why does sugar make us fat

Options

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Another reason sugar causes fat is because people act like its a another food group...everything that is in the aisles of our grocery stores has more sugar than the most food in the perimeter of our grocery stores. They go into denial when they cannot have their mocha frappacino at Starbucks or when their cracker tastes bland. My tastebuds have been set back to "normal." My family, however, are in revolt to my new standards of seasoning in foods.

I've been maintaining a 50lb weight loss for several years now and have improved all my health markers. Through all of this my taste buds have not 'reset' and I still eat the same foods I ate when I was overweight. The difference is I learned how CICO works and figured out how many calories I needed to meet my goals. I still eat the same foods I like, I still grocery shop the same way, I still enjoy meals out at restaurants several times a week, and my family still enjoys the foods that they like (none of them are overweight either). By not making drastic changes, and instead focusing on what's actually sustainable for me to do long term, has made me one of the very few people out there who are successfully maintaining.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Another reason sugar causes fat is because people act like its a another food group...everything that is in the aisles of our grocery stores has more sugar than the most food in the perimeter of our grocery stores.

Among many no sugar items in the aisles are oatmeal, pasta, canned beans. Among high sugar items in the perimeter are fruit, dairy. Also (as WinoGelato notes) in my grocery store the bakery is on the perimeter, so also donuts. I never buy bakery items at the grocery store (fairly or not I assume they won't be that great), but they are there.
    They go into denial when they cannot have their mocha frappacino at Starbucks or when their cracker tastes bland.

Who is "they"? I have never, not ever liked sweetened coffee or enjoyed a mocha frappacino. Starbucks isn't my preferred coffee vendor, but when I go there I get black coffee or an Americano. I also don't much like crackers, but the ones I'd choose are not sweet at all (I like those wine cracker that are supposed to wipe your palate, and I don't mind a Saltine, and I guess I used to eat Goldfish -- crackers aren't something I'd spend calories on normally, though.

Oh, and this was all before I did a no added sugar thing, and I also enjoyed vegetables. You seem to have created an imaginary world where no one who eats added sugar in any quantity also likes less sweet foods, but this has never been my experience and it also sounds really weird to me. If you couldn't enjoy non sweet foods, you did something extreme to your palate, maybe, but most people have no issues at all with them (and plenty of Americans like bland food, IMO -- I actually think we'd be better off with more use of varied herbs and spices, but I'm kind of a foodie type, so I would).
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Im not sure if it's bad form to not read the whole thread, I read some but.. 13 pages ?!... so I apologize if someone said this better, but I believe that the reason people will find "sugar making them fat" is not the sugary item itself per se, but that when you eat something with sugar that isn't coupled with enough fiber to slow down it's absorption, it will make your blood sugar spike, which makes insulin release to bring it down, which ends up in a rebound where the level goes low and therefore youre hungry again, in a reasonably short space of time- so you eat again (and again) thereby eating too many calories. We have to have a form of sugar to survive, so if it goes too low, our bodies will get very hungry as a survival mechanism.
    If you eat enough fiber with it, the sugar wont be absorbed as quickly, so the sugar level will gently rise, and gently fall over a longer period of time- so you won't have this sudden rush of "I've got to eat NOW" shortly that is what "makes you fat". Experts will talk about glycemic load and other such big words, but really it just means dont eat something that is (or quickly breaks down into, like white bread) high in simple sugars without some fiber to slow it down. Eat an apple(or other fruit), not apple(or whatever) juice, eat bread with whole grain with the jelly, and so forth. :smile:
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    It doesn't. Based on the MFP principle of Calories In and Calories Out, the lack of a Calorie Deficit is what makes you fat. Less food and more exercise is the solution. It isn't specifically sugar causing the trouble.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    serapel wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    serapel wrote: »
    ok so I've tried a lil experiment on myself a number of times.

I will eat the same cals = 2100

One week with high protein, low carbs...I will be about 1 lb lighter and not hungry at night

One week high carbs and sugar (chocolate for lunch yum)...I will be about 2 lbs heavier and very hungry at night.

Why would this be if I'm eating the same amount of calories?

One week isn't enough data to conclude anything at all. Beyond that, if you're lower carb you are going to hold onto less water and deplete glycogen...increase carbs and you're going to hold onto more water and replenish glycogen..those things have mass and thus weight...

If carbs hindered or caused weight gain, every vegetarian and vegan on the planet would be obese. You can also look at populations like Japan who have one of the lowest if not the lowest obesity rates...high carb diet.

I eat a substantially plant based diet which means I eat a lot of carbs...lots of beans and lentils and potatoes and sweet potatoes and rice and pasta, etc...I do just fine with satiety...

In your post, you're primarily looking at carbs as "junk"...who the frack has chocolate for lunch? That's not lunch, that's a snack treat. I don't know anyone who would be satiated just eating chocolate for lunch...there are numerous sources of highly nutritious carbohydrates...this crap gets really old...

Whatev

Whatev what? Yeah...you're going to be hungry if all you have is chocolate for lunch...your "experiment" is inherently flawed...like big time.

You took my comments out of context. I eat about every two hours the same amt of calories swapping sugar for protein. My comments are very valid.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    So did you all come up with an answer? I see why some people are so lost and confused on losing weight with all the theories floating around.... This thread is all over the place. From fat, to carbs, to sweets,etc., being the culprit. The truth is, we are fat because of lack of discipline and commitment, among a few other things. We blame everything and everyone else...we need to take responsibility.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    So did you all come up with an answer? I see why some people are so lost and confused on losing weight with all the theories floating around.... This thread is all over the place. From fat, to carbs, to sweets,etc., being the culprit. The truth is, we are fat because of lack of discipline and commitment, among a few other things. We blame everything and everyone else...we need to take responsibility.

Essentially, calories makes us fat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

typical for MFP and the weight loss industry as a whole. Over complicate everything so that people think they need to buy books, supplements, etc, when in reality they just need to exercise more, monitor their intake, and make sure that they are getting proper nutrition. But it is hard to write a book that says eat less, exercise more, and get nutrition, because that would be a five page book and would not make money ..

it is only when you demonize things like sugar, that one can then make up complicated solutions to sell stuff...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

There is only one correct answer: People are overweight/obese because of consuming more calories than they burn. There are many factors which may lead to this including your suggestion of lack of discipline/commitment, but also because of other reasons: injury/illness/loss of motivation/lack of awareness of how many calories they need/change in life situation/just don't care/etc.

There are so many myths propagated by clickbait articles, social media, diet gurus trying to make a buck, blogs, etc; so I agree with you that it is easy for people to get confused. What it takes to lose weight is simple (CI<CO) but it isn't easy, and people want to have something to blame for their challenges in maintaining a healthy weight. Sugar is the scapegoat du jour. I agree with you that personal accountability is critical, not looking for a food/macro to demonize and blame for our situation.

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I was fat because I didn't know how CICO worked. After I learned that I lost the extra weight and have been maintaining for a few years now. I still eat the same foods I did when I was overweight though-the difference is now I eat them in the correct amount of calories for my weight goals. I don't see myself as super disciplined though or anything, I'm just applying what I've learned and then move on with my day :)
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

typical for MFP and the weight loss industry as a whole. Over complicate everything so that people think they need to buy books, supplements, etc, when in reality they just need to exercise more, monitor their intake, and make sure that they are getting proper nutrition. But it is hard to write a book that says eat less, exercise more, and get nutrition, because that would be a five page book and would not make money ..

it is only when you demonize things like sugar, that one can then make up complicated solutions to sell stuff...

I totally agree!!!! I remember I actually didn't know how to lose weight. But now that I am educated, it's really simple to lose weight, it's "me" that make it hard because I have to undo some old programming and habits.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

I totally agree!!!! I remember I actually didn't know how to lose weight. But now that I am educated, it's really simple to lose weight, it's "me" that make it hard because I have to undo some old programming and habits.

Love the PP, burpees are scary enough without the flaming jack-o-lantern! ;)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Mindless eating, leads to caloric surplus, leads to weight gain...
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options

I was fat because I didn't know how CICO worked. After I learned that I lost the extra weight and have been maintaining for a few years now. I still eat the same foods I did when I was overweight though-the difference is now I eat them in the correct amount of calories for my weight goals. I don't see myself as super disciplined though or anything, I'm just applying what I've learned and then move on with my day :)

You are disciplined to the process and because of the commitment you saw results. That's what I am talking about. I didn't know how CICO worked either...but you were fat because you ate at a surplus.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Leads to the dark side.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options

Love the PP, burpees are scary enough without the flaming jack-o-lantern! ;)

LOL....I agree.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Leads to the dark side.

haha