Too much salt?

2»

Replies

• elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Canned soup is always higher in salt/ sodium than fresh, look at their best before end dates - gotta query how they keep that 'food' in there... I find eating too much sodium makes my feet and legs cramp more and I retain water. MFP gives a guideline of 2300 and the NHS guideline is 2300.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Misssynth wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    marm1962 wrote: »
    you can always change it to match the guidelines or what ever you want to follow for it

Oh I know that. I'm not so bothered, I'm literally just curious as to why MFP is so different. But no one seems to know.

It shouldn't...it should give you the RDA top end of 2,300 mg. What does your target say? How much was in the soup?

My target is 2300mg. The soup was 2800mg. But on the can it says it would only be 23% of the recommended daily intake of salt, which is why I'm so confused!

I wouldn't even stress it. But if you want, you can eat foods high in potassium and magnesium to help offset some water weight.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    you can always change it to match the guidelines or what ever you want to follow for it

Oh I know that. I'm not so bothered, I'm literally just curious as to why MFP is so different. But no one seems to know.

It shouldn't...it should give you the RDA top end of 2,300 mg. What does your target say? How much was in the soup?

My target is 2300mg. The soup was 2800mg. But on the can it says it would only be 23% of the recommended daily intake of salt, which is why I'm so confused!

I think someone gave a good explanation upthread:

The 2300 mg recommendation is sodium, not salt, which is what the US recommendations are based on. UK labels seem to be counting salt, not sodium, and the UK recommendation for adults seems to be 6 g of salt (which converts to about 2300 mg of sodium -- so is about the same, except that sodium is in things besides salt, of course).

If the 2800 mg is salt (as seems likely), then it's only 1103 mg sodium. Now, that would be about 46% of the total recommended amount of salt (which again I think is 6 g), so probably it's that the recommended amount applies to a serving size of half the can (or 1400 mg of salt, about 551 mg of sodium). If so, that explains the 23%.

Oh thank you! I thought Sodium was only in salt. Well, until this whole thread I thought it was just another name for salt (Chemistry never was a strong subject for me). I read this and then changed what nutrition I can see on my MFP food diary and found sodium in things like tomatoes which I didn't expect, so that does explain why the soup was over my limit. I'm keeping sodium on my diary now to keep a better check on it for a while.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I think someone gave a good explanation upthread:

The 2300 mg recommendation is sodium, not salt, which is what the US recommendations are based on. UK labels seem to be counting salt, not sodium, and the UK recommendation for adults seems to be 6 g of salt (which converts to about 2300 mg of sodium -- so is about the same, except that sodium is in things besides salt, of course).

If the 2800 mg is salt (as seems likely), then it's only 1103 mg sodium. Now, that would be about 46% of the total recommended amount of salt (which again I think is 6 g), so probably it's that the recommended amount applies to a serving size of half the can (or 1400 mg of salt, about 551 mg of sodium). If so, that explains the 23%.

Oh thank you! I thought Sodium was only in salt. Well, until this whole thread I thought it was just another name for salt (Chemistry never was a strong subject for me). I read this and then changed what nutrition I can see on my MFP food diary and found sodium in things like tomatoes which I didn't expect, so that does explain why the soup was over my limit. I'm keeping sodium on my diary now to keep a better check on it for a while.

Sodium is 40% of salt (by weight). Salt is sodium chloride, so one sodium ion + one chloride ion. And sodium can encompass things that aren't table salt, like MSG. Everything has some sodium in it, sodium is one of the fundamental ions of all living things.