Calorie Counter

Message Boards Introduce Yourself
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Replies

• BadBanditCABadBanditCA Member, Premium Posts: 98 Member Member, Premium Posts: 98 Member
    Happy turkey day all!
    Add me!

• VegjoyPVegjoyP Member Posts: 1,268 Member Member Posts: 1,268 Member
    mshawski wrote: »
    Morning, all! I hope everyone is having a great day.

Small victory on this end - I do small group (now smaller and socially distanced) classes at my local gym and last night is the first time on this journey that I did all the push-ups as real push-ups and none on my knees! I’m a little proud of myself, despite how silly that sounds. The scale was good to me this morning too, but I hesitate to log it the day before Thanksgiving in fear of not seeing it again for a week after the pie tomorrow. Lol.

Im feeling good today, I hope you all are too! 🤗

Nice work!
  • mtaratootmtaratoot Member, Premium Posts: 4,680 Member Member, Premium Posts: 4,680 Member
    Wow looks fab @mtaratoot !

And welcome, @VegjoyP :)

Thanks!

It does look pretty tasty, but it didn't taste as good as it could have. I have some ideas for improvement. Instead of layers of potatoes and onions, I should toss them all together before assembling. I also think a brief roast in the oven or brief saute would be good. I added thyme, but neglected to add rosemary. I think that would brighten it up. It could use just a bit more umami, and maybe sweeter onions if I'm not going to caramelize them before baking. Maybe some miso or brewers yeast would help. Maybe a tiny bit of yellow powdered mustard.

I have a year to work on this recipe with the goal of sharing it at Thanksgiving 2021 when I can sit in the same room with friends and neighbors.

I have a ball of dough left. I cut the dough into two pieces, and I planned to use the big one for the bottom crust. I made both bottom and top from that ball, so I have a little dough left for another experiment tomorrow. Tempeh pot pie. Anyone got a recipe to get me started?
  • LunaTheFatCatLunaTheFatCat Member Posts: 223 Member Member Posts: 223 Member
    See, I really shouldn't be reading these things as Pavlov makes me drool!!

Shark week this week and it's made me particularly hungry but thankfully other than the first day I've been able to keep it under control. Pie descriptions don't help though!

Happy Thanksgiving to all my US friends!
  • mtaratootmtaratoot Member, Premium Posts: 4,680 Member Member, Premium Posts: 4,680 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Wow looks fab @mtaratoot !

And welcome, @VegjoyP :)

Thanks!

It does look pretty tasty, but it didn't taste as good as it could have. I have some ideas for improvement. Instead of layers of potatoes and onions, I should toss them all together before assembling. I also think a brief roast in the oven or brief saute would be good. I added thyme, but neglected to add rosemary. I think that would brighten it up. It could use just a bit more umami, and maybe sweeter onions if I'm not going to caramelize them before baking. Maybe some miso or brewers yeast would help. Maybe a tiny bit of yellow powdered mustard.

I have a year to work on this recipe with the goal of sharing it at Thanksgiving 2021 when I can sit in the same room with friends and neighbors.

I have a ball of dough left. I cut the dough into two pieces, and I planned to use the big one for the bottom crust. I made both bottom and top from that ball, so I have a little dough left for another experiment tomorrow. Tempeh pot pie. Anyone got a recipe to get me started?

Mea culpa. You were talking about the berry pie. That one was pretty tasty. Too sweet, though. I ate most of it the first day, skipped a day, then ate the last piece yesterday.

This was the potato pie
    68e95ehskv9f.jpg

It was actually better reheated yesterday than it was right after it had cooled from the oven. I'll make it again and use a sweet onion or caramelize the onion first.

Happy Thanksgiving if it's part of your celebration.
  • LaneaJLaneaJ Member Posts: 559 Member Member Posts: 559 Member
    Hey y'all. Been on MFP for almost a month now, and thought it was time to officially say Hi. I'm 35 so I guess I've found my people in this thread 😁. It's really encouraging to see all the support on MFP. It doesn't seem to matter where you fall on your fitness journey. If you're trying to get down 100+lbs, bulking up, or somewhere in between; there is someone where you are, and they're cheering you on. Count me in!

My goal is more than just numbers. I do want to lose weight, but my main goal is for my body to be healthier and stronger. For me the scale can say whatever as long as my body is where it needs to be. It helps that I'm on the taller side for a female. Most of my life I've carried a little extra weight and gone through spells of "eating better", and working out. Six years ago I went from a very active job to a sedentary one. I didn't adjust the rest of my life accordingly, and the pounds slowly crept up. I've never taken a long term committed approach to my health, but I've come to a point where I really want to see what my body can become. So here I am tracking, working out, and looking forward to seeing what a stronger healthier me looks and feels like.
  • IAMFFLIAMFFL Member Posts: 58 Member Member Posts: 58 Member
    Hello fellow middle-agers. I hope everyone is doing well. I'm 43 and attempting to age in reverse, Benjamin Button style. I'm ten years into my fitness journey, still learning and going strong. I was previously certified as a PT which I obtained for personal reasons not for employment. With that said, if you have any questions I'll help if I can. Happy Holidays!
  • TonyB0588TonyB0588 Member Posts: 9,521 Member Member Posts: 9,521 Member
    LesField wrote: »
    Just had my gallbladder removed.
    I know I want to loose weight but not by removing bits, peice by peice.....
    vkudgj6x6zn1.jpg

I lost weight when mine was acting up. Never had it removed though. Took an olive oil and lemon juice cleanse, followed by a course of herbal tablets instead.
  • VegjoyPVegjoyP Member Posts: 1,268 Member Member Posts: 1,268 Member
    Any WFPB and/ or vegans ?
  • lisachmitchelllisachmitchell Member Posts: 26 Member Member Posts: 26 Member
    I’m vegan!
    I’m almost 53. This is getting harder...love to connect to motivate!!
  • ndesselsndessels Member Posts: 2 Member Member Posts: 2 Member
    I'm 56. never ever in my life have I been this heavy so I need all the motivation I can get
  • northviewvintagenorthviewvintage Member Posts: 1,895 Member Member Posts: 1,895 Member
    I'm thinking of taking some health courses, too, just for fun. Do you think the online classes are worth it or is it better just to wait and take them in person?
    IAMFFL wrote: »
    Hello fellow middle-agers. I hope everyone is doing well. I'm 43 and attempting to age in reverse, Benjamin Button style. I'm ten years into my fitness journey, still learning and going strong. I was previously certified as a PT which I obtained for personal reasons not for employment. With that said, if you have any questions I'll help if I can. Happy Holidays!

• annliz23annliz23 Member Posts: 1,196 Member Member Posts: 1,196 Member
    This year has been hard but have faith you can do it, I am 58 and have 11 lbs to lose it's slow work but with friends I know I will get there and you can too!
  • foster1503foster1503 Member Posts: 391 Member Member Posts: 391 Member
    I'm 53 in March.
    Done fitness all my life, well from age 16 but wow how the years make it harder
    Aging sucks. Trying to fight it too!!!
  • foster1503foster1503 Member Posts: 391 Member Member Posts: 391 Member
    Aging sucks. Trying to fight it too!!!

Tell me about it. I'm not aging well lol
  • IAMFFLIAMFFL Member Posts: 58 Member Member Posts: 58 Member

You can easily take the course online. The first portion is all from textbook- anatomy, exercise physiology, nutrition, fitness assessment, special considerations, etc. The second portion is hands on (fitness assessment/proper lifting techniques) so I'm not sure how they will accommodate that portion. Once you pass those two portions, you'll have to complete a number of hours interning at a gym. Whether you should take it online depends on your learning style. I prefer the classroom environment because I tend to absorb the material better.
    I'm thinking of taking some health courses, too, just for fun. Do you think the online classes are worth it or is it better just to wait and take them in person?
    IAMFFL wrote: »

My friends tell me I look 10-15 years younger than I am. But I want my health and fitness to match that