The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Replies

• aamatz
    aamatz Posts: 5 Member
    I’m 46. I was a very active athlete until about 5 years ago. I had one kid. Then another. I put on a bunch of sympathy weight (which, in a huge surprise to me, only comes off of the one that’s breastfeeding). So I was out of shape and overweight. But I’m an athlete, so I went to the trampoline place with my 4 year old. I strained my back, was sweating through all of my clothes, and was sore for three days. Enough. Now I’ve been back in the gym and eating a more reasonable diet for about 2 months. I’ve dropped 15 pounds and I feel much better, but it isn’t easy at this age. I knew it wouldn’t be, but that knowledge is a little depressing in and of itself. Getting old sucks, but I’m determined to get into the best shape of my life. I’d like to lose another 15-20 pounds, but I think I’m going to need some help. Hopefully I’ll find some of it here. Thanks.
  • NoHookUpZone
    NoHookUpZone Posts: 1,531 Member
    Welcome to all the new comers. Good luck on your journey!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    aamatz wrote: »
    I’ve dropped 15 pounds and I feel much better, but it isn’t easy at this age. I knew it wouldn’t be, but that knowledge is a little depressing in and of itself. Getting old sucks, but I’m determined to get into the best shape of my life. I’d like to lose another 15-20 pounds, but I think I’m going to need some help. Hopefully I’ll find some of it here. Thanks.

I've got almost 20 years on you. I wish I had started when I was younger. No matter - water under the bridge at this point. I have always been a walker and hiker, but an intermittent gym rat. Overweight most of my life - I'm 5' 10" and weighed anywhere from 210 to 250 (probably more) pounds. I started free weight lifting workouts when I was 58. Had some blood pressure issues in 2016 and started a weight loss program then. Have lost 50 pounds and kept it off for two years. Working on slowly losing another 15-20 pounds.

When I start thinking "Getting old sucks", I remember that not everyone gets to enjoy aging long and gracefully. Yesterday I went to a memorial service for a cousin who was a year younger than me. That really brought it home for me.

You can do this. MFP is a great resource and source of motivation and inspiration for me. You're in the right place. Sending a friend request.
  • aamatz
    aamatz Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you! I know that it’s all relative, and that it doesn’t get any easier, it’s just that the last time I needed to get in shape it was significantly easier. The one blessing that this knowlege gives is that I know now that I have to do this for the rest of my life. No breaks. Eat better. Exercise. Try to see my kids into adulthood. Maybe even meet a grandchild. I can dream.

It sounds like you’ve done a fantastic job. That’s great inspiration. Congratulations!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,156 Member
    You can do this. MFP is a great resource and source of motivation and inspiration for me. You're in the right place. Sending a friend request.

So can YOU Steve. But you don't need me to say it. You already KNOW it. And you are DOING it. You may not realize you inspire us young 'uns (I have been 36 for 16 years).

To the "Getting Old Sucks" idea -- the alternative is pretty bad, too. I've lost three too-young friends in the last six weeks. Now THAT sucks for everyone left to remember how wonderful they were. Enjoy the afternoon - nobody is guaranteed five o'clock.

• alteredsteve175
    mtaratoot wrote: »

So can YOU Steve. But you don't need me to say it. You already KNOW it. And you are DOING it. You may not realize you inspire us young 'uns (I have been 36 for 16 years).

To the "Getting Old Sucks" idea -- the alternative is pretty bad, too. I've lost three too-young friends in the last six weeks. Now THAT sucks for everyone left to remember how wonderful they were. Enjoy the afternoon - nobody is guaranteed five o'clock.

Thanks for the pep talk, Mark. Good to hear that I'm inspiring to someone. I have not been working out much lately - and I am holding in the 195 lb. neighborhood, so I rationalize that maintenance is ok. Time to kick my own *kitten* and get with the program. Been busy with the pup, but I could do stuff at home. Woulda coulda shoulda. >:) Gonna! o:)

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,156 Member
    <snip>
    Woulda coulda shoulda. >:) Gonna! o:)

So, uh.... you KNOW I'm going to poke you in the side if you don't, right? But I know that won't be necessary. Full steam ahead towards a fabulous fall!
  • joannec3051
    joannec3051 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi I have just started myself and was wondering if there’s any ladies going through menopause on this journey
  • rubyrainlily
    rubyrainlily Posts: 4 Member
    please add me.. 39 years old.. I have no friends :D
  • joannec3051
    joannec3051 Posts: 2 Member
    I would but I don’t know how lol
  • orangequilt
    orangequilt Posts: 4,170 Member
    Hi I have just started myself and was wondering if there’s any ladies going through menopause on this journey

Yep! Feel free to add me! I think there's a whole menopause thread somewhere.
  • Gems_Journey_
    Gems_Journey_ Posts: 36 Member
    Hey 👋🏻 I’m 36 and from the UK 🇬🇧
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,159 Member
    Middle-aged bloke from the UK
  • Slappy74
    Slappy74 Posts: 113 Member
    Happy Tuesday all. Hope everyone is well.

My current schedule is keeping me from getting my workouts in. Really frustrating me. I hope I can figure something out soon, because I had a routine going. I feel it slipping away now.😡
  • HamptonsGuy
    HamptonsGuy Posts: 72 Member
    Rounding out the top at 59. As my dad used to say "I do not feel as old as I am". So down to do Plyo I go! Restarted after life got in the way, in a big way, and I took 6 months off. No back at it. I want my body back when I turn the big 60...
  • BexB42
    BexB42 Posts: 32 Member
    Turning 47 in a couple months and started taking fitness seriously within the last 2 years. I had gotten so heavy I couldn't tie my own shoes (humiliating) and sweat walking down the driveway. Now dancing, walking daily, even if it is at my new job. DOwn 35 pounds but have at least 50 to go. I am real, honest, a mother of grown kids, I love to eat but cut my portions, which also saves money. #frugalfitness is my favorite hashtag. Add me if you all want. I am not here for hookups or dating, which I feel the need to state after a guy decided to try some funny business. When I ask if people want to go for a hike/walk, I mean a hike or walk, ok?! Thanks!
    ^v^
  • alteredsteve175
    please add me.. 39 years old.. I have no friends :D
    I would but I don’t know how lol

To add friends on MFP:

1) Click on the username in the left sidebar. A window showing the username will open.
    2) Click on the username again. The user's profile will open.
    3) Click on the "Add Friend" button on the user's profile page. There is an option to send a message along with the request. That's always a good idea - just a short note mentioning where you saw the user, some common interests or goals, etc.

• na44
    na44 Posts: 5 Member
    ALL - This is my first MFP post in about...10 years. I'm finally ready to lose my 100 lbs. It just feels different this time. I am open to the idea of being involved in the community, but I can be overwhelmed by the sheer volume of people and posts. I would like my efforts to be meaningful for me and for those I am in contact with. I think I am mostly looking for a team. A small group of people who become important to each other and who can really commit to the team. I'm not even sure if this is a good place to post this request, but it seemed like the thread that might most likely fit what I was looking for. I'm not sure the best way to accomplish this or if anyone is interested. Let me know. I am even thinking perhaps we take the small group off of the MFP to texting or some other form of contact that is a little more personal.

A few things about me -

* 38, female, Utah
    * 5'6", 246 lbs
    * Goal is: 145 lbs-150lbs-ish
    * I work as an accountant at a University.
    * I'm going to school for my Master's at night.
    * Married, 1 teenage stepson lives with us 100% of the time.
    * 1 Golden Retriver/Irish Setter mix
    * I love food, cooking, gardening.
    * I like to spend time in the mountains.
    * I am striving to track all my meals.
    * Weights - MWF
    * Bike/Elliptical - TuTh
    * Long Walk & Yoga - SatSu
    * I can't weigh-in every week. It creates disordered eating behaviors.
    * Weigh-in every 6 weeks.
    * No firm date to finish my weight loss, but within 3 years when I am finished with my Master's seems nice.
  • T1G3RBL00D
    T1G3RBL00D Posts: 8 Member
    I turn 42 in December. Ive recently rejoined after being here a few years back. I lost about 130 pounds last time, life circumstances got the best of me over the last year and I've put some back on. Starting to get my mojo back, and im looking for some friends to support and be supported along the way. Everyone feel free to add me!
  • USAFProud
    USAFProud Posts: 1,293 Member
    T1G3RBL00D wrote: »
    I turn 42 in December. Ive recently rejoined after being here a few years back. I lost about 130 pounds last time, life circumstances got the best of me over the last year and I've put some back on. Starting to get my mojo back, and im looking for some friends to support and be supported along the way. Everyone feel free to add me!

Great work in the intial 130; that’s amazing!!
    If you did that I’m sure you’re gonna be right back there kicking BUTT!