The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,945 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Hey hey hey! Just checking in. Got out of town for a couple of days. Some R&R in the hot springs and catching up on sleep. Ready for whatever comes next. 😁

Which are your go-to hot springs? I know there's quite a few in your neighborhood. I always wanted to get up to Atlanta, and the one time I was near there the road was cerrado.

I went to Lava Hot Springs in eastern Idaho. It was enjoyable, but commercialized. I go to Kirkham near Lowman or some of the hot springs on the South Fork of the Salmon for a more primitive experience.

I

When I lived in Logan, we used to go to Lava Hot Springs every now and then. Memories! I've soaked in Kirkham when I was spending a week doing paddling day-trips on the Payette a few years. We used to alternate a Payette and a Lochsa trip in years we didn't get permits for permitted rivers.
  • alkues
    alkues Posts: 30 Member
    Good morning! I just wanted to introduce myself. I had to take a break from myfitness over the past year as I had a bit of a rough go health wise. (make sure you read this in more of an upbeat tone as I assure you I am not wallowing in self pity!!) Covid did a number on my lungs (yes, even with vaccine), then a flare up with a lifelong genetic autoimmune issue (probably triggered by covid) all neatly rounded out by an arm injury (Eastcoast girl here on a boogie board in the Pacific....). Anyway, I've lost some muscle tone and gained a few pounds but am finally in a spot to tackle it. Surprisingly, I didn't gain too much. I just need to shed about 10 pounds. But I've gone from running 4-5 miles/day, weight lifting and yoga to basically just getting the dogs out for a short walk and just trying to stay active with the kids. So my goal is to focus on nutrition and lose those extra pounds while also easing into a more structured workout routine (keeping in mind that my arm isn't quite 100% yet.

So if anyone wants to add me as a friend, please do!! I'm a great cheerleader and could use a little motivation myself.

Thx!!
  • mtaratoot
    Welcome back @alkues

It sounds like you're a fighter. I have no doubt you'll pick back up where you left off, slowly get rid of those few extra pounds, and eventually get back to the activity level you miss. Ain't those last ten pounds the hardest? Yeah. They sure are.

• Carried_aw4y
    Carried_aw4y Posts: 44 Member
    41 y/o Canadian here. Feel free to add me. I’m always wanting to meet new friends and get to know them. :)
  • Quggin
    Quggin Posts: 17 Member
    Hello all! I'm a 52 y/o currently living in Virginia, working in DC. Dealing with chronic kidney disease and a family history of heart disease. Working on losing the weight I've already lost before. Again. Happy to accept friend requests.
  • wheels1872
    wheels1872 Posts: 65 Member
    35 year old from the uk
  • GrumpyDumpty
    GrumpyDumpty Posts: 228 Member
    Hey all. I'm needing help, motivation, inspiration. I'm a new dad for the second time, my diet and exercise is non existent. I've previously gone from 20st (280 pounds) to 11st (154 pounds) this was dine crash dieting, totally unhealthy and ofcourse the weight piled back on.

I am currently 251 days sober, and I have a half marathon coming up in October. I want to be able to finish this without stopping.

I want to be healthy enough to run around after my kids. I find it hard to diet and keep dieting with so much temptation, I guess I'm lazy and full of excuses. But I want this time to my final time. Height is 5 foot 8 (172cm)

Weight 16 stone 6 (104kg,230 pounds)

I've got my fitness pal, but no exercise equipment. I plan on running

I need a starting point, some help and a plan. Can anyone help please?
  • baruchyah
    baruchyah Posts: 2 Member
    43. Will be 44 in September. Been a member for a long time but today is my first time posting. Getting started and not seeing results right away lead me to giving up. Getting older doesn't help. Also, I have no sense of time. I think I've been doing something longer than I actually have so that throws off my expectations. I'm constantly starting and stopping which of course keeps me in the same place. I'm hoping by posting and putting this out there that I'll be held accountable. If not by anyone else, by myself. Just looking for a change and hopefully this will be the start.
  • mtaratoot
    @Grumpy_Hubby
    Hey all. I'm needing help, motivation, inspiration.

I want to be healthy enough to run around after my kids. I find it hard to diet and keep dieting with so much temptation

I've got my fitness pal, but no exercise equipment. I plan on running

I need a starting point, some help and a plan. Can anyone help please?

You've already got a starting point - it's right here! The best time to start is RIGHT NOW, so it's good that you're getting started.

Now that you're started, it's time to set goals. What are yours? They should be challenging but attainable, and they should be measurable. It sounds like one of your goals might be simply to lose weight. Make that goal more specific, like lose one pound per week - about 0.5% of your current weight. That's very possible to do, and it's not too fast. Take the long view.

Use the guided set-up on My Fitness Pal to figure out a good starting place for a calorie target that includes a loss of one pound per week, then log all your food completely and honestly. Stick to your goal, but don't stress too much about it. A goal to lose one pound a week means a daily calorie deficit of 500 calories. If you go 100 calories over that goal, you're still in a 400 calorie deficit that day, so you'll still lose weight just more slowly. Slow is good.

Temptations. Yeah. There's going to be those. You will have to develop your delayed gratification. You also can enjoy any food you like, just do it in small enough quantities to support your goals! There may be foods you have to keep away from for a while. For me it was potato chips and cheeses. I'm at a place where I can enjoy them more moderately now.

Have you already been running? Ease into it. Walking is also good activity, especially brisk walking. It's easier on the body, but it takes longer to go the same distance and burn the same calories. I've come to really enjoy walking.

As for tips, the best few I can think of for starting out are:
    • Plan to go slow. If you are trying to lose weight, remember you didn't gain it in a month or a year; take the slow route to help assure success. Then it will be easier to maintain when you reach goal.
    • Don't plan any strategies you aren't willing to continue indefinitely. Only do things that are sustainable in the long run.
    • Plan on having a reasonable calorie deficit, on average, each week. Best if you can manage a small deficit each day, but if you miss a day, don't fret. Just keep going forward. Stick to it.
    • Yeah, that's it's own point: STICK TO IT!
    • Set reasonable but challenging goals. Set long-term and short term goals. What are some specific goals you have set for yourself?
    • Check in often. Don't stress if the scale is up for the day. Look over the long term trend; weight loss is not linear. You'll have up and down days. Over time, if you maintain a deficit, you'll trend down.
    • Exercise is very healthy for fitness. It can contribute to a calorie deficit and aid in weight management. You still must manage your food intake to assure a calorie deficit. Logging your food and your activity in MFP will help you get an idea how to slowly adjust your target for success.
  • Trabsiwel5439
    Trabsiwel5439 Posts: 8 Member
    B)
  • nickipick8169
    nickipick8169 Posts: 12 Member
    Hi all! 40 next month! 😬 My body is definitely changing and it's so much harder to keep weight off! 😣
  • NotSoFat7O
    NotSoFat7O Posts: 7 Member
    Hi all! 40 next month! 😬 My body is definitely changing and it's so much harder to keep weight off! 😣

If you think it's bad at 40 ,just wait til you're 53 😛... Actually , I'm in better shape and feel better at 53 than I did a decade ago💪 . Mind over matter! 🤟 Keep at it
  • nickipick8169
    nickipick8169 Posts: 12 Member
    NotSoFat7O wrote: »

If you think it's bad at 40 ,just wait til you're 53 😛... Actually , I'm in better shape and feel better at 53 than I did a decade ago💪 . Mind over matter! 🤟 Keep at it

Lol!
    Thanks, and good for you! I hope I can say the same at that point. 🙂
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,691 Member
    My 20's me would have been able to run circles around my present age 46 me, but I'm as strong or stronger than at any point in my life, so if I ever get my hands on the little bugger, I will turn him into a pretzel!

...great, now I want a pretzel, and it's almost dinner time...
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,127 Member
    If you’re a runner or cyclist looking for someone to make you look good, feel free to add me. lol

If someone just squeaks out over the top can they stay in as an emeritus "middle-ager?"

Asking for a friend.
    :)
  • mtaratoot
    If you’re a runner or cyclist looking for someone to make you look good, feel free to add me. lol

If someone just squeaks out over the top can they stay in as an emeritus "middle-ager?"

Asking for a friend.
    :)

I say you can stay middle age as long as you want. Hell, I was 36 for maybe a dozen years until I decided I would be 42 for a while. Still am no matter what the calendar says.
  • csmcozart
    csmcozart Posts: 50 Member
    I’m back after a hiatus. Started CrossFit at 48 and quickly found that I had to track my food/macros after hitting a wall during the workouts over the first week. I’m open to advice on nutrition and general discussions as we support one another. Feel free to add as a friend if you’d like. I’ll need motivation.
  • Madistic
    Madistic Posts: 4 Member
    hi i am 35
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member
    Hi everyone!
    Been back at it consistently since this last Nov but this time around it sure seems to feel like it is taking a long time to see results. I am blaming it on my age. :D Please feel free to add me! I love to support my friends and I could definitely use the support and some inspiration.
  • carolinelittle
    carolinelittle Posts: 45 Member
    Hi! Looking to expand my friends list here. I'm active daily. I'm nearly 51, had a gastric sleeve in May and have lost 25 kgs so far. Still lots to go. Please send me a friend request! <3