The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Replies

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Guess what I'm getting for Christmas?!?! A new furnace that isn't slowly poisoning us with CO2!!! Found out today our furnace is not good at all. It will be a chilly weekend in the house but st least we'll be safe

Hope you all have a great Thursday
  • JTTX99
    JTTX99 Posts: 13 Member
    Good morning! I thought I would try to be a little more active in the forum and make some new friends. I'm JT and i'm 50ish.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    Guess what I'm getting for Christmas?!?! A new furnace that isn't slowly poisoning us with CO2!!! Found out today our furnace is not good at all. It will be a chilly weekend in the house but st least we'll be safe

The ability to breathe is a wonderful gift...
  • AliNouveau
    oocdc2 wrote: »

The ability to breathe is a wonderful gift...

Breathe without potentially dying. We've always been able to breathe! We'll have a chilly few days but hey we're Canadian we can handle it
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member

that sounds like my best friend. She had to switch apartments back in August because of a building fire at her old apartment. I helped move her in and stayed to wait on the utilities. The gas company tagged her furnace as unsafe because whoever had installed the thing had cut the black gas pipe too short to take it all the way to the furnace connection and had instead used flexible hose to connect. The gas company technician said that was a completely unsafe condition and was a gas leak and possible explosion hazard because the vibration of the furnace while running can cause the thin metal of the flex line to deteriorate and leak. So he turned the gas valve off and tagged it with a big tag.

I called the apartment management firm to tell that that it needed fixed and even sent them pictures at their request. Its now December and they still have not fixed it and won't acknowledge my friend's attempts to contact them about it. And since the gas company was not notified that it had been fixed, they threatened to cut the gas off to the apartment until they received such notification! The roommate got around having her gas cut off completely (she also has a gas stove and gas hot water heater) but she still can't use the furnace.

But that property management firm are a bunch of slum lords anyway. She can't wait until her lease is up in the spring so she can move. meanwhile, she's learned to live with cooler temps and since she's started menopause, she wants it cooler anyway - she doesn't mind if it gets down to 55 in the house right now, so she's making due with space heaters to keep it warm enough for her without triggering heat flashes and night sweats. Thankfully, she's in a city in WV that is lower in altitude and doesn't usually get the really cold temperatures, so she may be able to make it without using the furnace at all, but its ridiculous that they won't fix it!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    @AliNouveau - Glad you discovered the defective furnace before anyone was injured or worse. A good reminder to everyone to install a carbon monoxide detector in your house along with smoke detectors. They save lives everyday.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,125 Member

Probably CO (carbon monoxide) rather than CO2 (carbon dioxide). The furnace should produce CO2 and water, but they can (and do) also create some CO. They will both kill you, but they act very differently.

When you hold your breath, you don't get the urge to breathe again from getting low on oxygen, but from a high concentration of CO2. I have had some issues of not breathing enough while diving and letting CO2 build up. It makes me feel like I'm not getting enough air and kind of panicked. I know I just need to let my breath catch up. It's also why they used to recommend hyperventilation before skin diving (freediving). The idea is NOT to load up your tissues with oxygen, but rather to DUMP the CO2. They don't recommend this anymore because it can lead to shallow water blackout and drowning as you ascend. You don't feel the NEED to breathe, but you run low on oxygen, and just pass out. If you're underwater, you might drown if someone doesn't come to your aid.

Carbon monoxide is more insidious. It binds with hemoglobin. It binds preferentially over oxygen. Your body just runs low on oxygen even if there's plenty in the air. You just go to sleep. Deadly stuff.

It's probably a good idea to replace your carbon monoxide detector LONG before it's ten year expected life. The sensors used in consumer grade detectors aren't very good, and they DO wear out. We use atmospheric monitoring before entering confined spaces. One of the things we're worried about is CO. Before using the detector, it has to be tested and calibrated at least weekly, and preferably for EVERY entry. The sensors fail and need to be replaced. One of our trainers told us about testing some consumer grade detectors and deciding they mostly were garbage. But it is the best we have, so make sure to keep one with fresh batteries especially in areas that may generate CO.

I am glad you're safe, and I hope you get to stay WARM. Do you have ANY other way to heat at least part of the house? Oh, I hope your pipes don't freeze, and the hydronic system suffers no damage until the new heat plant gets hooked up.
  • AliNouveau
    The saga is all coming together. House is warm with the space heaters. The boy helped bring in firewood. We will get a new water heater tomorrow and furnace on Tuesday. Everything always has a way of working out
  • paddydiver24
    paddydiver24 Posts: 567 Member
    And since I have all this crap at home I took myself to my happy place ds2osaeerbgh.jpg
    [/quote]

Good feeling to be back on the skates? Anybody skate behind you with a pillow?...lol IS the shoulder ok with all that balancing?

• TomFit18
    TomFit18 Posts: 2,581 Member
    Good morning peeps! Happy Friday!
  • AliNouveau
    And since I have all this crap at home I took myself to my happy place ds2osaeerbgh.jpg

Good feeling to be back on the skates? Anybody skate behind you with a pillow?...lol IS the shoulder ok with all that balancing?

[/quote]

I went to the local outdoor rink. The ice was just cleaned and I was alone. Should was fine I kind of favoured it and protected it. But i did a spin and it didn't feel like it was being torn off so that was nice
  • paddydiver24
    paddydiver24 Posts: 567 Member
    Great to hear!
  • AliNouveau
    IslandGal3 wrote: »
    @AliNouveau - Glad you discovered the defective furnace before anyone was injured or worse. A good reminder to everyone to install a carbon monoxide detector in your house along with smoke detectors. They save lives everyday.

The furnace guy for a detector to alert you means there's enough CO2 in the air to make you sick. But since CO2 poisoning has similar symptoms to a stomach bug it's a good warning for sure..

Good to see you back on the ice!

Thanks. I really love skating outside I just couldn't resist
  • mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member

The furnace guy for a detector to alert you means there's enough CO2 in the air to make you sick. But since CO2 poisoning has similar symptoms to a stomach bug it's a good warning for sure..

I'm jealous, no skating for me for a while:(
  • AliNouveau
    @mcemino2 wrote: »

I'm jealous, no skating for me for a while:(

Hey you'll be back. I had to wait 6 weeks

How are you feeling
  • mskitty5923
    mskitty5923 Posts: 3 Member
    Hello everyone.Feel free to add me.
  • Bari_Tone
    Bari_Tone Posts: 45 Member
    edited December 2019
    Here for the Holidays...maybe the whole winter/early spring. Looking for a few active friends. I hit the gym at least 3 times a week. Also work hard on our farm. I log daily (or I used to in past accounts).