. I can't wait to get started.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    19crozza89 wrote: »
    I've signed up to my first Power-lifting competition in September as a goal to help me focus with my food and nutrition. I really struggle with binge eating disorder. My coach has told me i have to lose 19kg by the competition otherwise i'm not allowed to compete. Needless to say this has given me a lot of motivation to concentrate on my food. I get my power-lifting programme on Friday. I can't wait to get started.

The bolded part taken together has me quite concerned. Are you seeking help for binge eating disorder and if so, does your therapist know that you have a coach giving you body-weight related ultimatums? Does your coach know about your eating history?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    grob49 wrote: »

Practise practise practise. Find someone willing to stand there and give you the commands. Waiting for a press command is different than just a simple pause.

That's the truth. No bounce off the chest. Make sure the bar does hit the chest too. Make sure your your squat hit parallel. Rich Peters with NASA told me once he looks at the toes if they are pointed straight ahead he will red light you because there is no way to hit parallel if they are. Don't rest the bar to low on your shoulders for squats. I got red lighted for that.

that makes me angry.

I can't squat to parallel with my toes totally forward. It's almost impossible for me to get anywhere near parallel with toes forward.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Not knew to powerlifting or Olympic lift did place 2nd in a national meet just like lifting been in a rut lately