Calorie Counter

Message Boards Introduce Yourself
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Replies

• forestfreekforestfreek Member Posts: 5,659 Member Member Posts: 5,659 Member
    Good morning everyone :)
    My iPhone went kaput last night so I'm venturing out to get a new phone today. I hate getting used to new technology so this should be fun.....LOL.

@balanc41 - enjoy your day off!
    @AliNouveau - very cool hair:)

Have a great day, all :*
  • AliNouveauAliNouveau Member Posts: 36,288 Member Member Posts: 36,288 Member
    Good morning everyone :)
    My iPhone went kaput last night so I'm venturing out to get a new phone today. I hate getting used to new technology so this should be fun.....LOL.

@balanc41 - enjoy your day off!
    @AliNouveau - very cool hair:)

Have a great day, all :*

Haha it's a filter. But now I'm wondering if I should break my rule of crazy hair colours cause this looks kinda fun
    So I use corn syrup in my butter tarts, similar to pecan pie, and the cookies I made this weekend called for corn syrup too. I always feel guilty using it but really we all probably grew up with it in everything and we turned out ok
  • cgrout78cgrout78 Member, Premium Posts: 1,660 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1,660 Member
    Morning all!! Agreed that corn syrup is the devil, but I'm still alive sooooo *shrugs*. Something's going to kill me, might as well be that.
    @AliNouveau that filter looks super cute, love the pic!!!
    @forestfreek I can only eat Kale in a casserole and broccoli with cheeese, so not sure I'm getting the true benefits of either one
    cgrout78 wrote: »
    Morning all!! Agreed that corn syrup is the devil, but I'm still alive sooooo *shrugs*. Something's going to kill me, might as well be that.
    @forestfreek I can only eat Kale in a casserole and broccoli with cheeese, so not sure I'm getting the true benefits of either one

Fun fact I actually had red hair for high school graduation haha. Decided this was something I wanted to do....haven't since

Ugh kale. It's so popular these days I just can't get into it. Broccoli I love, Brussel sprouts too but kale.... nope
    Good morning, guys.

Hey bakin.... what's Shakin! 🤣😂🤣😂
  • northviewvintagenorthviewvintage Member Posts: 1,921 Member Member Posts: 1,921 Member
    Good morning! I'm not a native southerner, but I don't think the original pecan pies even have corn syrup in them. Isn't that bottled corn syrup better than the high fructose that is in everything anyway, though? I'll give you a southern recipe that I use when I make it at home. ( Pecan pie is my favorite dessert in the world!:D)
    cgrout78 wrote: »

• northviewvintagenorthviewvintage Member Posts: 1,921 Member Member Posts: 1,921 Member
    A little blurry, but these are from a 1951 North Carolina cookbook. :)
    5kfw7xjx79ka.jpg
    f2kkomqwjh07.jpg
    fpz9ylez5ddx.jpg
  • cgrout78cgrout78 Member, Premium Posts: 1,660 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1,660 Member
    that looks pretty authentic to me
  • Diatonic12Diatonic12 Member Posts: 20,766 Member Member Posts: 20,766 Member
    Pecan Pie is an art. You mess anything up and it turns into a watery mess, soggy crust. I've tried and tried and tried. :p
    A little blurry, but these are from a 1951 North Carolina cookbook. :)
    5kfw7xjx79ka.jpg
    f2kkomqwjh07.jpg
    fpz9ylez5ddx.jpg

Yellow sugar. I guess it really is yellow though
    Btw that looks like an awesome book I love old ones like that. My mom has a Mennonite one from her mom, it has instructions for food for a barn raising. I love flipping through it
    edited October 2020
  • _canadianbakin__canadianbakin_ Member Posts: 377 Member Member Posts: 377 Member
    BTW, pecan pie is more of an American thing but I've definitely had it. Sooo so good. I found a Reddit group this morning called old_recipes. Sometimes the oldies are the best.
  • slimgirljo15slimgirljo15 Member, Premium Posts: 251,412 Member Member, Premium Posts: 251,412 Member
    Good morning middle-agers.. well past hump day for me and on the slide in to the weekend.
    bq5ygw10cgea.jpg

Anyone doing anything fun?
    I don't know what yellow sugar is, but I usually use the light brown sugar and a little maple syrup. That Mennonite cookbook sounds great! I was doing some research when the pandemic started, and found out some of my ancestors were Mennonites from Switzerland, haha! :)
    [/quote]

Btw that looks like an awesome book I love old ones like that. My mom has a Mennonite one from her mom, it has instructions for food for a barn raising. I love flipping through it[/quote]

• leos_daddyleos_daddy Member Posts: 9 Member Member Posts: 9 Member
    Hi, I'm Jason. I turn 54 2 weeks from now. Yay, Team Scorpio. I'm more in maintenance mode though I could stand to lose about 5-10 more pounds and gain a bit more muscle. Please feel free to add me.
    I don't know what yellow sugar is, but I usually use the light brown sugar and a little maple syrup. That Mennonite cookbook sounds great! I was doing some research when the pandemic started, and found out some of my ancestors were Mennonites from Switzerland, haha! :)

Btw that looks like an awesome book I love old ones like that. My mom has a Mennonite one from her mom, it has instructions for food for a barn raising. I love flipping through it[/quote]

[/quote]

Sometimes brown sugar here is called golden brown so I guess it's light brown sugar.

That's neat about your ancestors. Always fun to find something like that out
  • willplanet5willplanet5 Member Posts: 13 Member Member Posts: 13 Member
    Turned 40 in August!
  • slimgirljo15slimgirljo15 Member, Premium Posts: 251,412 Member Member, Premium Posts: 251,412 Member
    leos_daddy wrote: »
    Hi, I'm Jason. I turn 54 2 weeks from now. Yay, Team Scorpio. I'm more in maintenance mode though I could stand to lose about 5-10 more pounds and gain a bit more muscle. Please feel free to add me.

Now there's a familiar face.. hi Jason :)