How to not overeat in a world full of slobs

Replies

• kiwiapplepear
    kiwiapplepear Posts: 65 Member
    Um I am back didn't see the barrage of response, quite funny. Never once did I say that I never ate processed foods or had a perfect plant based diet , I said that people are kidding themselves thinking certain processed foods are OK to eat...I am glad I helped you all define your own position on this matter. My food diary at the moment is a bit of a experiment I have just started a ketogenic eating plan, it's obvious that the term "processed" can be applied to any food! As soon as its pulled from the ground. My meaning I think was thinking about fast food type food. I seem to have hit a nerve... Pack mentality here.

The foods are okay to eat in moderation, and you can still eat a healthy overall diet and be healthy while enjoying those things in moderation.

Considering that you eat processed foods as a part of your overall diet, do you consider yourself "unhealthy" as a result? Does your doctor say you're "unhealthy"?

If you get all of your nutrients in 1200 calories, and you have 200 calories leftover, your body will not give you extra credit for filling those 200 calories with more micronutrients than your body needs. It will excrete the excess as waste. There is no harm in enjoying a "processed" treat within those leftover calories.

Hi, I am no expert, and sorry for saying a word unless I can back up everything with immediate facts, the thing is I can go and cite any study I like to support any argument I have, and like wise for any other opinion.... I don't have time to write a thesis. I think its quote obvious where I was coming from, yes I demonise certain foods, do I still eat them... trying my best not to. But yeah I think I have exposed myself to many hidden chemicals that have affected my health adversely, ideally I want to trust that everything I buy that is processed is "safe". I deplore the use of synthetic pesticides and herbicides in our food, I cant afford to eat completely organic, I live in New Zealand and food is VERY expensive here... blah blah blah,..... you know the drill I am just a person trying to do and say the right things....

You are telling someone who gets free food from her workplace (McD's) and works for minimum wage to throw it out and buy more expensive food because you can. I'm a fan of helping people live within their needs when possible rather than soapboxing that they can't be healthy if they can't afford the good stuff.

I never said that! woah I said supplement your diet and swap out things... can you guys just continue without me, go vote
  • kiwiapplepear
    If you guys cant see that continuously commenting on my single post (which wasn't really that radical is mean... you need to let it go... gosh if everything we said was in black and white ) this actually upsetting me I didn't come here for an arguemnt and to defend myself to all these "EXPERTS" if you are dying to comment please don't because I am feeling really targeted... please attempt to control your urge to post directly to me.... what silly pleasure are you getting yes ! I am cornered... leave me alone... thanks. MOVE ON
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    johunt615 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Um I am back didn't see the barrage of response, quite funny. Never once did I say that I never ate processed foods or had a perfect plant based diet , I said that people are kidding themselves thinking certain processed foods are OK to eat...I am glad I helped you all define your own position on this matter. My food diary at the moment is a bit of a experiment I have just started a ketogenic eating plan, it's obvious that the term "processed" can be applied to any food! As soon as its pulled from the ground. My meaning I think was thinking about fast food type food. I seem to have hit a nerve... Pack mentality here.

I think people took more of an issue with your labeling of people around you as fat slobs, than what you choose to eat....

Hi sorry but you are wrong, the op called people slobs please look at the thread I do not body shame I am 200lbs... I have struggled with weight twice in my life after having babies... OP is a teen and I was trying to support her desires to reject eating the McDonalds etc that she is constantly exposed exposed to, perhaps I was a little clumsy in my choice of words but I shamed no body.

That was my mistake in that I thought you were in fact the OP. I apologize for that confusion.

That said, I do wonder if you care to enlighten us about which processed foods are not OK to eat, and why...

If I might jump in, I wonder if folks get "processed foods are bad" confused with thinking folks that eat processed foods are eating donuts, pasta, twinkles all day every day? Exaggeration I know but you get the point, not getting balanced nutrition?

Yes, I think that people don't seem to understand what "processed foods" are, which is what I find frustrating. Now, of course it is okay to eat some donuts, etc. too -- eating them doesn't mean eating only them or them in excessive amounts, after all -- but it's especially odd to me that people proclaim they don't eat processed foods when they obviously do or act as if others saying they do eat processed foods means that they have poor nutrition, when plenty of processed foods are quite nutritious. If someone doesn't understand the terms that are commonly used in these discussions, I think that's on them.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member

The foods are okay to eat in moderation, and you can still eat a healthy overall diet and be healthy while enjoying those things in moderation.

Considering that you eat processed foods as a part of your overall diet, do you consider yourself "unhealthy" as a result? Does your doctor say you're "unhealthy"?

If you get all of your nutrients in 1200 calories, and you have 200 calories leftover, your body will not give you extra credit for filling those 200 calories with more micronutrients than your body needs. It will excrete the excess as waste. There is no harm in enjoying a "processed" treat within those leftover calories.

Hi, I am no expert, and sorry for saying a word unless I can back up everything with immediate facts, the thing is I can go and cite any study I like to support any argument I have, and like wise for any other opinion.... I don't have time to write a thesis. I think its quote obvious where I was coming from, yes I demonise certain foods, do I still eat them... trying my best not to. But yeah I think I have exposed myself to many hidden chemicals that have affected my health adversely, ideally I want to trust that everything I buy that is processed is "safe". I deplore the use of synthetic pesticides and herbicides in our food, I cant afford to eat completely organic, I live in New Zealand and food is VERY expensive here... blah blah blah,..... you know the drill I am just a person trying to do and say the right things....

You are telling someone who gets free food from her workplace (McD's) and works for minimum wage to throw it out and buy more expensive food because you can. I'm a fan of helping people live within their needs when possible rather than soapboxing that they can't be healthy if they can't afford the good stuff.

I never said that! woah I said supplement your diet and swap out things... can you guys just continue without me, go vote

This is an international forum. The world really doesn't revolve around the USA, I'm afraid. ;)

SInce I am in the US, I assumed it was a dig at me.

Have you voted? ;)
  • kiwiapplepear
    no
    [

No one, not one single poster here, is trying to eat you alive. We are trying to reassure a vulnerable, upset teenager that eating the food she has available won't hurt her. When you say things like "should be part of no person's diet" or that these foods are not fine even in moderation (as you did) you may be doing more harm than good to the poor OP who hasn't come back since.

No but I have expressed that i feel really upset and just out of kindness people should give it a break, listen to what the issue is at hand... I cannot delete my post... and I never even directed that point I made in the post at the OP. Basically people interpret things how ever they want, but when somebody is upset people should just drop it as sensitive adults... nobody has any idea where people are at emotionally and how a thread like this can effect somebody I have been here for only three weeks, I don't automatically understand the culture here... lesson learnt for me I guess..

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    When I read "slobs" in the title I knew it would be incendiary, but I get the idea. When you are surrounded by people who are making an effort to look after their health and fitness (as I am in this online community of MFP), it's easier to make it your own priority too. When you are surrounded by people who are not making an effort at the moment, for whatever reason, it's harder to blaze your own trail. I'm not at all suggesting that every single person that eats at McDonald's is not making health and fitness a priority in their life. I eat at McDonalds. But overall, yes, I would agree that it's not really a health and fitness kind of community.

By contrast, a friend of mine started working at the daycare centre at a gym a couple years ago. She looks freaking amazing now.

Your environment can be a factor in your success. Just how much of a factor depends on you.
  • alma_stars
    alma_stars Posts: 2 Member
    I think the problem here is that everyone is a "genius".