Calories are not equal

2»

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    edited November 2016
    yakerman wrote: »
    Are really all miles equal?? So if I walk one mile uphill and you walk one mile straight it's the same thing?

[edited by MFP Mods]

Yes. Because you're still only traveling for a mile.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited November 2016
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I don't think all calories are equal. I was eating very healthy and working out. I would have ever morning 2 spoons of flax seed oil which is 240 calories and full of fat plus in afternoon I would add 2 spoons of coconut oil to my green tea which is 260 calories and also tons of fat. Needless to say I was losing so much weight people said I was too skinny. In addition I was signing up for life insurance and my numbers came back so well I got $200 off a year on my premium. My advise is to do what works for u. I don't think a slice of pizza for 240 calories is same as 2 spoons of flax seed oil. Maybe scientifically but not how you body uses it. Just my opinion.

I'm really confused by this post, sorry.. @yakerman
    So, you don't think an inch is an inch, or a mile is a mile?
    Calories are a unit of measurement just like an inch or mile are. Calories do not equal nutrition.

What does consuming fat have to do with any of this?

Keto. It's magic, don't you know.
    Are really all miles equal?? So if I walk one mile uphill and you walk one mile straight it's the same thing? If you drive highway miles and city miles your car burns same gas??

Why don't you learn a little about the human body. Your body needs certain foods and nutrients and digests food based on a lot of complicated factors therefore not all calories are equal. Your obviously not eating enough healthy foods for your brain to fully function.

[edited by MFP Mods]

:laugh:
    thank you so much for that. I needed that laugh.
    "Why don't you learn a little about the human body"
    :laugh:
    I have. Almost 100lbs lost. How about you?

Oh, and I do eat enough healthy foods to know the difference between your and you're.

I trust my Dietitian who, you know, actually HAS a degree.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2016
    What I'm saying is very simple. It's just my opinion from personal experience so if you disagree that's fine. Whatever works for you.

I don't think all calories are equal. I don't care the science behind it. I'm talking from personal experience that worked for me. I was eating very healthy and working out. I would have 2 spoons of flax seed oil and 2 spoons of coconut oil. This is about 500 calories a day extra then my regularly meals and I still lost a lot of weight. I can't imagine if I had 500 calories a day of pizza and ice cream that I would have experienced the same results.

I think you would have. With some 500 calorie things (maybe nuts, or beef, or broccoli) there's a decent chance that the amount actually taken in by the body is less than the 500 calories logged (beef and nuts -- both are often not absorbed in full so the calorie count is off, although I wouldn't try to adjust for that when logging) or that you overestimated calories (pretty hard to eat 500 calories of broccoli, and if the count includes oil used for cooking it maybe wasn't all actually used). With oil that you just consume (which really doesn't have a lot of nutrients, btw -- if the goal here was health there are way lower cal or more pleasurable and satiating ways to get in healthy fats, with fewer nutrients -- clearly you had plenty of calories to spare, but consuming calories in this way seems so depressing to me), that's not the case. And it's funny that you compare 500 calories of oil to pizza as if one were super healthy and not fattening and the other were terrible and fattening. I often have 500 calories of pizza (homemade or from a good Italian restaurant -- thin crust, olive oil as the fat, lots of vegetables, some cheese and tomato sauce, maybe some good Italian ham (reasonably lean, actually) or olives or an egg). Delicious, reasonably filling (for me far more so than some oil, blech) and lots of micronutrients, plus just plan pleasurable to eat and something I can share with friends and family.

The calories, though, pretty much the same if both are 500.

Anyway, you are a young-ish guy, doesn't seem that implausible that you could lose a lot even devoting so many calories to oil. I am a short, older female without a lot to lose, and I can fit in extras and still lose.
  • yakerman
    yakerman Posts: 4 Member
    edited November 2016
    I'm sorry if I was rude to anyone. I am not as smart and educated as you guys.

Good luck to all, I hope you stay healthy and feel good!
    Bye.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2016
    Are really all miles equal?? So if I walk one mile uphill and you walk one mile straight it's the same thing? If you drive highway miles and city miles your car burns same gas??

Why don't you learn a little about the human body. Your body needs certain foods and nutrients and digests food based on a lot of complicated factors therefore not all calories are equal. Your obviously not eating enough healthy foods for your brain to fully function.

[edited by MFP Mods]

All you're demonstrating is a complete inability to discern one criteria from another. Speaking purely in terms of weight loss, a calorie is a calorie. Speaking purely in terms of distance, a mile is a mile. Whether you travel it uphill, downhill, in the heat or cold, on foot or in a car, it's a mile. It's 5,280 feet. It's 1,760 yards. It's ONE MILE.

When you factor in other criteria, there are other considerations about that calorie or that mile. But they're still one calorie or one mile, no matter what. I can't see how that's hard to understand.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I can't imagine if I had 500 calories a day of pizza and ice cream that I would have experienced the same results.

Yes, you would have.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    He is almost right. In many (most?) cases, the pizza will have more nutritional value than a couple of tablespoons of pure fat.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    I can't imagine if I had 500 calories a day of pizza and ice cream that I would have experienced the same results.

Google "Twinkie Diet". You're welcome.