The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Replies

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    MrThin13 wrote: »
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    You know you're old when you trip going down your outside front stairs and land on your walk way skinning both your knees. At least my shoulder seems ok cgh5c04303il.jpg

Ouch!!!! I hope you feel better soon.

Yes getting old hurts.

Thanks. Luckily in that split second while you realize what's about to happen I guess I veered left to protect my recently repaired shoulder. Oddly my shoulder now feels a bit looser and somewhat better. Maybe it's the advil I took for the knees which are swelling up. Sadly my cupcakes are ruined
  • AliNouveau
    IslandGal3 wrote: »
    You know you're old when you trip going down your outside front stairs and land on your walk way skinning both your knees. At least my shoulder seems ok cgh5c04303il.jpg

Ouch. Glad it wasn't worse.

Me too just two very sore knees and one sore hand
  • TomFit18
    TomFit18 Posts: 2,581 Member
    Good morning peeps....lets enjoy the week ahead!
  • steeliebob
    steeliebob Posts: 55 Member
    nh24wf63vib7.jpg Here we go!! Short week gang!!! Be good for a few days, most of us are going to blow it Thursday.... And that's fine, let's kick buns before and do our best to come out of week in good shape!
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member

Yes getting old hurts.

ouch!! sorry to hear

Morning all...happy Monday :)

rainy and cold here in Jersey yesterday ....my 16yr old started a new volunteer position at a senior living home
    I was supposed to pick him up at 4:00 but he was MIA..so waited in my car outside...he finally came out at 4:45....He lost track of time because he was playing gin rummy with seniors..LOL...

Came home and watched football....
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    edited November 2019
    definitely going to blow it Thursday. Thanksgiving dinner is at my house, so I took the time to build my recipes into the app to get an idea of what dinner would be. Ouch! turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, broccoli casserole, roasted vegetables, 2 rolls, and 1 slice of pumpkin pie are a whopping 1600 calories - and that's AFTER doctoring the recipes as much as I could to include splenda, less butter, etc. And let's forget my grandmother's sweet potato casserole - that, even after swapping out the butter for lower calorie margarine and the sugar for splenda, still comes in at a whopping 350 calories per serving, which is actually about half the size that grandma served herself. Yikes!

And to think - Grandma used to serve all this and more when I was a kid!

which is actually quite ironic, when I think about it - this particular Grandmother used to harp all the time on our weight; it got to the point where we dreaded going to see her because we knew at some point in the conversation, she was going to point how heavy my brother and sister and I were. And yet she was making 2,000+ calories meals for the family!

Anyway, since I do know now how much each item is going to be calorie-wise, that knowledge might help me keep in check some, I hope. And if I make sure I have a very small breakfast, and that just to help me keep from picking while making all the dishes, I will hopefully at least stay within maintenance calories......we'll see, anyway.
  • AliNouveau
    kimber0607 wrote: »

Yes getting old hurts.

ouch!! sorry to hear

rainy and cold here in Jersey yesterday ....my 16yr old started a new volunteer position at a senior living home
    I was supposed to pick him up at 4:00 but he was MIA..so waited in my car outside...he finally came out at 4:45....He lost track of time because he was playing gin rummy with seniors..LOL...

Omg how awesome. I guess he enjoyed his volunteering and I bet they loved having him there. What a sweet story
  • AliNouveau
    definitely going to blow it Thursday. Thanksgiving dinner is at my house, so I took the time to build my recipes into the app to get an idea of what dinner would be. Ouch! turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, broccoli casserole, roasted vegetables, 2 rolls, and 1 slice of pumpkin pie are a whopping 1600 calories - and that's AFTER doctoring the recipes as much as I could to include splenda, less butter, etc. And let's forget my grandmother's sweet potato casserole - that, even after swapping out the butter for lower calorie margarine and the sugar for splenda, still comes in at a whopping 350 calories per serving, which is actually about half the size that grandma served herself. Yikes!

And to think - Grandma used to serve all this and more when I was a kid!

which is actually quite ironic, when I think about it - this particular Grandmother used to harp all the time on our weight; it got to the point where we dreaded going to see her because we knew at some point in the conversation, she was going to point how heavy my brother and sister and I were. And yet she was making 2,000+ calories meals for the family!

Anyway, since I do know now how much each item is going to be calorie-wise, that knowledge might help me keep in check some, I hope. And if I make sure I have a very small breakfast, and that just to help me keep from picking while making all the dishes, I will hopefully at least stay within maintenance calories......we'll see, anyway.

It's Thanksgiving and only one day to indulge.

I guess grandma back then just saw weight and didn't understand calories in. Haha. She probably just figured they were lazy

Enjoy your dinner
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member

Yes getting old hurts.

ouch!! sorry to hear

Omg how awesome. I guess he enjoyed his volunteering and I bet they loved having him there. What a sweet story

It really was cute..He had a big smile on his face when he came out... really enjoyed his time there...he helped with snacks/ getting drinks for the seniors etc
    He loves books so he started volunteering at the local library but it fizzled out and they didn't have much for him to do...

My daughter who will be 15 in April wants to volunteer with a local dog organization peace for paws...something like that LOL

How knees feeling today?
    Hope you feel better soon
    Im still dealing with my eyes...call the Dre on Wed to let him know how things look (not good)

• clord2
    clord2 Posts: 413 Member
    Good morning everyone. I'm so glad it's a short week. I hope everyone has a good one!
  • AliNouveau

Yes getting old hurts.

ouch!! sorry to hear

It really was cute..He had a big smile on his face when he came out... really enjoyed his time there...he helped with snacks/ getting drinks for the seniors etc
    He loves books so he started volunteering at the local library but it fizzled out and they didn't have much for him to do...

My daughter who will be 15 in April wants to volunteer with a local dog organization peace for paws...something like that LOL

How knees feeling today?
    Hope you feel better soon
    Im still dealing with my eyes...call the Dre on Wed to let him know how things look (not good)

I hope the eyes get resolved
    It's sweet your son had such a good time
    The knees are tender but I bandaged them. My shoulder seems fine so that is all that matters
  • AliNouveau
    Omg I just did my range of motion exercises and I'm practically there at full range!!!!! This makes me very excited as it was feeling stiff today
  • wagmtcocom_pb
    wagmtcocom_pb Posts: 11 Member

Ouch...
  • wagmtcocom_pb
    wagmtcocom_pb Posts: 11 Member
    I did Thanksgiving this weekend. OMG to much food to ignore...Hmmm maybe thats my problem EATING large meals at holiday time.
  • AliNouveau
    IslandGal3 wrote: »
    Omg I just did my range of motion exercises and I'm practically there at full range!!!!! This makes me very excited as it was feeling stiff today

That's great news!

I think this means I get to start strengthening it!!! I'm very excited
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,114 Member
    steeliebob wrote: »
    nh24wf63vib7.jpg Here we go!! Short week gang!!! Be good for a few days, most of us are going to blow it Thursday.... And that's fine, let's kick buns before and do our best to come out of week in good shape!

I am one of the rare folks who like Mondays; I am off two of three of them, and the other I get to volunteer at an aquarium! I get to enjoy the strong coffee, though. Just more relaxed than my work days which are longer since there are fewer of them. I like my schedule, though. Three day weekends are civilized.
  • AliNouveau
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    steeliebob wrote: »

I am one of the rare folks who like Mondays; I am off two of three of them, and the other I get to volunteer at an aquarium! I get to enjoy the strong coffee, though. Just more relaxed than my work days which are longer since there are fewer of them. I like my schedule, though. Three day weekends are civilized.

I like Monday's too. It's the start of a new week and I get my time back to me and can do as I wish which means go to the grocery store by myself haha
  • bmeadows380

three day weekends are wonderful! My employer just this summer started offering flexible work schedules, though the operating unit I work in reluctantly implemented it. I say reluctantly because of the restrictions they enacted that were above and beyond the corporate policy, the worst being that we can't work a 4-10 or 9-80 and take Friday off; they claimed it was to make sure we had coverage for Friday. My thoughts are that okay, we take the flexibility of 5 days and shrink it to 4 - hows that supposed to help availability?

Anyway, since I couldn't take Friday's, I chose to take Mondays to get that 3 day weekend. I'm working the 9-80, so its every other Monday off - that gives me some extra time above and beyond my vacation limit, which is really nice, especially in scheduling appointments, not to mention having a 4 day work week every other week :)
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,114 Member
    When I went on my schedule, I didn't know if I'd be able to do ten hour days. Now I won't go back! What I wanted to do was work 4/5 x9. Nine hour days. Four days one week. Five days the alternate week. The fifth work day is only eight hours instead of nine. My boss was exempt, and HE went on that schedule. I couldn't because we couldn't figure out how to make the time sheet work without me going short on hours every other week and earning overtime the other weeks. I finally found out how to make it work, but I'm staying on 10s. The way to make it work is to start your work WEEK at noon on your flex day. That way the first four hours are "last week" and the last four are "next week." The math works. I like my ten hour days now. Well.... I like my three-day weekend. Now I couldn't do the 4/5 x 9 because of my schedule at the aquarium. I'd have to burn a day off every six weeks to volunteer.

My shop puts our crews on 4x10 during the summer season, typically Memorial Day through Labor Day. It's too many hours of dark during the winter for those doing outdoor work, and they switch back. One thing they do is make sure some people have Monday and some have Friday off. We always have coverage. Some work groups have even figured out how to allow SOME of the crew to switch to 10s and the others stay on 5x8.

The reason I opted for Monday was from some advice from a friend who had that schedule. He said it's great because you get the same Friday as most other people, and that's a happy day. But Mondays are GREAT. The grocery and gym are both a lot less crowded. In five years, every day will be Saturday. That's the only better schedule that 4x10.

Almost done with my strong coffee and about to head to the grocery and gym.
  • bmeadows380
    When I went on my schedule, I didn't know if I'd be able to do ten hour days. Now I won't go back! What I wanted to do was work 4/5 x9. Nine hour days. Four days one week. Five days the alternate week. The fifth work day is only eight hours instead of nine. My boss was exempt, and HE went on that schedule. I couldn't because we couldn't figure out how to make the time sheet work without me going short on hours every other week and earning overtime the other weeks. I finally found out how to make it work, but I'm staying on 10s. The way to make it work is to start your work WEEK at noon on your flex day. That way the first four hours are "last week" and the last four are "next week." The math works. I like my ten hour days now. Well.... I like my three-day weekend. Now I couldn't do the 4/5 x 9 because of my schedule at the aquarium. I'd have to burn a day off every six weeks to volunteer.

My shop puts our crews on 4x10 during the summer season, typically Memorial Day through Labor Day. It's too many hours of dark during the winter for those doing outdoor work, and they switch back. One thing they do is make sure some people have Monday and some have Friday off. We always have coverage. Some work groups have even figured out how to allow SOME of the crew to switch to 10s and the others stay on 5x8.

The reason I opted for Monday was from some advice from a friend who had that schedule. He said it's great because you get the same Friday as most other people, and that's a happy day. But Mondays are GREAT. The grocery and gym are both a lot less crowded. In five years, every day will be Saturday. That's the only better schedule that 4x10.

Almost done with my strong coffee and about to head to the grocery and gym.

The 4/5x9 thing is exactly what I'm working now. I had that at my first job out of college, but when i switched to this company, it wasn't available.

the coverage thing is what gets me. Lots of companies have the flexible schedule and have it all worked out to make sure they have coverage, so I don't know why my company can't figure it out - or won't even listen to the employees who already had it worked out for them! The union guys have been doing it for years; they work 4x10, but alternate their days off to get a Friday and a Monday, giving them a 4 day weekend ever other weekend. Half the crew gets one weekend and the other half gets the other, and this way they have adequate coverage on the light days and enough days in the middle of the week to cover anything heavier.

My employer's excuse was that people would take the Friday and then leave town and wouldn't be available if needed. My best friend works for AEP and they have flexible schedules and their answer, besides adjusting the shifts so that they have the coverage they need, is to have their employees be "on call" one weekend a month where they agree to remain in town and come in if needed. Otherwise, their time is their own.

My company, however, hasn't figured that out yet. Personally, I think its because we still have a lot of folks in upper management who want things to stay the same way they've always been and who look down on the things that are important to the younger generation, such as quality of life outside the office.