I am disabled and unable to exercise....

2»

Replies

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    This man started out barely able to walk between the rooms in his house. He lost 312 lbs.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1103164/3-yrs-312lbs-lost-1yr-from-bodylift-and-maintenance/p1

This woman was confined to a wheelchair in the beginning, then to a wheelchair/braces after she lost weight but before she got knee replacements. She lost more than the 118 lbs mentioned in this post.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1346553/before-and-after-photos-requested-by-an-mfp-sister/p1

They both began to exercise after they lost a good chunk of weight, but exercise is never required. Only a calorie deficit is.

If these people can do it, you can too. Be patient, stick to your calorie goal, and don't give up!
  • mustangnash
    mustangnash Posts: 1 Member
    You have come along way. Keep up your motivation.
    Same as some of the shared links above. This internet Troll was motivated by one of the guys he hated on. He was challenged to start just by moving his hands and arms in the air for a few minutes at a time. That in itself would burn so much calories that it would motivate him to do more later. Since you do not want to aggravate any of your injuries you may want to add resistance bands later on and pull or push against them to gain muscle and increase your rate of weight-loss.

https://www.google.be/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi0iMfBmavQAhVFWBoKHXYqD3EQyCkIHTAA&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpy1FlGKYz0&usg=AFQjCNHWECkMgfKcGs0F6pRPB3YPL2GBXQ&sig2=4iPUK-YB79_6HnoYxucmJA&bvm=bv.138493631,d.d2s
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    sally7378 wrote: »
    Help! I am disabled and bedridden and can only walk like 5 minutes at a time and stand only about 5 minutes at a time. I am morbidly obese and need to lose 140 pounds (I just lost 10) - It was not water because I take lasix everyday for unexplained edema, so the water weight is totally under control.
    I truly do not believe that I will be able to lose weight, especially 140 pounds WITHOUT EXERCISE. Any kind of exercise is painful. Ive had 3 back surgeries (I sleep or rather sit at an angle about 21 hours a day. I am eating less than 1200 calories a day, so why have I only lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks? Is there anyone out there that is losing weight but not able to exercise?

HELP???? TRAPPED IN MY OWN BED!!!

Just about everyone else has covered 99% of what I'd say - including congratulations on your first loss.

Regarding the part I bolded - could you, maybe, just get up for a minute, then sit back down? Rest for a couple of minutes, then do it again? Perhaps a few times a day, where you simply get up, take a few steps if you can, then sit and repeat could help you start?
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    edited November 2016
    Just to say I agree with the above. You HAVE lost 2 lbs a week. Great job. You can walk 5 minutes a day. Try it twice a day. You can stand 5 minutes a day. Try some bed exercises. Try some bed yoga. Keep up the good work.
  • sally7378
    sally7378 Posts: 2 Member
    WOW, so much information to take in. THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH, I am truly humbled that people care and that you took the time out to reach out to me. I now feel truly Blessed. Thank you again!!!!!

SAlly :)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    I want to challenge your thought process just a little bit...if you're just purely talking about weight loss, there's nothing really magic about exercise except that it increases your energy expenditure. (It has lots of other benefits, of course, but but I'm deliberately not addressing those right now. Those can be questions for a future time). So all you need to do right now is to look at ways to increase the amount of energy you use throughout the day. Stop thinking about dedicated exercise time right now, and start thinking about increasing your energy expenditure.

If you can walk for 5 minutes, that's awesome! Do that. In an hour or two, whenever you're ready, do it again. Don't overdo it and hurt yourself, because you need to be able to do it again tomorrow. After a week or two, can you walk for 6 minutes? If so, that's wonderful! You just increased the time you're able to spend being active by 20%. (And if not, that's okay too. Go back to 5 minutes, and try increasing it again next week if you're ready).

While you're resting, can you lift one arm slowly straight overhead and lower it back down? Great! Try doing that 10 times. If it's too easy, do both at once if that feels okay. Anything you can do to use a little more energy throughout the day is going to be your "exercise."
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I want to challenge your thought process just a little bit...if you're just purely talking about weight loss, there's nothing really magic about exercise except that it increases your energy expenditure. (It has lots of other benefits, of course, but but I'm deliberately not addressing those right now. Those can be questions for a future time). So all you need to do right now is to look at ways to increase the amount of energy you use throughout the day. Stop thinking about dedicated exercise time right now, and start thinking about increasing your energy expenditure.

If you can walk for 5 minutes, that's awesome! Do that. In an hour or two, whenever you're ready, do it again. Don't overdo it and hurt yourself, because you need to be able to do it again tomorrow. After a week or two, can you walk for 6 minutes? If so, that's wonderful! You just increased the time you're able to spend being active by 20%. (And if not, that's okay too. Go back to 5 minutes, and try increasing it again next week if you're ready).

While you're resting, can you lift one arm slowly straight overhead and lower it back down? Great! Try doing that 10 times. If it's too easy, do both at once if that feels okay. Anything you can do to use a little more energy throughout the day is going to be your "exercise."

This is the answer to everything you need to know/do. You don't need to go to a gym or go for a run to use more calories you just need to do something to get that heart pumping a bit more. As I have always said 'Eat less, Move more' is all that you need to do.

10lb is fantastic and you deserve congratulations for what you've achieved so far. Keep it up and before you know it you'll be walking round your house all day wondering what you did with your coat hat and scarf because you want to go out for a walk!!