Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Chit-Chat
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What's on your mind?

Replies

• ReenieHJReenieHJ Member Posts: 6,717 Member Member Posts: 6,717 Member
    What's the reasoning behind giving flowers or plants to relatives at funerals? Why would you send something that is going to die in a week or two or a plant that has to be taken care of all the time? I'm curious where the tradition started and why.

As for my stepmom's funeral: We donated pretty much all the flower arrangements to the local senior center/home so someone could at least enjoy them. Relatives came and picked out plants they wanted to take care of, so at least they'll be appreciated. We kept a peace lily (to match the one we have from my grandpa's funeral from 2007 which is practically a tree now). Happy that they'll be appreciated/used/looked after elsewhere.

But where did this tradition start from and why? I might have to go look it up because I am genuinely curious.

I have no idea but lots of times we see it listed 'in lieu of flowers, please consider donating to ___________' instead. Flowers are a nice way to express condolences and let people know you're thinking of them but I tend to feel the same way you do. And with flowers being so darn expensive, I always opt for donating to a charity that is important to the family, then send a heartfelt card.
  • KosmosKittenKosmosKitten Member Posts: 9,896 Member Member Posts: 9,896 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    What's the reasoning behind giving flowers or plants to relatives at funerals? Why would you send something that is going to die in a week or two or a plant that has to be taken care of all the time? I'm curious where the tradition started and why.

As for my stepmom's funeral: We donated pretty much all the flower arrangements to the local senior center/home so someone could at least enjoy them. Relatives came and picked out plants they wanted to take care of, so at least they'll be appreciated. We kept a peace lily (to match the one we have from my grandpa's funeral from 2007 which is practically a tree now). Happy that they'll be appreciated/used/looked after elsewhere.

But where did this tradition start from and why? I might have to go look it up because I am genuinely curious.

I have no idea but lots of times we see it listed 'in lieu of flowers, please consider donating to ___________' instead. Flowers are a nice way to express condolences and let people know you're thinking of them but I tend to feel the same way you do. And with flowers being so darn expensive, I always opt for donating to a charity that is important to the family, then send a heartfelt card.

Yeah. I think if we had had enough time, that's what we would have done, however, I feel that by donating the flowers to someplace else where they can brighten the day and lives of others, it's a net positive for the world. I would have taken a plant, if I thought they'd let me take it back home on the airplane.
  • Miss_Chiev0us_Miss_Chiev0us_ Member Posts: 1,943 Member Member Posts: 1,943 Member
    I miss my parents I wish I could spend more time with them. With some of my close friends parent's passing, they're on my mind now. I hope they are proud of me.

I'm sure they are ❤
  • will_it_go_round_in_circleswill_it_go_round_in_circles Member Posts: 981 Member Member Posts: 981 Member
    I miss my parents I wish I could spend more time with them. With some of my close friends parent's passing, they're on my mind now. I hope they are proud of me.

They are but they said to be careful on that bicycle!
  • Miss_Chiev0us_Miss_Chiev0us_ Member Posts: 1,943 Member Member Posts: 1,943 Member
    This, I duct-taped it on my fridge 3 days ago 😅

h5pi1oh20zls.jpg
  • Peachesand_creamPeachesand_cream Member Posts: 375 Member Member Posts: 375 Member

h5pi1oh20zls.jpg

I need this! As well as a pad lock and some wire to keep my mouth shut.
  • Peachesand_creamPeachesand_cream Member Posts: 375 Member Member Posts: 375 Member

I felt this.

*Hugs*

h5pi1oh20zls.jpg

This could work too 🤷‍♀️
    7yqm2bfhu9xy.jpg

Oh, we're going there?! 😏😍

I *kitten* love you to pieces! This is why I come here...comic relief. 💋❤️
    Don't ✍  joke ✍ on✍ MFP✍ some ✍ people  ✍ get ✍ offended ✍

qjwftova8eol.gif

Those of us who know you love you...the rest don't matter ❤️
  • eatpolerepeateatpolerepeat Member Posts: 23,727 Member Member Posts: 23,727 Member

h5pi1oh20zls.jpg

This could work too 🤷‍♀️
    7yqm2bfhu9xy.jpg

I'm still waiting on my burger one 😏😂

qjwftova8eol.gif

I mean.. I'll agree to disagree. The ball should be bigger.

h5pi1oh20zls.jpg

This could work too 🤷‍♀️
    7yqm2bfhu9xy.jpg

Jo has that one 😆

qjwftova8eol.gif

I mean.. I'll agree to disagree. The ball should be bigger.

You've been heard 😂

I can't keep my response within community guidelines...I'll see myself out now
  • slimgirljo15slimgirljo15 Member, Premium Posts: 259,682 Member Member, Premium Posts: 259,682 Member

h5pi1oh20zls.jpg

This could work too 🤷‍♀️
    7yqm2bfhu9xy.jpg

Jo has that one 😆

🤫 shhhh 😁
  • OpheliaCooterOpheliaCooter Member Posts: 435 Member Member Posts: 435 Member
    I think I have windshield wiper anxiety. 😐 Every time I come to a red light or I'm driving in the rain I'm constantly looking at how fast other people's wipers are going and if mine are going faster than theirs I will immediately turn mine down bc omg what will they think if mine are on 10 and theirs are on 2 and my heart races so just commit me now

No, assert yourself and turn them up faster
  • _sw33tp3a_11_sw33tp3a_11 Member Posts: 4,142 Member Member Posts: 4,142 Member
    Certain people that I miss