Is It Over Yet? The Perimenopause Thread

Replies

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    I have been told by my doc that the symptoms I have had over the past 2 years are perimenopause. I turned 40 this past weekend. Dizzy and nauseous the few days before my period, and weak during. I had a uterine resection 2 years ago due to fibroids and severely heavy blood loss. I am still taking tranexamic acid to reduce flow but it is so, so much better than it had been. I honestly can’t wait to be in full blown menopause. Way too many years dealing with horrendous cycles.

As far as the frozen shoulder discussion, I will give my observations. I am “happy” to see it is being acknowledged as something that occurs to women during peri and post menopause. During my whole career as a massage therapist I would discuss with doctors and physios how it seemed to be during hormone shifts this would affect people. As above, I really found the patients who had very intense hands on therapy healed slower. What I observed was: patients who did their exercises consistently and to their own tolerance had slow but consistent improvement, my treatments were kept gentle and I sent them home to do their exercises right after treatment to enhance the effects of what I had done, cortisone could be a huge blessing or a huge PITA; I will probably skip the offer if i come across a problem big enough for it to be suggested, average healing time was about a year, depending on severity, and women with higher upper body strength did not suffer nearly as badly as very low muscled women.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    2nn0mgyrmefw.png
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    @Machka9;c-45830813 Thank you for posting this. Also add frozen shoulder I guess. I would say that in actual menopause, periods cease. (That's the definition, is it not?) The irregular periods - or the almost constant bleeding - are a peri-menopause symptom.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    edited March 2021
    I'm currently having my "lightest" (in quotes cuz light for me is not light) period in almost 10 years!

Now I'm wondering if the end is finally in sight or it is because of the higher fiber / lower saturated fat WOE I started late December to address the heavy bleeding caused by my fibroids. Not willing to go back to higher fat to find out.

Or is it just a cruel joke like last spring when my periods were lighter, but didn't stop for weeks and weeks...?

This time I know I can use progesterone to stop that though.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Electric shocks?
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Electric shocks?

Yes, it's a sensation like getting zapped with a mild electric shock. Brief and not painful but a bit disconcerting. I assume it's some sort of momentary nerve confusion.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Electric shocks?

Yes, it's a sensation like getting zapped with a mild electric shock. Brief and not painful but a bit disconcerting. I assume it's some sort of momentary nerve confusion.

I feel them during my hot flashes.
  • wsusan162
    wsusan162 Posts: 58 Member
    No period for me since 2017, so supposedly fully menopausal. However, hot flashes, night sweats and waking up angry at the world for no reason persist. I hope this changes soon. I'm 53, my mom said it all ended for her at 55, got my fingers crossed it's the same for me.
  • swiftyl
    swiftyl Posts: 37 Member
    I'm 47 and I think started peri a year or so ago. Cycle ranges from 27-35 days, 3 days heavy bleeding and then about 8 days spotting (which is great for thinking you've finished and then hey presto - surprise!). Hair thinning, muscle cramps, nausea, heavy breasts and incontience have been my main symptoms. All manageable so far but I'm sure I've got a way to go - that said I'd rather have this (and period panties) than the hell of the pill and then the mirena coil, which after months of difficulties and depression, literally fell out of me as my body couldn't take it any more. Blood clot the size of a golf ball too. (So glad to be back to 'normal' non chemical cycles.
  • kshama2001
    swiftyl wrote: »
    I'm 47 and I think started peri a year or so ago. Cycle ranges from 27-35 days, 3 days heavy bleeding and then about 8 days spotting (which is great for thinking you've finished and then hey presto - surprise!). Hair thinning, muscle cramps, nausea, heavy breasts and incontience have been my main symptoms. All manageable so far but I'm sure I've got a way to go - that said I'd rather have this (and period panties) than the hell of the pill and then the mirena coil, which after months of difficulties and depression, literally fell out of me as my body couldn't take it any more. Blood clot the size of a golf ball too. (So glad to be back to 'normal' non chemical cycles.

Have you had your iron levels checked? Heavy periods can lead to iron deficiency anemia which can lead to hair falling out way faster than normal. When my anemia is under control I shed at a normal rate. (Don't just supplement iron - do get blood work done - too much iron can cause problems as well.)

I have a lot of spotting and generally use a menstrual cup for at least two weeks out of the month. I don't leave the house without it!

You'll find cheaper options on Amazon but I prefer this brand:

https://gladrags.com/collections/menstrual-cups

I have the XO Flo for my heavy days and the mini for light days and in between.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Have you had your iron levels checked? Heavy periods can lead to iron deficiency anemia which can lead to hair falling out way faster than normal. When my anemia is under control I shed at a normal rate. (Don't just supplement iron - do get blood work done - too much iron can cause problems as well.)

I have a lot of spotting and generally use a menstrual cup for at least two weeks out of the month. I don't leave the house without it!

Menstrual cups are a game changer for longer periods of expected/unexpected spotting! Rather than going through a half a box of pantiliners every month. Wish I knew about them years ago.

I'm 48 and no obvious symptoms yet, but I wanted to get tagged in so I get notifications to follow this great thread. My periods are still super regular, even after coming off the pill about 5 yrs ago. My mom's not great with details, so no idea of when she started.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    Hmm.. I wonder if it's kind of time to join the group. I'm nearly 47, and my last 2-3 pill stop bleedings were very mild an didn't last a full week. I only take a break every 7-9 weeks though, thus I don't have a lot of data. Fortunately I have no other symptoms yet. Maybe thanks to the pill.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Hmm.. I wonder if it's kind of time to join the group. I'm nearly 47, and my last 2-3 pill stop bleedings were very mild an didn't last a full week. I only take a break every 7-9 weeks though, thus I don't have a lot of data. Fortunately I have no other symptoms yet. Maybe thanks to the pill.

Ugh, I wish I was still on the pill, hardly had any period at all, no PMS. But I was getting occasional migraines and my gyn was concerned about the over 35 stroke risk. She would've gone along with the newer low low dose pill, but my insurance wouldn't pay for it.

To be fair, I've pretty much stopped getting migraines, and don't want to risk having a stroke, so she was probably right :blush:
  • kshama2001
    kimny72 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Menstrual cups are a game changer for longer periods of expected/unexpected spotting! Rather than going through a half a box of pantiliners every month. Wish I knew about them years ago.

I'm 48 and no obvious symptoms yet, but I wanted to get tagged in so I get notifications to follow this great thread. My periods are still super regular, even after coming off the pill about 5 yrs ago. My mom's not great with details, so no idea of when she started.

Yes, mothers pay attention to when you go through menopause as your daughters will be quizzing you about this as they approach 50!

It was very difficult to pin my mother down, but she thinks around 50, as does my aunt, and my 52 year old younger sister has not had a period since June, so I am hopeful that at age 54, it will happen ANY TIME NOW.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    I have no idea when my mom got it as she passed away from cancer a few years ago. I hope I have no reason to go off the pill as I like neither tampons, nor cups. It's just uncomfy for me.
  • ahoy_m8
    edited March 2021
    kimny72 wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »

Ugh, I wish I was still on the pill, hardly had any period at all, no PMS. But I was getting occasional migraines and my gyn was concerned about the over 35 stroke risk. She would've gone along with the newer low low dose pill, but my insurance wouldn't pay for it.

To be fair, I've pretty much stopped getting migraines, and don't want to risk having a stroke, so she was probably right :blush:

FWIW, my GYN said any oral contraceptives were contraindicated for my migraine diagnosis (complex without headache). I had episodic aphasia which was terrifying. I thought I was having a stroke! None since stopping pills. That was a while back, so cannot comment on newer low dose versions. Three cheers for vasectomy -- best birth control ever invented!

ETA: I do consider the aphasia my most serious health problem in my health history even though episodes were years apart. It makes me wonder if HRT would be contraindicated as well.
  • kshama2001
    So I got the shingle vaccine Thursday and starting Friday had every symptom listed by the CDC except for stomach pain (probably because I had no appetite and was eating very little,) including sweats and chills.

I thought I was out of the woods today (Monday) but noticed I was having sweats again, and then thought "WHAT IF I AM FINALLY HAVING HOT FLASHES???"

I'm 54 and have yet to have a hot flash - unless this is that. I guess time will tell!

(It's so funny to be excited about the prospect of hot flashes.)
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    I think I have started having hot flashes. I keep confirming with other people around me, asking if they feel hot. I feel like it comes from inside my chest and throat, out to the rest of my body!
  • ahoy_m8
    Well, ladies... at long last, I am about 30 days out from the 1-year mark, so I am hopeful that “is it over yet” will be YES for me soon. I hear you guys on the hot flashes. Initially I only had them in summer and weirdly right before the AC kicked in so I always wondered: hot flash or just hot? But it did feel to me as leonadixon described. I also had cold flashes which came from inside my chest and I just couldn’t get my core temp up. Honestly, those were more uncomfortable and of longer duration than hot flashes for me. Some days it just feels like my temperature regulation isn’t working. I read some experience hot flashes years after menopause, so I’m not sure what to expect. Regardless it will be a relief to be done with periods. I can identify with everything andimicky says, too.