Leaky gut

13»

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    Oh and “knots” in your muscles are properly called adhesions.

ah thank you. that was the word i was looking for.
    If you actually read my first post(the one you responded to) you would of seen the word much earlier.

When somebody in the health/fitness field tells you so you buy their services/products.

Fairly common to make up a condition that doesn't exist so they can market sell a product such as muscle adhesions-foam roller, leaky gut-diet plan, or in the old days snake oil-you name it  The only thing that can come positive from it is a placebo effect.   Usually is a nocebo effect though which can be harmful.

that's nice, my doctors acknowledge that my muscles tighten into "knots"
    whatever you'd like to call it.
    If this is a money-making racket, my chiropractor, massage therapist and physiotherapist all missed that memo.
    Here is where we differ, you both believe these are actual doctors and practice medicine.  Any doctor that went to medical school will tell you 99% of these individuals are quacks because they don't base their practice on evidence, nor hold significant weight in science .  If you want to believe they are the gods of the medical community great...I'm not trying to change your mind because it is obviously neither of you are open to change.  If you can present one citation that muscle adhesions exist or foam rolling improves your performance to running with a high evidence study, I would be open to that thought. 

I quote you Dr. Baraki, MD.
     This is just one issue we have with "fascia" and "adhesion" gurus who claim they can actually do anything about these issues (...despite the fact that the problems they diagnose haven't even been shown to exist at all, much less correlate with pain).

Adhesions are medically defined as Abdominal Adhesions that result from either post surgery or post trama.  The scar tissue involves organs in the abdominal region.  They don't just appear in random muscles around the body. 

For those interested, here is a link to foam rollers or roller massager used study.
     https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4637917/
    Currently, there are no systematic reviews that have specifically appraised the literature and reported the effects of SMR using a foam roll or roller massager on these parameters. This creates a gap in the translation from research to practice for clinicians and fitness professionals who use these tool and recommend these products to their clients. 
    Mauntel et al13 conducted a systematic review assessing the effectiveness of the various myofascial therapies... The authors appraised 10 studies and found that myofascial therapies, as a group, significantly improved ROM but produced no significant changes in muscle function following treatment.13 

Everybody have a good day regardless what you believe.

I think there's a disconnect in this conversation if I might intervene here.

I think you are talking about the scammers who try to convince people they can do that stupid fascia foam rolling and break up all sorts of things and get rid of cellulite and change your body shape and all sort of ridiculous claims. I've seen the pictures with the bruising from this stupid form of charlatan-induced foam rolling. I agree with you that it's ridiculous.

Everyone else is talking about easing aches and pains, basically, as someone said earlier, self-massage to ease aching muscles. Not to do anything else. A different sort of roller is used for this and no one gets bruised, either or expects anything but feeling a little better.

I just figured that all the talk was about myofascial trigger points.... or more commonly called muscle "knots".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3440564/
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2018
    There's a world of difference between foam rolling quads that are a bit tensed up from a run and what that article is talking about.

That's the disconnect I'm talking about.

I used to foam roll, but found greater relief from dynamic stretching, so I stopped, but I understand why people do it. It's not for the goofy reasons.

The second claim was
    it breaks up my knots, lacrosse balls and tennis balls have been used for years. massage too. same thing
    The article show overwelmingly that knots dont exist by lack of evidence.

What is disrupting is that supposedly her doctors informed her that "her muscles tighten into knots". If they were actually medical doctors, then this is harmful and against the Hippocratic Oath. I would sincerely hope that this wasn't the case, but more of them saying along of the lines "the tightness sensation".

When certain individuals (massage therapists, chiropractors, social media guros, etc) suggesting that there is something wrong with your body with zero evidence to back it up, they can be doing harm as well because people trust what they are saying is true.

If brand companies and individuals want to sell you a foam roller, just market them accordingly. Such as..."They make you feel good" or "You might get a larger ROM that could last seconds to a couple minutes".
    Don't make up something that doesnt exist that it miraculously cures such as knots in muscles to make a buck.

• Chieflrg
    NQHS1981 wrote: »
    Seriously though - if you're worried about gut problems,the best person to ask is your doctor.

I've asked my internist, my dermatologist, my oncologist, my surgeon, my gynecologist, my dentist, a functional medicine practioner and my psychiatrist....none of them believe in leaky gut. Sick of the steroids and other meds. Looking to heal with a (mostly) plant based diet. :-)

It's pretty telling when even your functional med doc is telling you it doesn't exist.

Protip: Unless you have Crohn's or another IBD, you don't have a gut that leaks.

Or a tumor that has broken through ;).
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Seriously though - if you're worried about gut problems,the best person to ask is your doctor.

I've asked my internist, my dermatologist, my oncologist, my surgeon, my gynecologist, my dentist, a functional medicine practioner and my psychiatrist....none of them believe in leaky gut. Sick of the steroids and other meds. Looking to heal with a (mostly) plant based diet. :-)

It's pretty telling when even your functional med doc is telling you it doesn't exist.

Protip: Unless you have Crohn's or another IBD, you don't have a gut that leaks.

I like to think that maybe the OP would have known that if she had that, but it's true that I've seen stranger things on the Internet...
  • Chieflrg
    edited November 2018

I like to think that maybe the OP would have known that if she had that, but it's true that I've seen stranger things on the Internet...

Personally, I didnt know or my GP.

Depending on where the tumor is, it can be very silent and late stages.

Especially if one has other major health issues like autoimmune diseases.

Ironically are falsely claimed to be the result of leaky gut syndrome at times by certain guros, it can be masked until it's too late.