The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Replies

• Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    MobiusRift wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm just brilliant at losing weight, sadly I'm even better at regaining it. This time I'm aiming to concentrate on maintenance when the time comes, normally the time when I abandon the MFP world.

Historically, regain has come in the form of emotional eating and in the last few years by osteoarthritis coupled with having give up running (a euphemism for a flatfooted lumber) and triathlon (I enjoyed how you could come last and still have fun) (more emotional eating). When I decide enough is enough, my obsessive character along with zealous calorie counting, works for me. This time my grandkids were the catalyst. Squatting down to play was fine, arthritic knees trying to stand was unsuccessful, painful, and amusing for others.

So this time, 55yrs young, 6'2, I started 55 days ago at 102kg, aiming for 80kg - yes, I've been here many times. I've now down to 93kg. Sticking to 1500cal per day and eating back just a few exercise cals (70-80 minutes weights training, 3 times a week, plus a decrepit yoga that has replaced my shuffling jog).

Anyway, good to meet you guys :)

PS - the resistance work, even this early on has helped my knee mobility no end, though I have to be very careful with loading through the knees.

PPS - I've been here since 2015 and never posted which speaks to what a miserable antisocial @£$% I am :)

T'is the time for the antisocial to shine! I wish you all the best in your latest attempt. I need to get up on that particular wagon again myself
  • mwgibler
    mwgibler Posts: 154 Member
    edited August 2021
    I’m starting over, again. 😂. I’m down 6 lbs. took the official starting pictures (holy crap they’re gross). So here’s to losing weight. Again 😂
  • forestfreek
    forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member
    mwgibler wrote: »
    I’m starting over, again. 😂. I’m down 6 lbs. took the official starting pictures (holy crap they’re gross). So here’s to losing weight. Again 😂

Good luck 😊
  • forestfreek
    Hi all,

I'm just brilliant at losing weight, sadly I'm even better at regaining it. This time I'm aiming to concentrate on maintenance when the time comes, normally the time when I abandon the MFP world.

Historically, regain has come in the form of emotional eating and in the last few years by osteoarthritis coupled with having give up running (a euphemism for a flatfooted lumber) and triathlon (I enjoyed how you could come last and still have fun) (more emotional eating). When I decide enough is enough, my obsessive character along with zealous calorie counting, works for me. This time my grandkids were the catalyst. Squatting down to play was fine, arthritic knees trying to stand was unsuccessful, painful, and amusing for others.

So this time, 55yrs young, 6'2, I started 55 days ago at 102kg, aiming for 80kg - yes, I've been here many times. I've now down to 93kg. Sticking to 1500cal per day and eating back just a few exercise cals (70-80 minutes weights training, 3 times a week, plus a decrepit yoga that has replaced my shuffling jog).

PS - the resistance work, even this early on has helped my knee mobility no end, though I have to be very careful with loading through the knees.

PPS - I've been here since 2015 and never posted which speaks to what a miserable antisocial @£$% I am :)

Well, you antisocial @$&% - I sent you a FR so you don’t have an excuse to be antisocial anymore 😂😂

• GrumpyDumpty
    GrumpyDumpty Posts: 228 Member
    Back again, this time new focus, former member of the 100 pound club, very much up for a laugh. Hoping to run a half marathon for mens mental health charity. Currently day 7 of being sober. My toughest fight yet

Drop me a request
  • cincisk8r
    cincisk8r Posts: 206 Member
    Add me as a friend 🥰
  • kamalsingh101
    kamalsingh101 Posts: 31 Member
    turning 38 this september. Feel free to add me.
    got to loose 66 lbs by the time I am 39
  • forestfreek
    turning 38 this september. Feel free to add me.
    got to loose 66 lbs by the time I am 39
    That’s do-able, for sure. I find the more support you gather on here the better. You still have to find the motivation within yourself to make the changes to succeed but it sure helps when you have a community of people rooting you on and living the same lifestyle.
    Good luck 😊
  • byusuri22
    byusuri22 Posts: 178 Member
    I just turned 44. But, I feel older than that. Hoping things get back to where they were so I can start feeling younger than my age.
  • MyRflctn
    MyRflctn Posts: 6 Member
    Hi, everybody. It’s been years since I’ve been fit, and I’m tired of feeling like I’m dragging myself around, and wanting to look better, prettier, fitter. I’m aiming to create a better life for myself.

Getting fit in my late-30s feels easy compared to now. Within two years, I was 10lbs away from my goal weight, when I up and quit. I wasn’t accustomed to the attention I was suddenly receiving, so I abandoned the lifestyle. I tried to go back a few times since them, but I could never get back that high I got after a workout, where I wanted to do more. Eventually, I started eating mom’s banana bread, and I ballooned up to 84kg. I never realized it until I saw my picture one day. That was hard to register.

I’m 53, 5’-6”, and I started MyFitness this week at 79.1kg. My goal is to get down to 66kg, make a lifestyle change, learn more about nutrition, and exercise smartly 5 to 6-days a week - eventually. I’m a childhood brain cancer survivor. I was often made fun of and bullied as a child, and didn’t have any self confidence as an adult.

I’m finally in that place where I believe in who I am. I’m ready to get control of my life and tackle my fears.

My first week is almost over, and I can’t wait to check the scale and see if there is any difference.

I look forward going on this journey with the rest of you! 😀
  • RA_Warrior
    RA_Warrior Posts: 29 Member
    Hi all,

Thank you for the smile. I have 10 times more to lose, so I won't even bother sending you a friend request. Just know this huge whale is routing for you (and me.) I don't know if I will even be able to work out. I have some health issues. All the best!
  • RA_Warrior
    RA_Warrior Posts: 29 Member
    Back again, this time new focus, a former member of the 100 pound club, very much up for a laugh. Hoping to run a half marathon for mens mental health charity. Currently day 7 of being sober. My toughest fight yet

Drop me a request

There is a 100 club? Is there a 175 club too? Being sober for 7 days is great. You rock!

I gave up smoking 7 years ago, drinking 5 years ago. I quit being bulimic 2 years ago (gained weight like crazy). Now I am on my last mission and then I am perfect. :-) Eight pounds down. 3-day streak. I am unstoppable :wink:

Stay sober please!
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,167 Member
    Hi all,

Ugh I hear you sir...it's easier to lose than maintain. I got to my goal and I'm on vacation and I'm sure I've gained it all back

Anyway I'm hoping your name is a riff on Mobius strip? We like to go to a park where there's a Mobius strip sculpture and I always say to my son that's that thing that is a thing. Then he follows it around with him finger, rolling his eyes cause he's a teen saying Mobius strip?!!!
  • Bx3714
    Bx3714 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello 😊 new here!
    My goal is to lose 28lbs but really I just want to be healthier, fitter and more than anything help my mental health issues!! I’m a full time mum to 7 year old twins and I just want to be able to function as a ‘me’ I can be proud of for them! 💕 Been struggling with various anxiety disorders and now determined to try anything and everything to get healthier! I’m not giving in this time!! 💪 x
  • pamswoods191
    pamswoods191 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello! Getting ready to be an empty nester next week so I've decided it's time to start a new eating lifestyle. I'm looking forward to the support.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,549 Member
    Hey all! I'm Linda and am 38 (soon to be 39 next month) mom of 1 daughter. We live in SC and I've been on mfp what seems forever. I love to find friends that actually log in, comment on posts or post what they have going on in their own lives. I have PCOS & diet/exercise controlled type 2 diabetes so logging and tracking are a big part of my world. I also write a blog every 2 weeks or so with recipe swaps, food finds, etc.

I do a lot of walking when I can and often try to get to Zumba a couple times a week. I have a YMCA membership but don't use the gym as often as I should.... shame on me. My husband and daughter are my whole world except when I'm reading a good novel, then I fall into that world and need them all to leave me alone. LOL.

If you would like an active mfp friend feel free to add me.
  • MobiusRift
    MobiusRift Posts: 18 Member
    Hi all,

Anyway I'm hoping your name is a riff on Mobius strip? We like to go to a park where there's a Mobius strip sculpture and I always say to my son that's that thing that is a thing. Then he follows it around with him finger, rolling his eyes cause he's a teen saying Mobius strip?!!!

Hiya, yes you got it in one, a bit of an oxymoron as well :smiley:
  • MobiusRift
    MobiusRift Posts: 18 Member
    Hello! Getting ready to be an empty nester next week so I've decided it's time to start a new eating lifestyle. I'm looking forward to the support.

Good luck and welcome :smile:
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    edited August 2021
    Hey Middle-agers.. its been a while , hope you're all doing ok. :)
    Nice to see all the new faces and some regulars