Do I count calories from added bacon grease? Or just the bacon?

2»

Replies

• suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    BHFF wrote: »
    My first question is....please tell me its Turkey bacon???

Nope. It's the real deal.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    My first question is....please tell me its Turkey bacon???

That would be a sad breakfast casserole. What's wrong with regular bacon?
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Turkey bacon is like non alcoholic beer.

I kid. I like turkey bacon, but it's NOT bacon.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    And fyi for any of you reading this....any oil you put into the pan, spray that consists of calories etc, you must count that as calories. If you buy hamburger try turkey burger much healthier and very little grease.

No. Ground turkey is too lean. I eat 80/20 ground beef. The only time I get the leaner stuff is if it's cheaper (sometimes it is), and then I need to add fat to the meal in some other form (butter, extra cheese, etc). Of course, I eat LCHF. Not all of us subscribe to the low fat way of going about things. But, yes, fat needs to be counted, if you are counting.

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited December 2016
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Interesting. When I cook a few slices of bacon I usually use the bacon grease to fry my eggs in. Never thought about adding the extra calories since it came from the bacon that I'm consuming right then.

Every package of bacon I've ever seen represents the servings and calories for "cooked slices"...which would assume that some fat would be rendered off and not consumed...by not accounting for the fat separately with your eggs, you're consuming more calories than you think you are.

Depends on what country you live in. I'm assuming you're in the US as I recently learned that's how they do it there. In Canada, the nutritional information on a package of bacon includes all the calories from fat and does not assume you'll drain it (since it has no way of knowing how crispy you do or don't like your bacon - nor if you're going to use the fat to cook something else).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Interesting. When I cook a few slices of bacon I usually use the bacon grease to fry my eggs in. Never thought about adding the extra calories since it came from the bacon that I'm consuming right then.

I've always done it like this too. Plus i get my bacon from the deli section or butcher which they put in a plain plastic bag, no nutritional label on it.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Dangit I used to make asparagus and egg and bacon "salad" on WW and was like teehee look at all this bacon grease I get for free to dress the asparagus with. Dumb. :D