Long exercise purely to eat more?

Replies

• ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    ChelzFit wrote: »
    I love to exercise and if I had my way I would be doing it several times a day, although I have to be careful. I struggled with an eating disorder in my past, I would run on average 70-90 miles a week and at most consume 2,000 calories a day. Needless to say my body shut down and I was unable to do any sort of exercise for over a year. Exercising to eat more is a huge trigger for me, I just want to push myself more and more until I burn out thinking the more I burn the more I can eat. So for me I have to stick to moderation with both eating & exercise.

Thanks for this input. I'm not actually surprised that it can be a trigger for some people who are predisposed, just as calorie counting can be a trigger for someone predisposed to anorexia. If you have any thoughts on how to spot if you have a tendency to this kind of problem, I think that would be useful.

The thing that we need to remember is that a behaviour can be perfectly safe for the majority, but unhealthy for those who are predisposed to a certain problem. The solution is not for everyone to avoid it, any more than everyone should avoid gluten because some people have coeliac disease. The important thing is that each person can judge if it is healthy for them or not.

I have never had an eating disorder, but it seems to me that one of the hallmarks is anxiety, and another would be feeling driven to increase your deficit beyond a moderate level. Like, having a planned deficit of 500 but doing crazy exercise and feeling compelled to leave a thousand or more in the bank. I feel like being driven or compelled is also part of it, rather than calmly choosing to do something. Does that fit with your experience?

Anxiety is a huge part of it. In the past I have started exercising in order to eat more, the problem is I begin to think I can exercise that much everyday. I start to ignore the signs (fatigue, insomnia, moodiness) and continue to push myself because I get anxious if I am not doing as much as I did the day before. I eventually burn out and have to stop all exercise. I am an all or nothing type person and I have to work really hard at moderation when it comes to exercising and also eating. If I keep my exercise to moderate, I know I can eat and enjoy the foods I want in moderation. When I tend to over exercise I might eat more, then feel like I need to exercise more and more and not give my body the rest that it needs. In the end I usually end up exercising way more than I am consuming. Weight lifting has been a blessing for me because I am not so focused on numbers on the screen or on a watch, and I love the results.
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    I do this alot ill walk 10-15 miles just so i can eat more, Lots more with that many miles.

Never really considered if this is normal or healthy or not. Anyone else do this? Sometimes i just really like to eat bulk food instead of 1200 calories. And i like walking so why not really. -shrugs- Been working for me so far. Kind of like planned indulging

Anyone know if this could be bad for me going from 1200 to closer to 2,000-2500 with walking some days at random.

Hi, no i don't think that is unhealthy, adding ocasional longer or harder training sessions so you can eat more will actually speed your metabolism up which is a good thing.
    It is defineteley much better then training less and having to eat less.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    This is a topic that is a bit of a pet peeve for me, and I see several ideas circulating both on the forums and in real. I exercise mainly for the calories. My step count is not as high due to injuries and issues, but one of the main reasons I do more that what is "adequate for health" is because I like eating more. I haven't read the whole thread, but here are a few thoughts that kinda bother me:

- No, I'm not going to develop an eating disorder. You don't contract eating disorders like a contagious disease. You need to be predisposed and have a certain mental state to develop one. I don't believe I possess that sort of mental state. When I exercise extra, I do it because I believe a decently sized portion of real lasagna with real béchamel is worth the extra 1 hour walk when I've already done my "official" cardio for the day. I'm not any more disordered than someone who opts for a lightened up version or eats 2-3 spoonfuls and calls it a day. For weight loss people need to make certain sacrifices, and time is what I'd often choose if I physically could.

- No, I won't fall apart if at some point I lost the ability to maintain my exercise level. I would just eat less. In fact I go through weeks at a time where the most I can do is shuffle to the bathroom and back to bed. When someone loses a secondary source of income they make do. I do too with my calories. The principle is the same, except I get to indulge more when I'm more active.

- Yes, exercise improves fitness, and no, that doesn't need to be my default number one goal. There is this widespread belief that people who exercise for any other reason than fitness or strength gains are some sort of second class citizens. Any goal a person has is valid. Those who lift to look good are by no means lesser humans than those who lift to gain strength, and those who run because they like the calories are by no means lower class than those who do it to try and beat a personal best. I do resistance training because I need the strength for running with lower risk of injury and have little interest in much else strength-wise, and I do running because I like the calories. That I happen to enjoy running is just a plus, just like the calorie burn is a plus for a fitness-oriented individual.

- No, I won't damage my joints by having a 1 hour walk on top of my other cardio when I'm planning for a larger meal. I know my body and its limits. If I didn't, I would have happily opted for a 3 hour walk every single day, and yes I get to decide how to manage my time and what is worth doing for long hours and what would interfer with my responsibilities and what would't.

I agree with you, and that's why I was very careful in the wording of my post.

I really think that this issue can depend on so many individual factors that no blanket statements can be made about it that will apply to everyone.

For me personally, eating a whole pizza at a time is a behavior that was disordered in my past (loads of guilt and shame and ugly thinking came along for the ride) that I'd like to rid myself of. Overexercising isn't an option for me because I have two forms of arthritis.

I fully realize that those two specific points won't necessarily apply to someone else, though.

And therein lies the rub.

Overexercising is a behavior that some disordered people use. Does this mean that everyone who adds some extra exercise to work off an indulgence or earn some food is disordered? Not even remotely.

Wanting to eat a whole pizza was disordered behavior for me. Does this mean that doing so is disordered behavior for everyone? Not even remotely. Especially all those ripped dudes on here who are 6'2" or something and could bench press me and my son at the same time :smiley:
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    I love to exercise and if I had my way I would be doing it several times a day, although I have to be careful. I struggled with an eating disorder in my past, I would run on average 70-90 miles a week and at most consume 2,000 calories a day. Needless to say my body shut down and I was unable to do any sort of exercise for over a year. Exercising to eat more is a huge trigger for me, I just want to push myself more and more until I burn out thinking the more I burn the more I can eat. So for me I have to stick to moderation with both eating & exercise.

Thanks for this input. I'm not actually surprised that it can be a trigger for some people who are predisposed, just as calorie counting can be a trigger for someone predisposed to anorexia. If you have any thoughts on how to spot if you have a tendency to this kind of problem, I think that would be useful.

The thing that we need to remember is that a behaviour can be perfectly safe for the majority, but unhealthy for those who are predisposed to a certain problem. The solution is not for everyone to avoid it, any more than everyone should avoid gluten because some people have coeliac disease. The important thing is that each person can judge if it is healthy for them or not.

I have never had an eating disorder, but it seems to me that one of the hallmarks is anxiety, and another would be feeling driven to increase your deficit beyond a moderate level. Like, having a planned deficit of 500 but doing crazy exercise and feeling compelled to leave a thousand or more in the bank. I feel like being driven or compelled is also part of it, rather than calmly choosing to do something. Does that fit with your experience?

Anxiety is a huge part of it. In the past I have started exercising in order to eat more, the problem is I begin to think I can exercise that much everyday. I start to ignore the signs (fatigue, insomnia, moodiness) and continue to push myself because I get anxious if I am not doing as much as I did the day before. I eventually burn out and have to stop all exercise. I am an all or nothing type person and I have to work really hard at moderation when it comes to exercising and also eating. If I keep my exercise to moderate, I know I can eat and enjoy the foods I want in moderation. When I tend to over exercise I might eat more, then feel like I need to exercise more and more and not give my body the rest that it needs. In the end I usually end up exercising way more than I am consuming. Weight lifting has been a blessing for me because I am not so focused on numbers on the screen or on a watch, and I love the results.

Your comments on anxiety is so me! That is 100% me. And then, if I can't workout, I start to feel like I can't eat. I have major issues with anxiety, but never thought about how it might play into my eating disorder issues.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,447 Member
    ModernRock wrote: »
    I totally get your point, but much in life is a matter of perspective and motivation. You really can't go wrong with your argument as any movement beyond sedentary could be argued as moving more to eat more. The distinction is the motivation behind the activity vis-à-vis sustainability and overall wellness.

Sustainability is over-rated in this case. People should adapt to their current circumstance, and continue to do so in the future. Nobody goes around giving the advice to quit your job because you'll have to retire some day.

Absolutely!!

This is probably a whole other topic and could be in another thread, but the whole idea of lifestyle change and sustainability just doesn't compute with me ... it doesn't make sense.

Life changes all the time ... nothing ever remains the same.

To me it's more about being adaptable and thankfully CI<CO is adaptable.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    ModernRock wrote: »
    I totally get your point, but much in life is a matter of perspective and motivation. You really can't go wrong with your argument as any movement beyond sedentary could be argued as moving more to eat more. The distinction is the motivation behind the activity vis-à-vis sustainability and overall wellness.

Sustainability is over-rated in this case. People should adapt to their current circumstance, and continue to do so in the future. Nobody goes around giving the advice to quit your job because you'll have to retire some day.

Absolutely!!

This is probably a whole other topic and could be in another thread, but the whole idea of lifestyle change and sustainability just doesn't compute with me ... it doesn't make sense.

Life changes all the time ... nothing ever remains the same.

To me it's more about being adaptable and thankfully CI<CO is adaptable.

I'm all for sustainability, but not in the way it's often portrayed. It's one thing to expect to do a certain amount of exercise every day without fail, then stress if you can't and feel like a failure, and the amount you expect to do consistently is way out of your comfort level - that's not sustainable and could be harmful physically and mentally. No need to add unnecessary stressors that might lead to a "screw it" moment.

The kind of sustainability I'm for is the flexible kind, where you have certain goals for your activity, a realistic amount you aim for but don't expect to blindly enforce every single day regardless of circumstances, and have contingency plans in place for the days you can't achieve your goal. In my opinion, sustainability is more about the mindset itself than the particulars and is inherently flexible by definition.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,492 Member
    For me, I get used to eating more and then it's sooooo hard to go back to eating less if I don't exercise as much because I am stuck in my "new routine".
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    I watch, but don't listen to, the tv while I'm using my cardio machines. Last night it was Spaceballs.

I bet you were going Ludicrous speed.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    That's what prompted another poster to jump in with the "oh to have such time" comment. Again, no one was saying they didn't have time to work out, let alone to spend time on health.

What do you think "oh to have such time..." means, if not that they don't have such time??
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    That not having to worry about the difference between one hour or two is a luxury. No one was saying they didn't exercise. [irrelevant text removed]

A luxury is a thing that most people don't have.

No one is saying that anyone said they're not exercising, either, since we're being technical about it. We're not debating whether it's good or bad to exercise. We're talking about whether or not two hours is so incredibly much that it's hopelessly out of reach for most people.

I thought the conversation was about exercising long periods of time for food???

I don't...I tried it once when I first started dieting...it just didn't work for me mentally. I exercise now for health.

Exercise and diet (in my head) are two different things though they work hand in hand...one assisting the other.

I think one problem that I see (at least IMO) is that I believe that there are some of us that once we lose the weight...we stop exercising because we no longer need the extra calorie burn to eat more. Then what happens...we gain the weight back and have to repeat the cycle.

I think for me...instead of adjusting the exercise to fit my food desires...I need to learn to adjust the eating to fit my activity level.

I am rambling...so OP...if this works for you...go with it. If it stops working...change it.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »
    @JaydedMiss so why not try for 4mph or fast /slow intervals and make your walk more time efficient? :smiley:
    I run for 40-50 mins every morning to get at least half my steps in before work.

I walk however fast i want when im out, Just said 3 mph because 2 hours of my day spent exercising is NOT alot of my time to do. Why you talking about more time efficient than 2 hours :D

To be young with no responsibilities, where 2 hours a day is considered a drop in the bucket for time.

We all have our priorities. The average American spends 34 hours a week watching TV, but scoffs at the idea of having 2 hours in a day for their health.

Finally someone with some sense. Jeez. I havent watched tv in weeks :D

Is watching tv any different than sitting in front of a computer doing social media? Both can be entertaining...both can be a mindless waste of time.

Never said anything was bad with tv. If your going to go quoting *kitten* i say tryin to start fights atleast read what i say properly. Which clearly you did from the forum post. As i said literally the exact same thing right below what you quoted so you obviously saw it. Nice job trying to be a troll.

LOL

No...not trying to start a fight...at my age...fighting is a waste of time.

As far as being a troll...in my 64 years you are the first to ever call me that...I have been called worse a few time though.

Sorry you took it as "kitten"...whatever that means. It was meant as more of a self-reflection. Recently I cut way back on watching tv shows. I have suddenly started reading a lot...some things with valuable knowledge...some other things not so much.

Anyway...I'll try not to quote anymore "kitten"...as soon as I figure out what that means.

Sorry you were offended...I certainly didn't mean my post to be offensive to anyone.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    @JaydedMiss so why not try for 4mph or fast /slow intervals and make your walk more time efficient? :smiley:
    I run for 40-50 mins every morning to get at least half my steps in before work.

I walk however fast i want when im out, Just said 3 mph because 2 hours of my day spent exercising is NOT alot of my time to do. Why you talking about more time efficient than 2 hours :D

To be young with no responsibilities, where 2 hours a day is considered a drop in the bucket for time.

We all have our priorities. The average American spends 34 hours a week watching TV, but scoffs at the idea of having 2 hours in a day for their health.

Is watching tv any different than sitting in front of a computer doing social media? Both can be entertaining...both can be a mindless waste of time.

Never said anything was bad with tv. If your going to go quoting *kitten* i say tryin to start fights atleast read what i say properly. Which clearly you did from the forum post. As i said literally the exact same thing right below what you quoted so you obviously saw it. Nice job trying to be a troll.

What you did that provoked comment was lash out at someone suggesting that it might be easier to exercise more efficiently (a 1 hour block of time set aside just for exercise vs. 2, daily -- and I note that the original post wasn't about this, but about more like 4-5 hours of time for exercise, but not daily and maybe not in a block). She suggested helpfully that you might want to try what she did and add in some running to do the same distance more quickly and instead of just saying "not interested, don't like running" or "walking relaxes me" or anything, you dismissed her with "why would anyone care about spending a block of 2 hours on exercise, that's nothing!" (Paraphrasing, but I recommend that anyone concerned go back to the posts to confirm that they are accurately reflected.)

This is what caused someone else to say "oh, to have a life where 2 hours seems like nothing" to which you responded by suggesting that anyone who felt that way must be watching lots of TV and wasting time and didn't care enough about health. Specifically (and this is an exact quote): "If your life is truely to busy to spend 2 hour of your life on your health your likely lieing to yourself. I spend the time i used to spend sitting on the couch watching TV after work/class...."

For the record, as I said before, I think one can have a full, busy life and still get in 2 hours of exercise, sure, and even the 4-5 hours on occasional days, whatever the motive. I know people who fit in training for an ironman or the like, after all.

Don't think this has much to do with the original topic, but I do think you are somewhat distorting what happened (maybe not intentionally) to be able to act offended, when I think the offensive comment was you telling people concerned about efficiency in exercise that they must be wasting lots of time and not as concerned about health. Also, the 2 hour thing was never about "on your health" but having reason to care about spending a daily block of 2 hours on intentional exercise vs. finding a way to fit it in in 1 hour, which you had dismissed as a silly thing to have any concern about to someone who was just trying to be helpful.

On topic, I don't think exercising for 4-5 hours on an occasional day (let alone walking around for that much over the course of a day) is that big a deal or unsustainable, although for me trying to do it every day would be (but lots of people with active jobs do it, and that's great, and it sounds like you might have such a job now, so that's cool). Doing something on an occasional day that you don't do every day doesn't seem weird to me at all. Doing it in order to eat more only wouldn't be something I'd recommend, but if you are also doing it because you enjoy it and not finding it a chore or a way of punishing yourself (and I saw nothing to suggest that you were doing the latter), than sure, whatever, seems fine. Bingeing not great, but you clarified you didn't mean bingeing. I similarly like that long workouts allow for more indulgence than if I didn't include them in my week (indeed, I'm recovering from an injury and taking December off from long workouts, and it's a bit of a pain although not that hard to adjust to).
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited December 2016
    Re:
    On topic, I don't think exercising for 4-5 hours on an occasional day (let alone walking around for that much over the course of a day) is that big a deal or unsustainable, although for me trying to do it every day would be (but lots of people with active jobs do it, and that's great, and it sounds like you might have such a job now, so that's cool). Doing something on an occasional day that you don't do every day doesn't seem weird to me at all. Doing it in order to eat more only wouldn't be something I'd recommend, but if you are also doing it because you enjoy it and not finding it a chore or a way of punishing yourself (and I saw nothing to suggest that you were doing the latter), than sure, whatever, seems fine. Bingeing not great, but you clarified you didn't mean bingeing. I similarly like that long workouts allow for more indulgence than if I didn't include them in my week (indeed, I'm recovering from an injury and taking December off from long workouts, and it's a bit of a pain although not that hard to adjust to)

Yah My job is super active step wise :p Which is good because i havent the slightest idea how to track the exercise of the lifting and stairs, So it will help give me a bit of a calorie buffer the steps taken :p Definatly not punishing myself i love my long walk pizza days, Before it got so cold anyway -.- Just sucks without any wiggle room at 1200 calories :P Hope you feel beter december seems a terrible time to be injured, All the goodies around people keep talking about hah.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

True.. This is why i do my "foruming" on my phone while I'm walking. I can either sit down for 2 hours reading all the posts on mfp or i can walk while I'm reading them. I kill 2 birds with one stone :smiley:
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member

True.. This is why i do my "foruming" on my phone while I'm walking. I can either sit down for 2 hours reading all the posts on mfp or i can walk while I'm reading them. I kill 2 birds with one stone :smiley:

Mhmm... foruming while walking doesn't sound good for your posture :smiley:
  • Annie_01

I am a nature and people watcher while I walk. I live close to a river and a lake that has trails. It is beautiful and peaceful despite the fact that it is used by many walkers, runners and cyclists. I hardly ever take my phone with me...it is my serenity time.

When I lived in Portland Oregon...I walked along the river there too...I was too busy stepping over homeless people to use my phone. There were every where plus the street kids. In Seattle Washington I lived close to the bay...so no phone. I also walked to the market area and there were just too many people to bo using a phone.

I lived in Washington DC for about a year. People there were hard wired to their phones. They were like a third appendage. It was like watching zombies walking around...they never looked up...never saw the people that they were passing on the sidewalk. I found that troubling. DC is such a diverse city...a city that you could find people from all parts of the world. One of my favorite walking routes was through embassy row...every nationality...every faith being practiced...every culture.

I did used to wear my Ipod to listen to music...I realized one day that I would rather hear the birds and the noises of the city. Plus...I needed to hear if there was a bad guy coming up behind me! LOL Kind of just kidding. Seriously though...I could not hear the cyclist nor the runners coming up behind with music blasting in my ear.

Okay...I am rambling again...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

I am a nature and people watcher while I walk. I live close to a river and a lake that has trails. It is beautiful and peaceful despite the fact that it is used by many walkers, runners and cyclists. I hardly ever take my phone with me...it is my serenity time.

When I lived in Portland Oregon...I walked along the river there too...I was too busy stepping over homeless people to use my phone. There were every where plus the street kids. In Seattle Washington I lived close to the bay...so no phone. I also walked to the market area and there were just too many people to bo using a phone.

I lived in Washington DC for about a year. People there were hard wired to their phones. They were like a third appendage. It was like watching zombies walking around...they never looked up...never saw the people that they were passing on the sidewalk. I found that troubling. DC is such a diverse city...a city that you could find people from all parts of the world. One of my favorite walking routes was through embassy row...every nationality...every faith being practiced...every culture.

I did used to wear my Ipod to listen to music...I realized one day that I would rather hear the birds and the noises of the city. Plus...I needed to hear if there was a bad guy coming up behind me! LOL Kind of just kidding. Seriously though...I could not hear the cyclist nor the runners coming up behind with music blasting in my ear.

Okay...I am rambling again...

I hear ya, I probably wouldn't take my phone if i was walking in the city or on a scenic walking path. But i get all my steps in with out leaving home. I live at the end of a culdesac and have a huge yard with gates on either side of my house, so i do 20 lap or 3500ish step blocks all throughout the day, so i need my phone to kinda kill the boredom.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited December 2016

Mhmm... foruming while walking doesn't sound good for your posture :smiley:

Or your toes :wink: .