Replies

• serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    serapel wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ok so I've tried a lil experiment on myself a number of times.

I will eat the same cals = 2100

One week with high protein, low carbs...I will be about 1 lb lighter and not hungry at night

One week high carbs and sugar (chocolate for lunch yum)...I will be about 2 lbs heavier and very hungry at night.

Why would this be if I'm eating the same amount of calories?

One week isn't enough data to conclude anything at all. Beyond that, if you're lower carb you are going to hold onto less water and deplete glycogen...increase carbs and you're going to hold onto more water and replenish glycogen..those things have mass and thus weight...

If carbs hindered or caused weight gain, every vegetarian and vegan on the planet would be obese. You can also look at populations like Japan who have one of the lowest if not the lowest obesity rates...high carb diet.

I eat a substantially plant based diet which means I eat a lot of carbs...lots of beans and lentils and potatoes and sweet potatoes and rice and pasta, etc...I do just fine with satiety...

In your post, you're primarily looking at carbs as "junk"...who the frack has chocolate for lunch? That's not lunch, that's a snack treat. I don't know anyone who would be satiated just eating chocolate for lunch...there are numerous sources of highly nutritious carbohydrates...this crap gets really old...

Whatev

Whatev what? Yeah...you're going to be hungry if all you have is chocolate for lunch...your "experiment" is inherently flawed...like big time.

You took my comments out of context. I eat about every two hours the same amt of calories swapping sugar for protein. My comments are very valid.

Eating a snackfood as a meal then wondering why it's not filling is not valid.
    Prescribing any importance to a 1 pound difference over one week when weight can fluctuate that much easily from one day to another due to water retention is not valid.

You are reinforcing that sugar is empty calories that don't satiate you, no? That's what I'm trying to convey.

and I know my own body better than you, so I do what's best for me and all I was stating is what doesn't work for me and that's a high sugar diet. I am hungrier and less satisfied.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    So did you all come up with an answer? I see why some people are so lost and confused on losing weight with all the theories floating around.... This thread is all over the place. From fat, to carbs, to sweets,etc., being the culprit. The truth is, we are fat because of lack of discipline and commitment, among a few other things. We blame everything and everyone else...we need to take responsibility.

Essentially, calories makes us fat.

PERFECT! I will stop eating calories then! Wait, how do I do that???
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    So did you all come up with an answer? I see why some people are so lost and confused on losing weight with all the theories floating around.... This thread is all over the place. From fat, to carbs, to sweets,etc., being the culprit. The truth is, we are fat because of lack of discipline and commitment, among a few other things. We blame everything and everyone else...we need to take responsibility.

You stop eating excess calories

You eat calories to fuel your body minus x amount ...the body still needs the "minus x amount" and will take it from your body

It's not complicated, why try to make it complicated?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

You determine where the excess calories are coming from that you are most comfortable cutting. For you, that may be from sources of added sugar. That doesn't mean that sugar is to blame for obesity. Others may cut calories in the form of just reducing portion sizes of all the same things they are already eating with no particular focus on a specific type of food or macro. Others may find success with other approaches - low fat, low carb, paleo, etc. Regardless of which method one chooses, it still comes down to an individual's calorie surplus being responsible for obesity, not one demonized ingredient, food, or group of foods.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

One week with high protein, low carbs...I will be about 1 lb lighter and not hungry at night

One week high carbs and sugar (chocolate for lunch yum)...I will be about 2 lbs heavier and very hungry at night.

One week isn't enough data to conclude anything at all. Beyond that, if you're lower carb you are going to hold onto less water and deplete glycogen...increase carbs and you're going to hold onto more water and replenish glycogen..those things have mass and thus weight...

If carbs hindered or caused weight gain, every vegetarian and vegan on the planet would be obese. You can also look at populations like Japan who have one of the lowest if not the lowest obesity rates...high carb diet.

I eat a substantially plant based diet which means I eat a lot of carbs...lots of beans and lentils and potatoes and sweet potatoes and rice and pasta, etc...I do just fine with satiety...

In your post, you're primarily looking at carbs as "junk"...who the frack has chocolate for lunch? That's not lunch, that's a snack treat. I don't know anyone who would be satiated just eating chocolate for lunch...there are numerous sources of highly nutritious carbohydrates...this crap gets really old...

Whatev

Whatev what? Yeah...you're going to be hungry if all you have is chocolate for lunch...your "experiment" is inherently flawed...like big time.

You took my comments out of context. I eat about every two hours the same amt of calories swapping sugar for protein. My comments are very valid.

Prescribing any importance to a 1 pound difference over one week when weight can fluctuate that much easily from one day to another due to water retention is not valid.

You are reinforcing that sugar is empty calories that don't satiate you, no? That's what I'm trying to convey.

and I know my own body better than you, so I do what's best for me and all I was stating is what doesn't work for me and that's a high sugar diet. I am hungrier and less satisfied.

Well, you'd get the same result if you eat salami chips, which have no sugar. People don't usually eat "sugar" unless we're talking hard candy (and I have yet to see someone sit down to a main meal made of nothing but hard candy), they eat foods that contain sugar. My oatmeal had sugar today and it was satiating, because oatmeal is usually not a snack food. Yogurt can contain sugar, and is a snack food, but it's satiating to many. Apples are super satiating to me, to the point where I don't mind having them as a meal if I'm feeling lazy, and they're chock full of sugar.

That's my issue with the sugar claims. They look at one ingredient and ignore the food, meal, or even day. Ingredients needs to be seen as a point in a bigger context, not as an isolated entity. My diet today had 120 grams of sugar, and not a single gram of them came in form of candy or something that isn't satiating.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

reduce your overall quantity of food consumed by 15 to 20%....

this is not rocket science
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

Whatev

Well, you'd get the same result if you eat salami chips, which have no sugar. People don't usually eat "sugar" unless we're talking hard candy (and I have yet to see someone sit down to a main meal made of nothing but hard candy), they eat foods that contain sugar. My oatmeal had sugar today and it was satiating, because oatmeal is usually not a snack food. Yogurt can contain sugar, and is a snack food, but it's satiating to many. Apples are super satiating to me, to the point where I don't mind having them as a meal if I'm feeling lazy, and they're chock full of sugar.

That's my issue with the sugar claims. They look at one ingredient and ignore the food, meal, or even day. Ingredients needs to be seen as a point in a bigger context, not as an isolated entity. My diet today had 120 grams of sugar, and not a single gram of them came in form of candy or something that isn't satiating.

how are you still alive?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I literally just ate 4 tootsie pops (40 grams of sugar) and 2 bananas (28 grams of sugar) in the last 1.5 hours while riding 30 miles....what now?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I literally just ate 4 tootsie pops (40 grams of sugar) and 2 bananas (28 grams of sugar) in the last 1.5 hours while riding 30 miles....what now?

now you fall over dead, of course!! :p
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »

A shower I hope
    Lol. Done.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

The Diabeetus. You gon' die.
  • traceyroy54
    traceyroy54 Posts: 89 Member
    Thanks pps
  • andreakreymborg
    andreakreymborg Posts: 1 Member
    If you really want to know sugar makes you fat because of the chemical reaction that happens when it is processed by our livers. This process stops the I'm full message getting to our brain. So our brain sends out the message "eat more food and don't do anything we are starving".
    Search sweet poison in YouTube. It stooped me in my tracks.
  • BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    lipogensis. Wikipedia is your friend.