Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is not the whole equation

Replies

• geneticexpectations
    geneticexpectations Posts: 146 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    That's cool. I understand and accept that there is a difference in perception of what food means to each of us.

Let me ask another hopefully provocative question - and this is in the light that I am a quality over quantity guy, ie, I do "primal" dieting sticking to whole foods, buy all my meats pastured/grassfed from individual farmers etc.

WHO DO THE CEO's OF BIG FOOD LIKE BETTER?
    (ie, the people who make billions$$$$ off of non-whole foods, not like the farmers who I buy from who just get by).

Me

or

You (Referring to the people who responded to my recent post).

??????

I'm not sure why you think this would be a provocative question...

It doesn't make a lot of sense, to begin with. Why would a CEO of a company like Nabisco "like" any of us? Do we know them? Do we care whether they "like" us or not?

From an economic perspective, CEO's want to please consumers and thus sell more of their products at a higher profit margin. If you choose not to purchase their products, that is your choice. You are a demographic that is not in their current market share. They can decide whether to try to develop products/marketing tools that does appeal to you as a consumer, or they can ignore you and focus on consumers that they feel they can sell more products at a higher margin too.

I'm not sure what conclusion you thought would be drawn from this scenario?

I admire your level of trust. You don't think that on such a scale, many of these people have "sold their soul"??

In what way? Because they have a product to sell and consumers buy it? That's called capitalism.

It certainly is. And on a cold level, I admire the capitalism genius behind it. I also value the ability to look at one's self in the mirror every morning, and I don't know how they do it.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    3 points:

1. Some people state that CICO is a law of physics. Technically, the first law of thermodynamics is a law of physics, and a calorie is simply a unit of measurement of raising 1 g of water through 1 degree C IN A BOMB CALORIMETER. We as humans are each a complex biological system, not a bomb calorimeter. While being aware of a general sense of how much one eats is probably a good thing common sense wise, being dogmatic about a bomb calorimeter law for human fat loss is ignoring the complexity of a biological system. We should be looking for laws of BIOLOGY, not laws of physics to guide us.

2. Just a general pattern I have noticed.. again, not a hard and fast rule but a general pattern. Those who shout "it's all about CICO" really seem to like their junk food (although many do include whole foods), and really seem to want to keep junk food in the mix. To my eye, I do wonder if CICO is a fantastic marketing scheme for big food to give people "permission" to keep that junk food hanging around (one would naturally be all inclusive if instructed that quantity trumps quality).

3. I also notice that the "it's all about CICO" folk do tend to exhibit disproportionately negative emotional responses at the mention of "clean eating" or "whole food diets" or the word "paleo". Or at the very least, there will be a lot of sarcasm/hostility/derision in the tone of responses. I don't know why this is. If one is confident in their method, they usually react peacefully to alternative suggestions. I do understand that food is an emotional topic, but I don't see the converse scenario nearly as much (a "clean eater" getting hostile at the suggestion of CICO/everything in moderation). But that could just be my observation.

Now, there certainly are exceptions to my point number 2, as several forum members do say that they like to watch what they eat in addition to how much, but like I said I just noticed this general trend....

There may be many reasons. Perhaps it's the gym subculture, and/or or a sort of anti-intellectualism. Surely it shows a lack of interpersonal skills. Being able to remain civil while expressing disagreement requires a certain level of education.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    "Praise the God of all, drink the wine, and let the world be the world…”
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    That's cool. I understand and accept that there is a difference in perception of what food means to each of us.

Let me ask another hopefully provocative question - and this is in the light that I am a quality over quantity guy, ie, I do "primal" dieting sticking to whole foods, buy all my meats pastured/grassfed from individual farmers etc.

(ie, the people who make billions$$$$ off of non-whole foods, not like the farmers who I buy from who just get by).

Me

or

??????

Who cares? If you have ethical issues with where the food comes from, of course you should follow your beliefs. It doesn't apply to a debate over whether CICO is valid. Whether small farm or"big food" (SMH) sourced, food is food.

Ok. I'll reword the question.

WHO DO CEO's of BIG FOOD LIKE BETTER TO MAKE THEIR BUSINESS PLAN WORK???

People who think some foods are healthy and other foods are not?

or

People who think food is food

?????

Again, not applicable to a debate over CICO. Why are you so hung up on "big food"'s marketing strategies? It's really a topic for a separate debate.

I don't see how it isn't applicable to CICO. "Food is Food" seems to be a synonym for "it's all about CICO".

Because that is the case for weightloss. Health and nutrition are a different thing and should absolutely be accounted for but CICO is the overriding fact for weightloss.

All this, plus the insistence that nutrients derived from foods that are sold by "big food" are not the same as derived from other sources. Of course some foods are more nutrient-dense than others, no one's debating that except you.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I stopped worrying about who liked me or did not like me in high school...

When it comes to popularity, you should.

When it comes to victimizing, you shouldn't.

Corporate sharks like victims.

I'll let you do the worrying...

“Worriers are people, who think of all the variables beyond their control, and what might happen.”
    –Alan Watts
  • geneticexpectations
    J72FIT wrote: »
    There is what is, and then there is the story we keep telling ourselves...

The scans on patients that I read certainly tell me a story.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    SideSteel wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »

Me

or

??????

Who do people which care about the environment and people in developing countries who need access to cheap sources of food which do not perish easily like better?

You

or

Me.

I'll give you a clue.

It's not you.

^ Dude, beard is looking solid. 10/10.

He isn't lying ^^^ plush.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

Me

or

??????

Who do people which care about the environment and people in developing countries who need access to cheap sources of food which do not perish easily like better?

You

or

Me.

I'll give you a clue.

It's not you.

Thanks man.

I don't intend trying my luck with US border officials looking like this though ;)

lmao

can't say I blame you there, sadly =(
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member

Me

or

??????

You

or

Me.

I'll give you a clue.

It's not you.

He isn't lying ^^^ plush.

Ta!
  • geneticexpectations

Me

or

??????

Who cares? If you have ethical issues with where the food comes from, of course you should follow your beliefs. It doesn't apply to a debate over whether CICO is valid. Whether small farm or"big food" (SMH) sourced, food is food.

or

?????

Again, not applicable to a debate over CICO. Why are you so hung up on "big food"'s marketing strategies? It's really a topic for a separate debate.

I don't see how it isn't applicable to CICO. "Food is Food" seems to be a synonym for "it's all about CICO".

Because that is the case for weightloss. Health and nutrition are a different thing and should absolutely be accounted for but CICO is the overriding fact for weightloss.

Hey, I don't disagree with what you just wrote. I do like your use of the word "overrriding", implying that it is not a simple black box equation (biological system vs physical). That is in line with my first statement.

Health and nutrition are absolutely a different thing, which is why I included statement 2.

Which brings us to the fact that you technically are at least somewhat congruent with some of the things I said, but because of statement number 3, your response tends to be somewhat non warm and non fuzzy. (My responses aren't warm or fuzzy either, but I tend to be snarky in response to snarkyness, not in response to the subject matter).
  • geneticexpectations
    The only food I have trouble moderating are avacados. Doesn't mean I think the avacado industry is out to get me.

1. Wow. I love avocados, but one avocado sends me right to the toilet (in a good way) and gives me an enormous satiety level. Although I can't possibly relate to what you just said given my experience, I do respect that you and I probably have a massive difference in our bodies reaction to food (which I think reinforces my point number 1 about complexity of biological systems, which includes tremendous diversity in response to environment).

2. I did not mean to imply that corporate corruption behind a food was absolutely inversely proportional to the food's satiety level, although some correlation certainly does exist on a grand scale.
  • geneticexpectations
    3 points:

1. Some people state that CICO is a law of physics. Technically, the first law of thermodynamics is a law of physics, and a calorie is simply a unit of measurement of raising 1 g of water through 1 degree C IN A BOMB CALORIMETER. We as humans are each a complex biological system, not a bomb calorimeter. While being aware of a general sense of how much one eats is probably a good thing common sense wise, being dogmatic about a bomb calorimeter law for human fat loss is ignoring the complexity of a biological system. We should be looking for laws of BIOLOGY, not laws of physics to guide us.

2. Just a general pattern I have noticed.. again, not a hard and fast rule but a general pattern. Those who shout "it's all about CICO" really seem to like their junk food (although many do include whole foods), and really seem to want to keep junk food in the mix. To my eye, I do wonder if CICO is a fantastic marketing scheme for big food to give people "permission" to keep that junk food hanging around (one would naturally be all inclusive if instructed that quantity trumps quality).

3. I also notice that the "it's all about CICO" folk do tend to exhibit disproportionately negative emotional responses at the mention of "clean eating" or "whole food diets" or the word "paleo". Or at the very least, there will be a lot of sarcasm/hostility/derision in the tone of responses. I don't know why this is. If one is confident in their method, they usually react peacefully to alternative suggestions. I do understand that food is an emotional topic, but I don't see the converse scenario nearly as much (a "clean eater" getting hostile at the suggestion of CICO/everything in moderation). But that could just be my observation.

Now, there certainly are exceptions to my point number 2, as several forum members do say that they like to watch what they eat in addition to how much, but like I said I just noticed this general trend....

There may be many reasons. Perhaps it's the gym subculture, and/or or a sort of anti-intellectualism. Surely it shows a lack of interpersonal skills. Being able to remain civil while expressing disagreement requires a certain level of education.

Good point. But even in my colleagues who aren't active, boy do their temperatures rise when talking about food.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

Me

or

??????

or

?????

Hey, I don't disagree with what you just wrote. I do like your use of the word "overrriding", implying that it is not a simple black box equation (biological system vs physical). That is in line with my first statement.

Health and nutrition are absolutely a different thing, which is why I included statement 2.

Which brings us to the fact that you technically are at least somewhat congruent with some of the things I said, but because of statement number 3, your response tends to be somewhat non warm and non fuzzy. (My responses aren't warm or fuzzy either, but I tend to be snarky in response to snarkyness, not in response to the subject matter).

Yes, CICO is a broken down equation. How one gets to the simplified equation is individual of course. Not a single one of us who use moderation eat the exact same diet. So no, CICO isn't a simple black box, it's the simplified answer to an equation... Our debate lies in what role certain foods play in the overall equation I suppose.