Long exercise purely to eat more?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Hope you feel beter december seems a terrible time to be injured, All the goodies around people keep talking about hah.

Thanks. Yeah, it's a pain! Especially since I use running as a stress release.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »
    @JaydedMiss so why not try for 4mph or fast /slow intervals and make your walk more time efficient? :smiley:
    I run for 40-50 mins every morning to get at least half my steps in before work.

I walk however fast i want when im out, Just said 3 mph because 2 hours of my day spent exercising is NOT alot of my time to do. Why you talking about more time efficient than 2 hours :D

To be young with no responsibilities, where 2 hours a day is considered a drop in the bucket for time.

We all have our priorities. The average American spends 34 hours a week watching TV, but scoffs at the idea of having 2 hours in a day for their health.

Finally someone with some sense. Jeez. I havent watched tv in weeks :D

Is watching tv any different than sitting in front of a computer doing social media? Both can be entertaining...both can be a mindless waste of time.

True.. This is why i do my "foruming" on my phone while I'm walking. I can either sit down for 2 hours reading all the posts on mfp or i can walk while I'm reading them. I kill 2 birds with one stone :smiley:

Mhmm... foruming while walking doesn't sound good for your posture :smiley:

Or your toes :wink: .

Haha I shall refrain from posting my broken toe pic again :wink:
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Hope you feel beter december seems a terrible time to be injured, All the goodies around people keep talking about hah.

Ah btw, speaking about stress release, walking can also help tremendously, especially in a nature set:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19568835
  • lemurcat12
    edited December 2016

Ah btw, speaking about stress release, walking can also help tremendously, especially in a nature set:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19568835

Yeah, I agree.

Unfortunately we have the delightful polar vortex at the moment (well, on the way -- it's cold now, but is supposed to snow storm and then plunge to around 0 F, yippee), but I'm trying to get in some outside walking anyway!

• Christine_72
    I dont know how you guys manage in winter! The coldest it gets here during the day in winter would be around 12C (53F), and we all walk around shivering looking like Rudolph lol It's going to a balmy 30 (86F) today :tongue:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I dont know how you guys manage in winter! The coldest it gets here during the day in winter would be around 12C (53F), and we all walk around shivering looking like Rudolph lol It's going to a balmy 30 (86F) today :tongue:

-25C here right now (ask me how I know), warmest it's been all week. :angry:
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

It has to do with some evil dog >:) lol
  • Christine_72

I can not even imagine what that temperature would feel like. It must be like like torture every time you step out the front door accompanied by the constant nose runs :(
  • nutmegoreo
    edited December 2016
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Yes, yes it does. And it wasn't even the dog I lovingly refer to as Satan (much less frequently than when I first brought her home).

I can not even imagine what that temperature would feel like. It must be like like torture every time you step out the front door accompanied by the constant nose runs :(

It feels like my lungs are on fire. I had to chase an escaped dog today, without time to gear up, so I was without socks (I had shoes, obviously), wearing PJ top, and my jacket wide open. I have been staying inside as much as possible this week. As much as I want to go swimming, I just don't want to be out there in it. Today is warmer, so hopefully next week keeps improving. I'm coughing up my lungs, and the dog is happily napping after her adventure through the neighbourhood.
  • Christine_72

Yes, yes it does. And it wasn't even the dog I lovingly refer to as Satan (much less frequently than when I first brought her home).

It feels like my lungs are on fire. I had to chase an escaped dog today, without time to gear up, so I was without socks (I had shoes, obviously), wearing PJ top, and my jacket wide open. I have been staying inside as much as possible this week. As much as I want to go swimming, I just don't want to be out there in it. Today is warmer, so hopefully next week keeps improving. I'm coughing up my lungs, and the dog is happily napping after her adventure through the neighbourhood.

Oh no hehe, that must have been a funny sight :laugh: Sorry, not sorry :wink:
  • nutmegoreo

Oh no hehe, that must have been a funny sight :laugh: Sorry, not sorry :wink:

It's all good. I've calmed down. She's lucky she's cute. It was a good reminder that I should get back to the C25K.
  • lemurcat12

Ugh.

My family is all in the midwest, but I was born and lived in Miami until age 5. When I was just turned 3 my parents brought me to my grandparents and were all excited to show me my first white Christmas. When they took me out in the snow I started crying.

I think that's a perfectly reasonable reaction still. ;-) Yet for some reason as an adult I have lived in northern Massachusetts, Michigan, and Chicago, sigh.

Not -25C here, though, so there's that! ;-)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    @JaydedMiss so why not try for 4mph or fast /slow intervals and make your walk more time efficient? :smiley:
    I run for 40-50 mins every morning to get at least half my steps in before work.

I walk however fast i want when im out, Just said 3 mph because 2 hours of my day spent exercising is NOT alot of my time to do. Why you talking about more time efficient than 2 hours :D

To be young with no responsibilities, where 2 hours a day is considered a drop in the bucket for time.

We all have our priorities. The average American spends 34 hours a week watching TV, but scoffs at the idea of having 2 hours in a day for their health.

Is watching tv any different than sitting in front of a computer doing social media? Both can be entertaining...both can be a mindless waste of time.

True.. This is why i do my "foruming" on my phone while I'm walking. I can either sit down for 2 hours reading all the posts on mfp or i can walk while I'm reading them. I kill 2 birds with one stone :smiley:

I am a nature and people watcher while I walk. I live close to a river and a lake that has trails. It is beautiful and peaceful despite the fact that it is used by many walkers, runners and cyclists. I hardly ever take my phone with me...it is my serenity time.

When I lived in Portland Oregon...I walked along the river there too...I was too busy stepping over homeless people to use my phone. There were every where plus the street kids. In Seattle Washington I lived close to the bay...so no phone. I also walked to the market area and there were just too many people to bo using a phone.

I lived in Washington DC for about a year. People there were hard wired to their phones. They were like a third appendage. It was like watching zombies walking around...they never looked up...never saw the people that they were passing on the sidewalk. I found that troubling. DC is such a diverse city...a city that you could find people from all parts of the world. One of my favorite walking routes was through embassy row...every nationality...every faith being practiced...every culture.

I did used to wear my Ipod to listen to music...I realized one day that I would rather hear the birds and the noises of the city. Plus...I needed to hear if there was a bad guy coming up behind me! LOL Kind of just kidding. Seriously though...I could not hear the cyclist nor the runners coming up behind with music blasting in my ear.

Okay...I am rambling again...

I hear ya, I probably wouldn't take my phone if i was walking in the city or on a scenic walking path. But i get all my steps in with out leaving home. I live at the end of a culdesac and have a huge yard with gates on either side of my house, so i do 20 lap or 3500ish step blocks all throughout the day, so i need my phone to kinda kill the boredom.

I don't know how you do it...I get bored easily.

I live in an apartment that has a partially enclosed hallway that forms a loop. Six laps and I have in one mile. During bad weather I have used it to walk...I am loony by the time I have finished those six laps. We have a gym with tread mills but to me...that is even worse. I would rather walk with Leslie!
  • nutmegoreo

Ugh.

My family is all in the midwest, but I was born and lived in Miami until age 5. When I was just turned 3 my parents brought me to my grandparents and were all excited to show me my first white Christmas. When they took me out in the snow I started crying.

I think that's a perfectly reasonable reaction still. ;-) Yet for some reason as an adult I have lived in northern Massachusetts, Michigan, and Chicago, sigh.

I agree, that is a perfectly reasonable reaction.
  • Christine_72

I am a nature and people watcher while I walk. I live close to a river and a lake that has trails. It is beautiful and peaceful despite the fact that it is used by many walkers, runners and cyclists. I hardly ever take my phone with me...it is my serenity time.

When I lived in Portland Oregon...I walked along the river there too...I was too busy stepping over homeless people to use my phone. There were every where plus the street kids. In Seattle Washington I lived close to the bay...so no phone. I also walked to the market area and there were just too many people to bo using a phone.

I lived in Washington DC for about a year. People there were hard wired to their phones. They were like a third appendage. It was like watching zombies walking around...they never looked up...never saw the people that they were passing on the sidewalk. I found that troubling. DC is such a diverse city...a city that you could find people from all parts of the world. One of my favorite walking routes was through embassy row...every nationality...every faith being practiced...every culture.

I did used to wear my Ipod to listen to music...I realized one day that I would rather hear the birds and the noises of the city. Plus...I needed to hear if there was a bad guy coming up behind me! LOL Kind of just kidding. Seriously though...I could not hear the cyclist nor the runners coming up behind with music blasting in my ear.

Okay...I am rambling again...

I hear ya, I probably wouldn't take my phone if i was walking in the city or on a scenic walking path. But i get all my steps in with out leaving home. I live at the end of a culdesac and have a huge yard with gates on either side of my house, so i do 20 lap or 3500ish step blocks all throughout the day, so i need my phone to kinda kill the boredom.

I don't know how you do it...I get bored easily.

I live in an apartment that has a partially enclosed hallway that forms a loop. Six laps and I have in one mile. During bad weather I have used it to walk...I am loony by the time I have finished those six laps. We have a gym with tread mills but to me...that is even worse. I would rather walk with Leslie!

Ha my neighbours thought i was a loony woman pacing around my house when i first started doing it :flushed: But its been 2 years and they're used to it now... i think :huh:
    It's just become part of my daily routine these days, i cant sit still for long periods without getting antsy, and i hate walking for miles and miles at a time, partly because of shin splints and because i get bored after 30 minutes, phone or no phone.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    I have started doing step ups on the bottom step of the stairs, because I needed a quick killer cardio exercise I could do indoors in the winter and I have no exercise machinery nor room to store any. I've got up to 25 minutes at a trot. I'm not sure if I can go any further, not because of endurance but because of staring at the wall continously for 25min. But hey, it torches calories, and it's doing wonders for my knees (can practically bounce upstairs after hobbling for 6 months due to an injury).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,447 Member

I do a lot of it while riding the bus to and from work. I've got 1-1.5 hours of sitting on those buses each day ... might as well catch up with what's going on online. :)
  • Machka9

Ugh.

I felt that way every single winter in Canada until 2009 ... when I moved to Australia. :)

While I would like to move back to Canada at some point, I think I'd have to be really selective where I'd go.

• Christine_72
    Machka9 wrote: »

Ugh.

I felt that way every single winter in Canada until 2009 ... when I moved to Australia. :)

While I would like to move back to Canada at some point, I think I'd have to be really selective where I'd go.

Whenever i think of freezing weather i automatically think of Antarctica..... and Canada :lol:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »

Ugh.

Whenever i think of freezing weather i automatically think of Antarctica..... and Canada :lol:

But keep in mind that Canada isn't always cold.

Winnipeg (where I lived for 13 years) might hit -40C in the winter, but could hit +40C in the summer. :)

Living here in Tasmania now, the climate is a lot more consistent (+5C in winter and +20C in summer) ... and I really miss the +40C days. But not so much the -40C days.