What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,010 Member
    Options
    Someone said something here not long ago that stuck with me. Something like “there’s not a food shortage problem, there’s a food distribution problem”. I know this probably isn’t true everywhere but I see it here in my city. There’s this church here that gets food all the time. Truckloads. They get it from organizations like Feeding America but also local grocery stores and stores like Whole Foods (which the closest one is like 20 miles away). They have a highly organized sign up/pick up process. They practically beg people to come and get it. As many times a week as you can. I have friends who do it mostly to help distribute it. They’ll give it to friends, group homes. Even fire departments and stuff like that. My one friend practically made it into a part time job over the summer when she had time. Sometimes she’ll ask me if I want certain things that nobody wanted. Like specially nut butter or bars or certain kinds of produce or something. I looked one up once and it was around $12 for a smallish size container of nut butter. Sometimes this stuff is very close to the expiration date and sometimes not. I’ve seen $6 chocolate bars. 😵 I’ve seen those massive round things of gourmet cheeses (sometimes I watch their FB lives because the lady is really entertaining). They’ve had problems with people taking stuff they want and throwing the rest away. Once she said someone threw it out on their front lawn? Crazy. I guess you pull up and they’ll give you cart fulls. Sometimes you’ll get several boxes of the same thing. Idk.....I wish there was a better way for people who needed it to get it. But they’re trying really hard to not let it go to waste. They’re hoping to get a building and have it more set up like a store so people can just come get what they need someday.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    Someone said something here not long ago that stuck with me. Something like “there’s not a food shortage problem, there’s a food distribution problem”. I know this probably isn’t true everywhere but I see it here in my city. There’s this church here that gets food all the time. Truckloads. They get it from organizations like Feeding America but also local grocery stores and stores like Whole Foods (which the closest one is like 20 miles away). They have a highly organized sign up/pick up process. They practically beg people to come and get it. As many times a week as you can. I have friends who do it mostly to help distribute it. They’ll give it to friends, group homes. Even fire departments and stuff like that. My one friend practically made it into a part time job over the summer when she had time. Sometimes she’ll ask me if I want certain things that nobody wanted. Like specially nut butter or bars or certain kinds of produce or something. I looked one up once and it was around $12 for a smallish size container of nut butter. Sometimes this stuff is very close to the expiration date and sometimes not. I’ve seen $6 chocolate bars. 😵 I’ve seen those massive round things of gourmet cheeses (sometimes I watch their FB lives because the lady is really entertaining). They’ve had problems with people taking stuff they want and throwing the rest away. Once she said someone threw it out on their front lawn? Crazy. I guess you pull up and they’ll give you cart fulls. Sometimes you’ll get several boxes of the same thing. Idk.....I wish there was a better way for people who needed it to get it. But they’re trying really hard to not let it go to waste. They’re hoping to get a building and have it more set up like a store so people can just come get what they need someday.

No other food banks they can give to?
  • Miss_Chiev0us_
    Miss_Chiev0us_ Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Happy to be ambidextrous because I can't do nothing with my right arm and hand this morning.
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,010 Member
    Options
    @lx1x
    I’m not sure. I think they try to. Some of them weren’t open for a while. A lot of them can’t store a lot of it. A lot of it is frozen/refrigerated and they don’t have the space outside of refrigerated trucks from what I understand.
  • lx1x
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    @lx1x
    I’m not sure. I think they try to. Some of them weren’t open for a while. A lot of them can’t store a lot of it. A lot of it is frozen/refrigerated and they don’t have the space outside of refrigerated trucks from what I understand.

👍
  • Miss_Chiev0us_
    Miss_Chiev0us_ Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Seeing my boys this weekend, finally after 3 months. 🙂

I'm so happy for you and your boys ❤
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Elcee2020 wrote: »
    Not enough space on my calendar..😔

@Elcee2020

Why not buy a bigger calendar ?

* shrug

(I'm here to serve.)

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    @Motorsheen do you have bigger clocks too? 🤔🤭

The Consonant Giveth, The Consonant Taketh Away.
  • lx1x
    Options
    uwsqytr6pfpp.jpg
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Hah, I actually got that one.
    No flying over my head this time.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,549 Member
    Options
    Seeing my boys this weekend, finally after 3 months. 🙂

YES!! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!
    ❤️ 🎉❤️🎉❤️🎉❤️
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I’m surprised MFP is allowing hate speech to go on.
  • lx1x
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I’m surprised MFP is allowing hate speech to go on.

Where?
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    I’ve been making homemade ice coffee using almond milk, thinking I’ve been cutting mad calories. Turns out nope still 316 calories.

Omg I could have a hamburger for that much calories.
  • 5ofseven
    5ofseven Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Hah, I actually got that one.
    No flying over my head this time.

I mean, helicopters are a thing. :|