2017 Adopt a Noob Discussion

Options

Replies

• Wandering_1
    Wandering_1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Nikki and I weigh 228 pounds. I am 49 years old and I would like to lose 100 lbs. I've tried MFP a while ago and I lost 37 lbs so I know this can work. After surgery I gained it all back. This time around I am having a hard time getting back on track. I'm not tracking my food because I'm not eating healthy. I know MFP isn't just about eating to lose weight but also to start eating healthy foods and living a healthy life.

I would love a mentor who can help me get back on track and stick with it. I would love to have someone who will cheer me on and tell me when I'm doing something wrong. I don't like coddling and prefer the honest to goodness truth. Just don't be mean. I need someone who can commit to a long term program. I don't want to feel abandoned because truth be told if you give up then I will likely do the same. I NEED support and want a friend.

If you are willing to take on someone who is very serious about losing weight and living healthy then I'm your girl.
  • vvickiee
    vvickiee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am a little late to the discussion, but I would LOVE to have a mentor. I am trying really hard to lose weight, but didn't get serious until about a month ago. I am already down 10 pounds! YAY! But Im not big on exercise. So anyone who could help motivate me would be great.
  • tay150
    tay150 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Someone please adopt me! I am 229 lbs currently and extremely motivated to hit a goal weight of 150 . If there is someone out there that has the time(any time) to motivate me with advice, kind words, tips, I'd be so grateful!
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    ^any one of you three above me are welcome to check out my mentor-bio. If you like what you read, you may Friend-Request me (just don't leave the optional message blank. Please use that to tell me a little about yourself).
  • pmyn29
    pmyn29 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I want to be adopted ! I've lifted on and off for a few years now but just recently got serious about it. Getting advice from a mentor would be lit
  • henryjamesmaloney
    henryjamesmaloney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Looking for a mentor! Need help with gaining weight/muscle mass.
    I currently weigh just under 70kg, 5"11 but really want to be around 80kg.
    Found it hard to find a fitness/gym plan that I have enjoyed and that has shown good progression, hoping someone more experienced could help me out!!
    Thanks
  • rconboy64
    rconboy64 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Would love someone to help and motivate me. 243 lbs.. starting to see some type 2 diabetes issues... time to get things right
  • katydougherty
    katydougherty Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Pick me, pick me! LOL 50 year old female. Just started my journey 5 weeks and 1 day ago, but have lost 14.2 lbs. Would like to lose another 50, but would be much happier even at 40 more lbs lost. Started at 203.8 and now I am at 189.6. 5'7" tall. I'm pretty motivated and so far have kept to a 1200ish caloric intake per day and ride 10 miles a day on my recumbent bike.
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I would LOVE a mentor if people are still around to do so.
    I am a 29yo 4'9" vegan with a large frame. My goal range is 125-129, and I have lost about 20 pounds since November trying lots of different ways of eating. I have tried OMAD in the past with great success, but I never made it past the second week. This time, I would really like to stick it out AND start lifting again, as I absolutely love weight training. I would love to have a mentor who can relate to the struggle of losing as a short woman and/or losing for someone who builds muscle (and therefore scale weight) very easily and/or someone using OMAD to lose.
  • MrCool85
    MrCool85 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    wow!!
  • stephenhall_hr
    stephenhall_hr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I could do with being adopted.

Last May I started to take control of my life (about time after 43 years living!) and stopped drinking alcohol completely. In July last year I started running regularly and signed up for my first 10k in September. Since then I have ran a couple of half marathons (PB 1:42:10) and am now training for my first full marathon in October.

The easy runs I'm doing fine - it's just when it comes to intervals or hills that I either skip or turn into an easy run.

Joining a running club isn't really an option for me - I tend to run at 4/5am as life gets in the way if I don't do it first thing. So I'm looking for someone/folks to help keep me motivated, hold me to account, give support etc.

Any takers?
  • CyclingRoadie6
    CyclingRoadie6 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would be willing and able to be a mentor to anyone looking for motivation and/or guidance toward their goal/s.

A little about me...

I work and live within the sporting world, and have two amazing kids that keep me active as well. On top of it all, my wife is a dietitian, of which I have adopted her philosophy of healthy eating. I have the deep understanding that 'health at every size' is more important to long-term living and one's mental health, than anything else.

My background is cycling, but I also have a good understanding of what it takes to achieve results in other areas of fitness, so I can adapt quite easy to whatever is thrown at me. If I don't have an answer for you right away, I will not give you some sort of B-S, but will find the correct one for you.

If you are looking for motivation, guidance, or just need someone to chat with, PM me and I will be more than happy to help. **Please don't send me any crap, or think I am here for any other reason. I will only friend those who are serious.

Lets get started!!
  • PiscesSoul8
    PiscesSoul8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind being "adopted" :) Being more involved and community minded is a part of my "get in shape" goals. Please let me know how to proceed!
  • Wendy2911
    Wendy2911 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm shy so would rather receive friend requests than send them, if that's ok.
    I'm very overweight so coming back on here again as I love the app, I've been on and off before but I'm starting to suffer health problems and many of my friends are having mild heart attacks so I'm quite determined this time as I think it's my turn next!
    I live in York UK, am almost 49, have an office job that ties me to my desk and I'm very unfit so I'm not going to take up jogging - it's going to be a very gradual process as I'm having trouble with my knees.
    So anyone who is a similar age, in the UK and would like to adopt me would be great.
    Thanks in advance.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Calling all mentors! Sending a group blast to everyone who has volunteered to help mentor noobs and hasn't yet reached to me to let me know you are full and/or no longer taking noobs.

@AdamAthletic @adammeynell86 @adipace815 @aelunyu @atombod @AJ_G @apullum @AverageJoeFit @BrandNewMan1970 @brdnw @briohne128 @cabwj @cathipa @chapiano @ChrissyC1985 @clairew931 @cnbbnc @CyclingRoadie6 @Djproulx @DoriLat @EbonyDahlia @eluvscats @Evamutt @Fairlieboy @Fitgirllife72 @GhostGirlE @hamsammy67 @JstTheWayIam @joemama68 @Kullerva @lmhbuss @lv2lft @madisonamanda @MargaretSans @mk2fit @moniquemallarifitness @MotunStrong @ninthnarnian @NRGTRAINING @OldSportOldsport @peaceout_aly @rajeshvvcool @ransaka @Rachelmilloy @RA60172 @rickweinberg @riffraff2112 @rybo @SamMarriottPT @siraphine @shredcamps @sobriquet01 @smc0170 @Spliner1969 @StephAStephan @sunflowerhippi @toadhunter911 @Titanuim @tjradd73 @Valrotha @Vegatron70 @Verity1111 @vollans @zcb94

We are 1/2 way through the year and I wanted to check in and encourage all the amazing mentors to check out recent posts in this discussion and reach out to folks you think you'd like to help.

Noobs & Mentors, please come back to this discussion and report your progress or positive experience (negative ones can come to me via PM) with having been a mentor or been adopted.

Any mentors that were mentioned in this post that are full or want to be taken off the list, please send me a PM and we will update it ASAP.
  • pjowkar
    pjowkar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind being "adopted" :) Being more involved and community minded is a part of my "get in shape" goals. Please let me know how to proceed!

Do you still need a mentor?
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Alex wrote: »
    Calling all mentors! Sending a group blast to everyone who has volunteered to help mentor noobs and hasn't yet reached to me to let me know you are full and/or no longer taking noobs.

Any mentors that were mentioned in this post that are full or want to be taken off the list, please send me a PM and we will update it ASAP.

I'm still open. Feel free to ask me questions, too!
  • CyclingRoadie6
    CyclingRoadie6 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Alex wrote: »

@AdamAthletic @adammeynell86 @adipace815 @aelunyu @atombod @AJ_G @apullum @AverageJoeFit @BrandNewMan1970 @brdnw @briohne128 @cabwj @cathipa @chapiano @ChrissyC1985 @clairew931 @cnbbnc @CyclingRoadie6 @Djproulx @DoriLat @EbonyDahlia @eluvscats @Evamutt @Fairlieboy @Fitgirllife72 @GhostGirlE @hamsammy67 @JstTheWayIam @joemama68 @Kullerva @lmhbuss @lv2lft @madisonamanda @MargaretSans @mk2fit @moniquemallarifitness @MotunStrong @ninthnarnian @NRGTRAINING @OldSportOldsport @peaceout_aly @rajeshvvcool @ransaka @Rachelmilloy @RA60172 @rickweinberg @riffraff2112 @rybo @SamMarriottPT @siraphine @shredcamps @sobriquet01 @smc0170 @Spliner1969 @StephAStephan @sunflowerhippi @toadhunter911 @Titanuim @tjradd73 @Valrotha @Vegatron70 @Verity1111 @vollans @zcb94

We are 1/2 way through the year and I wanted to check in and encourage all the amazing mentors to check out recent posts in this discussion and reach out to folks you think you'd like to help.

Noobs & Mentors, please come back to this discussion and report your progress or positive experience (negative ones can come to me via PM) with having been a mentor or been adopted.

I`m still available to help anyone who would like a mentor. I can take more than one if needed.
  • serenaac17
    serenaac17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey!! So I'm 20 years old, am around 5"4 and weigh about 171 pounds. I just have no clue where to start with excersise. I'm looking for a mentor or someone who can just answer some questions I have about getting started :)
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Sure. I am always happy to adopt new people. The people I adopted at the beginning of the year have disappeared which is kind of sad but that is just the ebb and flow of MFP life I guess.

Quick recap of my area's of fitness interest at the moment. I love lifting heavy and doing aerial work (aerial hammock and lyra). Just started pole dancing and want to get into perfecting handstands and mastering gymnastic rings in the coming months. Still dreaming of being bendy enough to do the splits but that is a very long range goal as I am kind of old and have been flexible as a tinman for most of my life.

Weightwise I am back into trying to lose mode as I got a bit lax with my diet and forgot that you can't out exercise a bad diet so I can relate to the angst of scale related bad news.

This discussion has been closed.