Amenorrhea

1235»

Replies

• healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    A couple of quick comments:
    Trending weight app or web site such as weightgrapher.com is your friend when it comes to weight fluctuations.
    Also, when somebody mentions your activity level they are not just talking about exercise. How much you generally move about/stand/walk during the day also counts. Possibly even more so than the half hour of elliptical.

The following things are potentially at play.

You COULD address them all at once quite easily.

1. how much fat you eat on a regular basis
    2. how much energy you take in on a regular basis when you're exercising
    3. how much stored fat you have on you.

Are you eating less than 0.3g of fat per lb of body weight? Then your are not eating enough fat. Quite probably 0.4g per lb or even 0.5 would make more sense for you. You can always pop fish oil pills. Whether in pill form or eaten... the fat will still have the same calories. All fats come in at about 9Cal per gram. In any case: make sure you take in sufficient dietary fat.

You under eat and over-eat when it comes to calories, and by the sounds of it are in a negative balance for the week.

The biggest problem times regarding Energy Availability is when you're exercising and under-eating and don't have sufficient fat reserves available in you to support the activity level.

This is easily solved by not having ridiculously low days followed by very high days on the weekend or what have you.

There is just no scenario I can easily imagine where you would benefit by eating less than 1500 correctly counted Cal a day. And that would be on a LOW day. Quite probably that number should be at least 1700. But I don't know your stats. So these are all guesses.

A better guess would be your your sedentary calories at maintenance as per MFP. Even on a low day... even when trying to lose weight... I just don't see why as an active person you would ever need to eat less than that as an absolute value (you would still create enough of a deficit via exercise)

Awesome ! Thank you so much for all of this ! Really helped me a lot !
    By the way regarding stats : 19 yrs , F , 157cm and 49-50kg :)
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Trending weight app or web site such as weightgrapher.com is your friend when it comes to weight fluctuations.
    Also, when somebody mentions your activity level they are not just talking about exercise. How much you generally move about/stand/walk during the day also counts. Possibly even more so than the half hour of elliptical.

Are you eating less than 0.3g of fat per lb of body weight? Then your are not eating enough fat. Quite probably 0.4g per lb or even 0.5 would make more sense for you. You can always pop fish oil pills. Whether in pill form or eaten... the fat will still have the same calories. All fats come in at about 9Cal per gram. In any case: make sure you take in sufficient dietary fat.

You under eat and over-eat when it comes to calories, and by the sounds of it are in a negative balance for the week.

The biggest problem times regarding Energy Availability is when you're exercising and under-eating and don't have sufficient fat reserves available in you to support the activity level.

This is easily solved by not having ridiculously low days followed by very high days on the weekend or what have you.

There is just no scenario I can easily imagine where you would benefit by eating less than 1500 correctly counted Cal a day. And that would be on a LOW day. Quite probably that number should be at least 1700. But I don't know your stats. So these are all guesses.

A better guess would be your your sedentary calories at maintenance as per MFP. Even on a low day... even when trying to lose weight... I just don't see why as an active person you would ever need to eat less than that as an absolute value (you would still create enough of a deficit via exercise)

OP - This ^^^^^^^^^ is excellent advice. Please look at it again and again. You need to plug your stats in MFP again and see how many cals it says you need to maintain your weight. My guess is it is well over what you are getting on an average day.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member

OP - This ^^^^^^^^^ is excellent advice. Please look at it again and again. You need to plug your stats in MFP again and see how many cals it says you need to maintain your weight. My guess is it is well over what you are getting on an average day.

Yep ! Awesome advice which made me feel A LOT better ! And yes probably the issue is that I am eating less than I should ! Increased my calories to 1500 yesterday and am already feeling a lot better :)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    healthy491 wrote: »
    I also have amenorrhea.

Even if you are technically at a healthy BMI, your weight could be too low for your body personally, which could be causing the issue. You could also have been putting your body under stress due to your weight loss. Amenorrhea can be really harmful for your body and can actually result in osteoporosis if sustained for too long.

I would personally be concerned and would work with your gynecologist to gain a little weight- your bone health is a lot more important than the way you look or what other people think about your weight- not that it's any of their business anyway.

Please do what's best for your health! Good luck :heart:

Thank you so much ❤ how could I know that my body weight is too low though?

Because it's telling you with the amenorrhea!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    OP, just get to your doctor...

A quick 10 minute blood test done at your GYNO will give you proper diagnosis a lot better than we can here in a public internet forum.. And just know this may or may not be related to how much you weigh on the body scale. In most case of healthy young women, how they diet and exercise contributes to most of this.. Not knowing anything about your dieting and exercise or levels of stress in your life its hard to give proper information other than to refer you back to your personal female doctor..

I already did so and the test just said I have a low eastrogen which was because I was under eating
    She did not specifically tell me to gain weight but she weighed me and told me I was under weight which is weird because on her scale my weight marked 47kg and at home I used 2 different scales and theh both marked 49.5kg !

OP, it also might be helpful to ask for a referral to a psychologist. I'm concerned for you and your thoughts about your body. You're so happy with the way your body looks, you're ingnoring the very direct signal from it that you're hurting it and have been for the last eight months.

Weight isn't the only marker of health, but it seems to be the most important thing to you, even more than your own health and well-being. Please reconsider!
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    OP, just get to your doctor...

A quick 10 minute blood test done at your GYNO will give you proper diagnosis a lot better than we can here in a public internet forum.. And just know this may or may not be related to how much you weigh on the body scale. In most case of healthy young women, how they diet and exercise contributes to most of this.. Not knowing anything about your dieting and exercise or levels of stress in your life its hard to give proper information other than to refer you back to your personal female doctor..

I already did so and the test just said I have a low eastrogen which was because I was under eating
    She did not specifically tell me to gain weight but she weighed me and told me I was under weight which is weird because on her scale my weight marked 47kg and at home I used 2 different scales and theh both marked 49.5kg !

OP, it also might be helpful to ask for a referral to a psychologist. I'm concerned for you and your thoughts about your body. You're so happy with the way your body looks, you're ingnoring the very direct signal from it that you're hurting it and have been for the last eight months.

Weight isn't the only marker of health, but it seems to be the most important thing to you, even more than your own health and well-being. Please reconsider!

This very well may be needed, OP, if you're not willing to do what you need to do to be healthy. However, I do think that it's completely normal and appropriate for you to have to come to terms and mourn the fact that you may not be able to have the exact body you want, through no fault of your own, even though you've worked so hard. You are not the only one out there in this situation.